Loose steering

Ktm534

First Name
Kali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I have a 2018 JLU and have a few questions regarding the loose steering. I’m aware of the issues that came with the new Jeeps, but at this point I’m just trying to do everything possible to resolve the issue before I end up selling it out of frustration. 🤬
I’m running a 3.5” Teraflex lift on 37s. Obviously this factors into the ride as I know it won’t “drive like a dream” with the current setup. I’ve installed the Synergy sector shaft brace and had the TSB completed by the dealership in which they installed the new steering box. I can tell on the interstate that the ride feels a little smoother. However, anytime I’m on a back road or even a highway where I’m hitting several bumps, my Jeep will often veer off to the left or right and the handling on it is awful. I’ve driven my dad’s JK with the same set up and it handles great. Is there anything else I can install that would make the veering and loose play in steering go away? I’ve considered the PSC kit but have heard mixed reviews on it. Any insight on what else I can install to resolve this? TIA.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'd try upgrading the Tie Rod and Drag Link. The stock stuff looks beefy, but it's thin walled hollow tubing. With 37's, I'd be willing to guess the tubes are flexing some, especially when hitting bumps. Your ends may also be worn out.

Since you've got the Synergy SS/TB brace, go with their Tie Rod and Drag Link setups. I'm running all Synergy steering (including the brace) with 37's on my 18 JLUR and my steering is smooth, straight, and predictable. In fact, I haven't done the steering gear box TSB on it due to it being so good. Now my stock 19 JLUR pulls to the right and I'm waiting for the dealer to get my new steering gear box in

With your Teraflex lift, are you running their or another brand aftermarket front track bar? If you still have the stock TB, this could be a cause. Even if you are using an aftermarket TB, I'd verify the bushings are still good and there's absolutely NO movement in the joints and bolts.

OP
OP
Ktm534

Ktm534

First Name
Kali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I'd try upgrading the Tie Rod and Drag Link. The stock stuff looks beefy, but it's thin walled hollow tubing. With 37's, I'd be willing to guess the tubes are flexing some, especially when hitting bumps. Your ends may also be worn out.

Since you've got the Synergy SS/TB brace, go with their Tie Rod and Drag Link setups. I'm running all Synergy steering (including the brace) with 37's on my 18 JLUR and my steering is smooth, straight, and predictable. In fact, I haven't done the steering gear box TSB on it due to it being so good. Now my stock 19 JLUR pulls to the right and I'm waiting for the dealer to get my new steering gear box in

With your Teraflex lift, are you running their or another brand aftermarket front track bar? If you still have the stock TB, this could be a cause. Even if you are using an aftermarket TB, I'd verify the bushings are still good and there's absolutely NO movement in the joints and bolts.
I will definitely upgrade the tie rod and drag link. I was hoping the new steering box would do it but nope. I currently have the Teraflex track bar but I’ll verify everything else is good. Thanks for the response!

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What is your caster at? Between 6 and 7 degrees caster will help it track straighter as well.

Reactions: GtX

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
SteerSmart makes some of the beefiest drag link and tie rod for Jeep on the market. It is sold under their YETI brand.

I had them on my 2013 JK and the thing was amazingly strong.
Sponsored