Long term frame protection

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Coming from a TJ and all the crap that gathered in the frame (wish I had filled with spray foam day one), has anyone looked at similar on the JL? Just wondering what simple things I can do to save myself issues if I keep this thing a long time like I think I will.
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
What kind of foam are you considering? I assume it'd be closed cell, but even then it'll be fairly exposed. Might it be better to just cover the areas stuff gets in and leave others as places to drain? I know Jeep runs the benefits/cost calc in all areas, but I have to assume there's some engineering hours behind the way it's been designed.

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
No real idea. Honestly haven't even inspected the frame design. Just know the TJs had a lot of rust issues and a good part of that was likely crap caught in the center part of the frame.

Just wondering if anyone has done or looked at something for long term.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I power wash the underside of my jeep including inside the frame rails usually once a month as that is usually how often I wheel it. The frame is pretty easy to clean. It has holes from front to back that you can fit a tip into to clean it all out. I do that until I see the water run clean out of the backend of the frame. I know some people I wheel with use a foam but I can’t remember what. I’d rather rinse it instead of all that junk sitting in the foam.

Last edited:

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Foam would trap moisture, better to keep it clean and dry.

Sponsored

dd31

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport S
I sprayed mine with Woolwax. inside and outside of the frame

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Checking that out-interesting

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Coming from a TJ and all the crap that gathered in the frame (wish I had filled with spray foam day one), has anyone looked at similar on the JL? Just wondering what simple things I can do to save myself issues if I keep this thing a long time like I think I will.
I just spray antirust oil inside the frame. It is important to do so during summer months so the oil gets nicely sealed by road dust . I do this every summer with any vehicle I ever owned . When I see the gigantic mountains of road salt dispersed on our Ontario roadways I wonder if there is any salt left for you people in the rest of the country.

aScreen Shot 2020-10-12 at 3.03.11 PM.jpg
Sponsored