Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Looking at the torque specs, the rear has a note to not reuse the bolts. I have opened mine twice so far, and reused the bolts. How big of a concern is replacing these bolts? I figured I would notice a leak if these start to fail.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Looking at the torque specs, the rear has a note to not reuse the bolts. I have opened mine twice so far, and reused the bolts. How big of a concern is replacing these bolts? I figured I would notice a leak if these start to fail.
Iā€™m assuming the cover bolts?...

Youā€™ll be fine reusing them. They wonā€™t fail other than breaking off in the housing, which isnā€™t a big deal to fix. If you stick to the TQ spec, youā€™ll be alright.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Gotcha, was worried about a bur rubbing or something, but will use a pretty shallow bit and go slow.
When I did mine I used a small pencil air die grinder with a pointed tip, went very slow with light pressure just enough to put a hole in the cover. Then used a hand held drill bit holder to enlarge the hole. I made the hole the same diameter as the potting material applicator tip. After drilling hole I also inspected it with a jewelers eyepiece. I drilled two holes, one on each side, (top and bottom) and inserted applicator into the bottom/ black side and applied material into it this way as I could see the material going into and out the semi transparent side of switch.
If you use a hand held drill bit holder you can feel the drill bit being pulled into the plastic cover and then you can also push and pull while twisting at the same time.

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just starting to think about upgrading my stock Rubicon axels to something like the Dana 44 AdvanTek or Dynatrack Prorock 44. I wonder if these axels have a similar problem with the sensor or is this just with the stock units?

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'm just starting to think about upgrading my stock Rubicon axels to something like the Dana 44 AdvanTek or Dynatrack Prorock 44. I wonder if these axels have a similar problem with the sensor or is this just with the stock units?
This issue isn't with the axle housings. It's with the locker and it's position sensing circuit.

If you have a non-Rubicon or any set-up that doesn't use the position sensing portion of the circuit, then it won't matter.

For example, installing Rubi axles into a Sport/Sahara. The Sport/Sahara won't use the sensing circuit, only the coil + and -. @mgroeger is set-up this way, as many people are.

If you keep the factory locker with any set-up, on a Rubicon, you can experience this problem.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Youā€™re thinking about upgrading your Dana 44s to Dana 44s?

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Just remember these modules are irreplaceable so if they get lost in the mail you got an interesting problem on your hands to get it sorted out.....

Then again our mail is probably safe now that the election has passed :(
Don't count on it: I just played hell with the post office over a (as they call it) "somewhat delayed" package.
sold a fuel door assembly, packed it in a priority mail, flat rate box and shipped it on 1/4...just got delivered today

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dana makes an Ultimate 44. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what he meant.
Yeah I just donā€™t see that as that much of an upgrade to justify the cost. If I were gonna go through the trouble and cost of replacing axles it would be tons, but thatā€™s just me.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Just drained my rear so I will see what I have at 4K shortly.

Sponsored

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 WJ, 18 Challenger, 02&04 WRX, 73 FJ40
I read the entire thread. šŸ˜³

We have 2018 JLUR. I installed the icon 2.5 lift kit about 3 weeks ago. Installation required disconnecting the locker's electrical connection. The front connector was dry but the rear had oil inside the connector. I thought nothing of it until I read this, now I am very concerned. We have just over 30K.

We have taken the jeep off-roading about 2-3 times. On our last outing, the lockers would not turn on/engage, but we did not get a warning light on the dash or anywhere else. This was the second time we have turn on the lockers. I assumed it was just operator error (our first wrangler). I should try to see if I can get the lockers to engage to on regular street to confirm if it was operator error or not.

The jeep has seen the dealership service department only 3 times, first oil change then steering stabilizer recall then the radio/screen stopped working. Dealership kept the jeep for a month to fix the screen issue and when we picked it up they had unspooled the winch cable and could not bring it back in cause I purposely disconnected the power to winch. When I asked the service guy why they unspooled they cable, he just shrugged his shoulders :swear:. You just never know what is done to the jeep while at service department.

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 WJ, 18 Challenger, 02&04 WRX, 73 FJ40
i just tried the lockers on the parking lot.....switch to 4low, ess light came on, turned on rear lockers, drove for about 20 feet, no issues.

do i need to drive a longer distance for truly assess locker functions?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
i just tried the lockers on the parking lot.....switch to 4low, ess light came on, turned on rear lockers, drove for about 20 feet, no issues.

do i need to drive a longer distance for truly assess locker functions?
No youā€™re good. Get them potted ASAP.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I read the entire thread. šŸ˜³

We have 2018 JLUR. I installed the icon 2.5 lift kit about 3 weeks ago. Installation required disconnecting the locker's electrical connection. The front connector was dry but the rear had oil inside the connector. I thought nothing of it until I read this, now I am very concerned. We have just over 30K.

We have taken the jeep off-roading about 2-3 times. On our last outing, the lockers would not turn on/engage, but we did not get a warning light on the dash or anywhere else. This was the second time we have turn on the lockers. I assumed it was just operator error (our first wrangler). I should try to see if I can get the lockers to engage to on regular street to confirm if it was operator error or not.

The jeep has seen the dealership service department only 3 times, first oil change then steering stabilizer recall then the radio/screen stopped working. Dealership kept the jeep for a month to fix the screen issue and when we picked it up they had unspooled the winch cable and could not bring it back in cause I purposely disconnected the power to winch. When I asked the service guy why they unspooled they cable, he just shrugged his shoulders :swear:. You just never know what is done to the jeep while at service department.
You need to find a new dealer.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I agree the Torx is easy to get to without removing the cap bolt. I put that in there so people don't accidently strip the bolt taking it or putting it back in.
@chevymitchell - do you know if the sensor bolt available for purchase? Thinking about having one on hand just in case.
Sponsored