Lost backup camera guide lines

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I could definitely be wrong, but they told me my software was behind like 3 updates and I've never seen an OTA update popup on my screen. So I just assumed it must be something I needed to initiate.

If your problems are worse maybe they can roll back to the version that wasn't as bad. It's definitely worth contacting UConnect customer support to open a claim so they can try and help. Well, hopefully it's worth it...will see if they come through for me. šŸ˜•
Iā€™m not going to bother calling. The UConnect site shows that I have the latest approved version for my VIN, so I know they canā€™t help.

I am tempted to kick the tires on version 34.2 via this manual upgrade process:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/8-4-usb-update.65167/
Sponsored

Rebicon

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4-Door
Iā€™m not going to bother calling. The UConnect site shows that I have the latest approved version for my VIN, so I know they canā€™t help.

I am tempted to kick the tires on version 34.2 via this manual upgrade process:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/8-4-usb-update.65167/
I did the version check on their website too using my VIN and it said I had the latest. The guy I talked to today said the latest is 39.6.0. Mine's at 39.3.0. I'll have to mention that to them when they get back to me.

FerrdIsTheWord

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Tonyz3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler high altitude
I contacted UConnect support today and they walked me through how to find my software version. Apparently everyone's latest version of software could be different based on what they're driving. So the 21.11.11 version posted earlier for the 2018 is not the latest for my 2021. In order to find my software version I had to hold in the driver side temperature up button, temperature down button, and front defrost all at the same time. That brings up the Dealer Mode options where I selected System Information->Radio Parts List (I think it was). I attached a picture. My current version is circled in red (that's what the rep told me anyway).

He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and said that there's definitely a software upgrade being done to address the disappearing lines and that a case manager will call me within a few days to help me get the update. So it seems that the OTA updates don't get pushed automatically, you need to call and it's done on a case-by-case basis. Once they get me the latest version I'll post an update on whether it worked or not.

20210601_160625x.jpg
I am at 39.5 and still have occasional line loss on back up camera. Tried contacting @JeepCares to get there input and have not heard back. For those that contacted uconnect, what is the best way to get thru to them.

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
Took mine into the dealer, they said there's nothing they can do since it's the most recent firmware/flash update. They also stated they never see this issue with Apple CarPlay users, but since I'm using Android Auto, I'm the first time they've seen this (I don't believe it). The UConnect services finally fully activated, so that issue is resolved.

In doing my own testing, it appears to be a "race condition" when connecting my phone to either of the USB ports. Sometimes it'll recognize my phone, sometimes it won't, sometimes the backup lines are there before/after connecting the phone, sometimes they're not. I believe the system needs to be fully booted up (takes about 30-60 seconds, give or take), and only THEN I connect the phone: it all works perfect. Connect my phone and then start the car: no more backup lines. It's an odd issue, but keeps coming and going.

Sponsored

Skippy477

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Took mine into the dealer, they said there's nothing they can do since it's the most recent firmware/flash update. They also stated they never see this issue with Apple CarPlay users, but since I'm using Android Auto, I'm the first time they've seen this (I don't believe it). The UConnect services finally fully activated, so that issue is resolved.

In doing my own testing, it appears to be a "race condition" when connecting my phone to either of the USB ports. Sometimes it'll recognize my phone, sometimes it won't, sometimes the backup lines are there before/after connecting the phone, sometimes they're not. I believe the system needs to be fully booted up (takes about 30-60 seconds, give or take), and only THEN I connect the phone: it all works perfect. Connect my phone and then start the car: no more backup lines. It's an odd issue, but keeps coming and going.
They are full of it. A. Thereā€™s no way you are their only customer using Android Auto and B. I use Apple car play all the time and my grid lines are almost never there so it definitely does happen with both.

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are full of it. A. Thereā€™s no way you are their only customer using Android Auto and B. I use Apple car play all the time and my grid lines are almost never there so it definitely does happen with both.
Well, they did say with a 2021 model, they've never seen this with Android Auto (I call BS too) and all their CarPlay works fine (again, I call BS). At this point, I'm going to wait a little bit and see what updates come out (if they do). It's a minor issue, just more of a nuisance/frustration than an all-out FUBAR moment.

