Sponsored

Remembering the first time you heard that engine cooling fan scream!

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I actually like how loud the cooling fans are. When I'm driving through parking lots or where there is lots of pedestrian traffic, I'll put the ac on full blast, people will usually look like wtf is that and move out the way quickly. It really gets ppls attention. It sounds like a f@#$ing jet!!! Lol

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
During my first test drive of a JL 3.6 Rubi auto during the summer...it roared as expected. The salesperson said most of the 3.6s were that loud.
My 3.6 JLRU auto hasn't roared yet...did I get a defective Rubi?!?

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
I've been lucky, I never heard mine. I have a 2 door manual and it's never loud. Even in 100 degree days with ac on driving uphill or sitting at a stop light.
Me too!! Also 2 door manual. I've never noticed mine but I always have the radio on

Sponsored

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaseyrandall.design
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Technology
It was the day after. Still only 30 miles on her. When I open the JL door you could smell that new car smell a mile away. So when I got in her that next morning and stopped at the local Starbucks and got out my JL and it happened! It sounded like a freight train was going off under the hood. I got that shocking feeling when you feel that chill go through you. I immediately stopped walking away from it turned back as it was still roaring got in and went straight home. I was listening on the way home if anything else would go wrong. That was a long shitty ride home! So I get out, I popped the hood but I didn’t see anything outta the ordinary. I walked in my house and cussed one word a few times and it was the one you enjoy saying during the intimacy time with your partner. I thought I got a dud. Something was wrong with it. It was still early 730am and planned to call the dealer. While my mind was just totally racing and horrified at the same time about what’s up with my new Jeep JL. I quickly swung on the internet and got info. Plenty of it. It was all good for me. It was a supposed normal thing and nothing to worry about. I was smiling again as I sipped that coffee watching my JL through the Starbucks window :)
I recently purchased a used, but beautiful and sturdy Wrangler Sahara JL unlimited and fell in love. Best vehicle I've ever owned. During this relocation road trip from socal to Austin (was temporarily living and loving in socal because covid) the JL's cooling fan kicks on and I am beside myself, praying that nothing goes wrong on this 29 hour / 10 day road trip through desert during August. Fml I think, crossing my fingers I last one stop to the next. After a while of googling potential issues I discover this^ write up and I've never felt more relieved in my life. I will join you in sipping on coffee and watching my JL through the Starbucks window. 🦖☕

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I recently purchased a used, but beautiful and sturdy Wrangler Sahara JL unlimited and fell in love. Best vehicle I've ever owned. During this relocation road trip from socal to Austin (was temporarily living and loving in socal because covid) the JL's cooling fan kicks on and I am beside myself, praying that nothing goes wrong on this 29 hour / 10 day road trip through desert during August. Fml I think, crossing my fingers I last one stop to the next. After a while of googling potential issues I discover this^ write up and I've never felt more relieved in my life. I will join you in sipping on coffee and watching my JL through the Starbucks window. 🦖☕
@Toasty Cheesitz

The forum post above you are referring to is a very old post. That particular TSB was superseded and the TSB you will want to have applied to your 2018 JL is TSB 18-092-19 (Power Control Update) .

Along with it addressing the loud fan, it also addresses a real problem area in regard to the 2018 JL/JLU and how it's dual battery system works..

DO read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-question-for-the-experts.66343/post-1403030

Here is the link to the TSB:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...CJTrUc5dWEpVNAqS2o2sEuNDlihcQE17S3oyENpZrKnbE

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

its a sweeet sweet sound of the cooling fan doing its job keeping the temps all good in the hood. LOL i dont Mind it to much.

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
But you've gotta love how quick the ac gets cold with the super turbo fan howling like mad.

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaseyrandall.design
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technology
@Toasty Cheesitz

The forum post above you are referring to is a very old post. That particular TSB was superseded and the TSB you will want to have applied to your 2018 JL is TSB 18-092-19 (Power Control Update) .

