Looking For Overland Rig Inspirations

1. Rubi2876

Rubi2876 Active Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Hello. First of all this is my favorite place on the web! So much resource and thanks to everyone. I'm currently trying to make my new setup more of an overland rig vs. 48" tires/lifts and conquering rocks...don't get me wrong I could be there soon but for now I'm trying to find inspiration of members rigs that have more of an adventure/camping theme. I love the ability to go anywhere on the weekend and set up at a moments notice and return to work the next day More of a Swiss army knife thing if that makes sense. I enjoy ingenuity and that's why I chose Jeep, its an SUV at its core...really. If you can post some inspiration pics...that would be great.

MORTON and Tfom like this.
  2. Tfom

Tfom Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Terence
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    Totally agree with you and can't offer any help from an experience standpoint. I really hope to use mine for camping, exploring and photography. I've been able to do some already, then been on a hiatus as we have a newborn at home. The thought of spending a day in a line of jeeps sounds awful to me.

I'd like to get new bumpers with a light bar and a winch in case I get stuck somewhere and to have extra light. You already have sway bar disconnects on your Rubi so that's a plus. I know rooftop tents are popular and setting up a mini fridge.

There are some good overlanding websites that are easy to find. As with this site, it tends toward the extreme at times, like planning to live out of your rig. I know this isn't much help, but nice to see someone else who is somewhat like minded.

3. OP
    OP
    Rubi2876

Rubi2876 Active Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Thanks! It's nice to know there are fellow adventurers out there. For me its more about just getting somewhere and having a vehicle to do it...plus I love the look of the jeeps, sure there are tons of them but they don't really change every year. I also really like the looks of overland/safari vehicles. I've already gone on a 3 night camping trip and slept inside...its awesome and quiet. A hardshell rooftop tent someday is on my list.

I've already started from the inside out and got some storage bags for the the roll cage and keep my camping gear in there so all I have to do is pack clothes, cooler and sleeping bag and I'm on my way. These are kind of pricey but they are awesome and very well built!...https://xgcargo.com/products/jl-gama-rear-storage-bags you literally don't know they are there since the rear seat headrests already block the window at that angle. I also found AEV...they make some nice looking stuff...the front bumper is awesome ($$$ though). It looks like its supposed to be on the front and has curves that match the design of the jeep.

4. OkieMizzou

OkieMizzou Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Granite Crystal JLUR, 2001 Jeep TJ, 2013 Ram 2500 6.7L, 1991 Harley FXLR
    Liked:
    Pilot
    Check my build page the latter part of June. I started the build in January but got busy and didn't get around to posting up pics as it progressed. I pick up my new overland trailer the first week of June and so I've decided to wait until then and I'll do a walk-around of my complete overland setup. Here's a teaser - this trailer was a loaner while mine is being built but I'll have the same model. Turtleback Getaway Trail.

IMG_3928.jpg

iWantJLU, Grizz38, USMCBK1 and 3 others like this.
  5. viper88

viper88 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 JLR 2.0T
    Liked:
  6. TexRivers

TexRivers Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Moab
    Liked:
    Me too. I’m starting with a winch and roof rack. Retired and will be camping 4-5 weeks in CO and CA this summer. Don’t want a roof top tent and prefer not to pull a trailer. I think the JLU is already 90% ready out of the box. Creative packing will be key.

wibornz and brazos like this.
  7. MORTON

MORTON Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLU
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    After sleeping on the ground in the Marines more than I cared to this is my idea of camping lol

71A673CF-E2F9-47BD-B23B-E611DDB4599F.gif

On a serious note, I purposely didn’t get a hardtop because I knew it would open a different part of the check book.. No telling how much I would have spent on top of everything else LOL

USMCBK1, Will and javelina like this.
  8. PaPasJP

PaPasJP Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Retired
    Garage Profiles:
    This also my ideal setup for camping........ LOL

Rubi2876 and MORTON like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Rubi2876

Rubi2876 Active Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    The jeep is such a versatile vehicle. I bought it because it can go anywhere...sure others can but it remains relatively unchanged design wise. I like this.
    I totally agree and I'm doing the "creative packing" now and its working. I'm a backpacker so I try to incorporate the concept...the logic I am currently thinking...why not make it a tad more comfortable since you have the ability to haul stuff. Why not make the jeep a rugged RV? A little more than what you need but not the marble tile and the mini pull behind?

OkieMizzou and TexRivers like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Rubi2876

Rubi2876 Active Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Thats awesome!

11. Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vic
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Rubicon JL
    Liked:
    I'm going out three weeks at a time and loving it. I enjoy sleeping either on ground or ocassional tent so I keep everything in Jeep. So far all has worked perfect. Rock crawling, hill climbing, snow, sand, water, medium to rough 4x4 roads. This beast hasn't been stopped.

20180612_134642.jpg

20190428_073132.jpg

20181024_075008.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    Rubi2876

Rubi2876 Active Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    That's so cool! I like the rear seat delete. How much have you modified the exterior/suspension to get you there? I agree totally with the occasional tent...its just part of camping, you got to have it.

13. javelina

javelina Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
    Liked:
    Thank you for your service!!!!!

MORTON likes this.
  14. Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vic
    Vehicle(s):