Tonyz3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler high altitude

I agree this has something to do with the issues I am having. I use Android Auto as well and I notice the lines disappear after setting the Android auto up. I also get the error" your phone is not compatible with Android auto- or something like that" every so often but then it connects. I have tried different ways to start up my car- phone plugged in then start, phone not plugged in but USB plugged in then start, phone or USB not plugged then start. I get the random lines disappearing, either way, I try to do it. Also, what problem were you having with Uconnect services not activating- I may have missed that if you posted it before.

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree this has something to do with the issues I am having. I use Android Auto as well and I notice the lines disappear after setting the Android auto up. I also get the error" your phone is not compatible with Android auto- or something like that" every so often but then it connects. I have tried different ways to start up my car- phone plugged in then start, phone not plugged in but USB plugged in then start, phone or USB not plugged then start. I get the random lines disappearing, either way, I try to do it. Also, what problem were you having with Uconnect services not activating- I may have missed that if you posted it before.
The UConnect services were activated when I picked up my vehicle. The sales rep walked me through setting it up on my phone and setting up my accounts online (UConnect and SiriusXM/Guardian). Get into the Jeep, and those services keep saying "Activation in progress"...and never activated in the car. We hit the Assist button, says it's not active, so we have to call with the phone. UConnect and SiriusXM/Guardian person says my account is most definitely activated and valid. I shrug, drive it home, and park in my garage. Next day, I hop in and throw the pooch in the back to go to the dog park: still not activated, and the backup lines are gone and never came back. I reset settings back to the defaults and reconfigured multiple times: no dice. Went to the dealer on Friday, they looked at the flash/firmware and said there weren't any updates available (i.e. I had the most recent versions). They reset to factory settings and the backup lines are back; ok fine, whatever. We call UConnect together, who again say everything is fine on my account (SiriusXM radio works fine, but no other connected services are active in the car), put us on hold for about 15 minutes, said they would open a ticket with UConnect, and I'd receive an email. Fast-forward to Saturday, plug-in my phone, back out of the garage: no lines. Get to the dog park, on a whim decide to check the connected services, THEY'RE ALL GOOD TO GO NOW!

TL;DR - Connected services are fine, backup "magic" lines seem to show up when they feel like it, and then take a siesta when they don't want to work anymore.

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
A class action suit because the freakin lines went away? And the damages to you are $$$$? Good luck with that one. This has to be one of the dumbest thoughts on here!
@JEEPIDON - I consider your response rude, uneducated, and opinionated. Your post had no value and there have been prior class action suits based on functionality. Granted that this may seem trivial to you, but to others, it is essential.

Sponsored

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
@JEEPIDON - I consider your response rude, uneducated, and opinionated. Your post had no value and there have been prior class action suits based on functionality. Granted that this may seem trivial to you, but to others, it is essential.
Lines in a backup camera video are essential? Wow.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Lines in a backup camera video are essential? Wow.
They are for some of us who need to use reverse in tight situations on a regular basis.

If that's not you, then please relax. ;)

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
They are for some of us who need to use reverse in tight situations on a regular basis.

If that's not you, then please relax. ;)
Admittedly, when my backup lines disappear, I do a hell of a lot more "head out the window" backing up...

SeaTrooperGo

First Name
Valerie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited High Altitude Sahara Wrangler
That's why I don't understand the waste of time people go through to do the reset. It has been proven the reset may work for a day or so, and then the lines appear/disappear again. The minute I drove off the lot after purchase I got intermittent back-up lines. I am not doing a reset every time this happens, and I am not wasting time going to the dealer with this issue. To tell you the truth, I am used to the lines coming and going now, but I will be happy when the get a permanent fix for this.

My dealer confirmed that Jeep has finally acknowledged that this is a software issue & that they DO NOT have a patch ready for this version of the software yet. (Super!) Supposedly the dealers are being asked to collect customer information so we can be contacted when one comes out. So... as annoying as it is, I think those of us with the latest software versions are stuck waiting it out for a bit. :/ (I replied to your comment specifically since I have a 2021 HA Sahara JL as well - thought the info might be helpful)
Sponsored