Along with it addressing the loud fan, it also addresses a real problem area in regard to the 2018 JL/JLU and how it's dual battery system works..

DO read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-question-for-the-experts.66343/post-1403030

Here is the link to the TSB:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...CJTrUc5dWEpVNAqS2o2sEuNDlihcQE17S3oyENpZrKnbE

Yep, I know it's old. I own a 2018 Wrangler so that would make sense. I purchased her a few months ago. Is there a way to tell if this Jeep has had this update in the last three years without hooking her up to a computer? Im guessing not. I dont have that option at the moment (road trip).

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I know it's old. I own a 2018 Wrangler so that would make sense. I purchased her a few months ago. Is there a way to tell if this Jeep has had this update in the last three years without hooking her up to a computer? Im guessing not. I dont have that option at the moment (road trip).
@Toasty Cheesitz

Don't fool with it while on a road trip...... you can easily determine if your 2018 behaves like a 2019 and newer JL in regard to the battery thing by disconnecting the Aux batteries NEG cable that resides on the Main batteries NEG terminal... Disco tha and if the JL does not start your JL is a problem
child so so speak.

IF, it starts on the second try, and an Evic light comes on, then it behaves like a 2019. Reconnect the Aux negative and the Evic light will go out...

Note: As you lean over the JL's passenger side front flare, the Aux batteries, NEG cable is the closest cable to you, attached to the Main batteries, NEG terminal.

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaseyrandall.design
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technology
@Maverick
@Miloe

Both of you have 2018 JL's..... the TSB indeed stops the roar of the fan but for a 2018 owner it is even more reason to get the update is because of the positive changes in regard to the dual battery system... A 2018 owner that does not have the TSB applied is shooting himself in the foot so to speak..

Determine if your 2018 behaves as a 2019 and newer JL does regarding the dual battery system and if not consider getting the TSB applied to your 2018.
With my 2018 (purchased a few months ago) having only 18k miles, should I be worried right now?
How can I tell if my 18 behaves like a 19?

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kaseyrandall.design
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technology
@Toasty Cheesitz

Don't fool with it while on a road trip...... you can easily determine if your 2018 behaves like a 2019 and newer JL in regard to the battery thing by disconnecting the Aux batteries NEG cable that resides on the Main batteries NEG terminal... Disco tha and if the JL does not start your JL is a problem
child so so speak.

IF, it starts on the second try, and an Evic light comes on, then it behaves like a 2019. Reconnect the Aux negative and the Evic light will go out...

Note: As you lean over the JL's passenger side front flare, the Aux batteries, NEG cable is the closest cable to you, attached to the Main batteries, NEG terminal.

I will do this when I get to Austin! Thanks so much.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With my 2018 (purchased a few months ago) having only 18k miles, should I be worried right now?
How can I tell if my 18 behaves like a 19?
@Toasty Cheesitz

No, do not worry... Do your research on this forum when you have time regarding the dual battery system on your 2018. With reading you will soon find out that you DO, want to get your 2018 behaving like a 2019 and newer JL in regard to the dual battery system..

Gist of it is..... if your AUX battery becomes depleted your 2018 without the TSB applied, will not start using the Main battery. Your 2018 will just be dead in the water so to speak.....

Now, if you had a 2019 or newer JL, the JL would start on the second try if the Aux battery was depleted...

Note: Some... toward the end of the model year... 2018's, did leave the factory with the pcm update that makes it behave like a 2019+. Only way you can be sure is to test a bit as I mentioned...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Maverick
@Miloe

Both of you have 2018 JL's..... the TSB indeed stops the roar of the fan but for a 2018 owner, more of a reason to get the TSB applied, is the positive change it brings in regard to the dual battery system... A 2018 owner that does not have the TSB applied is shooting himself in the foot so to speak..

Determine if your 2018 behaves as a 2019 and newer JL does regarding the dual battery system and if not consider getting the TSB applied to your 2018.
Sponsored