Sponsored

Looking For Overland Rig Inspirations

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going out three weeks at a time and loving it. I enjoy sleeping either on ground or ocassional tent so I keep everything in Jeep. So far all has worked perfect. Rock crawling, hill climbing, snow, sand, water, medium to rough 4x4 roads. This beast hasn't been stopped.

20180612_134642.jpg

20190428_073132.jpg

20181024_075008.jpg
That’s awesome man!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I like how you didnt go to the wheels...its more about the rig as a whole/purpose. I'm trying to fight off the "I got a Jeep so I need big tires to get only 1 more inch of clearance" thing. Its tough. I am enamored about overland/usefulness.
35's and the 3-1/2 lift seem to handle anything I point it at. And an all around average mpg of 17 and change is giving me a 350 and change for a range.

Sponsored

TexRivers

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
The jeep is such a versatile vehicle. I bought it because it can go anywhere...sure others can but it remains relatively unchanged design wise. I like this.

I totally agree and I'm doing the "creative packing" now and its working. I'm a backpacker so I try to incorporate the concept...the logic I am currently thinking...why not make it a tad more comfortable since you have the ability to haul stuff. Why not make the jeep a rugged RV? A little more than what you need but not the marble tile and the mini pull behind?
I will be doing a three week solo trip in July during which I plan on sleeping in the Jeep about half the time. I’ll post pics when I get packed.

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
35's and the 3-1/2 lift seem to handle anything I point it at. And an all around average mpg of 17 and change is giving me a 350 and change for a range.
Perfect. I didnt even notice. No offense but I love it. I'm all about the stock stance. Little be it known, most state parks/national forests measure from wheel track. The new JL is just over the limit by fractions but when you put sorry about your d*ck bro tires on, its over.

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
I will be doing a three week solo trip in July during which I plan on sleeping in the Jeep about half the time. I’ll post pics when I get packed.
Please do...Im so curious how it goes long term. Have fun!

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Please do...Im so curious how it goes long term. Have fun!
To expand on this...the weird thing I encounter is...what? you sleep in your Jeep? Even my hard core camping friends kind of look at me strange. Its probably a stigma thing...you are homeless if you sleep in your car kind of thing...but if you pitch a tent right beside it, you are not. its confusing. but...i have slept in the back twice now, its awesome, quiet, and quick to set up...and more solid when you are solo....no worries about Jason or grizzlies.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Btw, if your looking for extra fuel. I have these mounting plates I designed for sale.

20180803_124531.jpg
Thats soo cool! I love it. I'm not at that level yet but when I do, definitely! Been on one tour so far. Going on the next in a week so we shall see. If I run out of gas, you will be it :)

GPsGeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2015 WK2 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
These are the kind of threads I like to see. I'm kind of new here and have yet to create a build page. But I'm running a modest 2" Rancho lift with almost 35's for my weekend overlanding activities. Liking the combo so far. Feels just right for what I do. Here are a few pics. More can be seen on my Instagram page in the sig.

IMG_9126.JPG
IMG_9494.jpg
IMG_9190.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
To expand on this...the weird thing I encounter is...what? you sleep in your Jeep? Even my hard core camping friends kind of look at me strange. Its probably a stigma thing...you are homeless if you sleep in your car kind of thing...but if you pitch a tent right beside it, you are not. its confusing. but...i have slept in the back twice now, its awesome, quiet, and quick to set up...and more solid when you are solo....no worries about Jason or grizzlies.
I "overlanded" before it was called that and slept in a full-size SUV w my wife and 2 dogs for years.

It had a ton of advantages. I had a cargo net overhead for stuffing jackets and that's where I'd store the stuff sacks for the sleeping bags and ground pads. Bracket for a catalytic heater.....1000W inverter, flo light from Camping World (LED has changed that landscape). I wired in a switch to roll down the back window from the rear and I actually did little things like a brake light kill switch so when I transferred things to the driver floorboard there was no risk of draining the batt(s) with brake lights.

Cordless tools have changed a lot of what I did back then:
-instead of 12V or 120V heated blankets the Milwaukee heated gear is nice
-I'd just pack M12 and M18 worklights now instead of having much hardwired
-I probably wouldn't bother with an inverter and instead pack Fuel grinders (yes I've used an angle grinder a few times on the trail) and of course the 2767 impact wrench
-the M18 fan can be real handy if you need airflow
-possible to charge M12 and M18 from a cigarette lighter during the day whilst driving, and there are plenty of tools w USB output to charge your phone(s) anytime (the M12 and M18 lanterns are handy like this)

So there's a few thoughts OP, none of which are remotely JL specific (sorry)

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 3.6L 6-Speed
Occupation
Web Developer
I too am looking to do some overlanding with my Rubicon. I have added a tailgate table (Outback brand) which is perfect to fit my camp stove on. I added a ARB Twin air compressor under the passenger seat so I can air up/down easily to get into more remote areas.

I'm also looking at the 60% seat delete bracket so I can remove one seat and then build a shelf/storage system so I can sleep in the Jeep but also carry all the needed gear.

Have you found venture4wd on YouTube? He lives out of his Jeep and publishes videos weekly. He has a lot of gear that makes long term camping / overlanding more enjoyable.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Maximus-3 roof rack. Fab'd up 2 "trays" to hold 2x 5 gallon jerry can gas, and 2x 5 gallon water jugs. An extra spare, and fake knockoff maxtrax. I built a 30" wide platform to sleep on in the Jeep. 6" memory foam pad. All my other stuff (food/recovery) goes on the other side of the Jeep. Works fine for me, or for one person 6' or shorter. Won't work for 2 people unless you bring a tent.

IMG_3769(1).JPG

Where I sit. I made a mount to attach the ipad to the grab bar. Using Gaia GPS software.

IMG_3772.JPG
Sponsored