First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I had the fob in the cupholder the other day and automatically locked the door on exit. Unfortunately it locked! I had previously ordered the Renegade Emergency Key and had it cut by my local locksmith. I popped the hood and untaped it from its super secret spot. The horn activated when I opened the door but it turned off with the fob. I thought the fob would prevent this from happening. My second fob is wrapped in foil and in the back. I had done all this in case I lost the fob when out and about. Had no idea it would be needed in the grocery store parking lot. Just a word of warning. The new key and cut ran me about $20. Well worth it.
Sponsored

Poromenos

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Interesting. I too thought the fob would prevent this. The fob once fell out of my pocket and I didnt realize, got out and tried pressing the lock button on the handle and it would not lock. Thank god for that I guess. I was also not home.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Pretty sure that if you have proximity locks they won’t allow this. I’ll have to test it...

That said, I have a soft top and don’t lock my Jeep, I don’t keep my spare key inside the Jeep, and can use my phone to unlock (at least until Sirius Guardian expires).

OP, not sure why you’re keeping your spare inside the Jeep, but that seems like a recipe for bad things. Maybe get a faraday box and hide under the hood, instead? Glad you had a second spare, though!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Pretty sure that if you have proximity locks they won’t allow this. I’ll have to test it...

That said, I have a soft top and don’t lock my Jeep, I don’t keep my spare key inside the Jeep, and can use my phone to unlock (at least until Sirius Guardian expires).

OP, not sure why you’re keeping your spare inside the Jeep, but that seems like a recipe for bad things. Maybe get a faraday box and hide under the hood, instead? Glad you had a second spare, though!
Every car I have ever had with proximity locks won't allow this in the default mode. One had a button in the trunk to override if someone wanted to lock in a second FOB. I think some cars can override a second FOB inside the car if the first FOB outside is pressed to LOCK twice or something. I will check my JL.

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon

I’ve inadvertently tested this and was unable to lock the Jeep. Took me longer than it should have to realize I left my keys inside.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I’ve inadvertently tested this and was unable to lock the Jeep. Took me longer than it should have to realize I left my keys inside.
Can confirm, did exactly the same. If you have the proximity locks, the Jeep won't lock if the key is in the cup holder. I've done that a BUNCH of times.

... that said, a backup key is not a bad idea... especially if it's $20...

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I just did this very thing with mine this morning. I do have proximity sensor in mine. I locked the door with the door button and closed the door the horn sounded 3 times. I walked over to the handle and the door unlocked.

Reactions: zyt

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had the fob in the cupholder the other day and automatically locked the door on exit. Unfortunately it locked! I had previously ordered the Renegade Emergency Key and had it cut by my local locksmith. I popped the hood and untaped it from its super secret spot. The horn activated when I opened the door but it turned off with the fob. I thought the fob would prevent this from happening. My second fob is wrapped in foil and in the back. I had done all this in case I lost the fob when out and about. Had no idea it would be needed in the grocery store parking lot. Just a word of warning. The new key and cut ran me about $20. Well worth it.
Do you have the proximity lock feature?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Don’t y’all have a few keys you need to carry? House key, gate key, work keys, whatever?
I do. I just keep the door key with them.
I just pirated it out of my spare fob.
It’s very small. It’s perfect.
I must be missing something, I reckon.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I do have the proximity locks. I also checked to see if I could lock myself out and I couldn't, except for that one time. I keep my second fob wrapped in foil (cheap faraday box) just in case I loose the primary while in the woods or desert. My point is there may be a glitch so don't count on the Jeep being smarter than you are. That spare key could be a lifesaver. That said, I can see where it is possible I had too much crap over the cupholder (accidental faraday box) and it is possible I could have hit the lock on the door rather than outside.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I left my key in the Jeep the other day. Cup holder like y’all. Went out to it and grabbed the door handle and it unlocked. I have the proximity too. I turned the horn off so I had no idea till the next morning.

Brett

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Even without proximity in my Sport, it will not lock if the FOB is left in it. It beeps 2 or 3 times to remind me. I've tested it a few times.

Jas0n

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Just confirmed this on my 2018 sport S. It will not let me lock the vehicle with the fob inside. Beeped a few times and unlocked itself.
Sponsored