Sponsored

Locked out again

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
Figured it out. Apparently MY hood alarm got activated when I installed the Tazer JL.
Kind of makes you want to ask why in the heck did Jeep put two hood sensors on a vehicle, where the hood can be opened from the outside, and not activate the alarm?
Sponsored

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
I have not tried locking my keys in the Wrangler, however over the weekend we went to NY, so my wife took the 2nd key fob which she had in her bag, at a rest stop we jumped out and I tried locking with the external door button on as usual and it would not lock, did not double press, but I pressed it a 3-4 of times and it would not lock, then I realized she left her bag in the Wrangler, and that must be the reason it would not lock, so I pressed the lock button on my fob and I am pretty sure it locked I was a few feet away when I did it, I really didn't care that much if it locked or if it did, since I was only going to be gone for a few minutes.

What I do regularly is press the inside door lock button when I am jumping out of the Wrangler, and it locks, while I'm partially out of the Wrangler.
What does double pressing the proximity button do?

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
What does double-pressing the proximity button do?
Not sure what double-pressing does, someone mentioned it above, most of the times my toddlers are with me and they fight to lock and unlock the doors with the buttons on the door handles, after someone broke into the Wrangler don't keep anything of value in it, so locking it up now is not important.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have the proximity locks on my Rubicon. It definitely will not lock if the key fob is left in the jeep. I tried to Lock it the other day not remembering that I had left the key fob in the jeep. It would not lock. I thought something was wrong with my automatic locks and then I realized the key fob was in the key fob holder.

Duffinator

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
I have the proximity locks on my Rubicon. It definitely will not lock if the key fob is left in the jeep. I tried to Lock it the other day not remembering that I had left the key fob in the jeep. It would not lock. I thought something was wrong with my automatic locks and then I realized the key fob was in the key fob holder.
Sorry, but on my 18 JLU I have seen it happen 3 times. once on accident, once testing it, and once showing my wife "Yes this COULD happen." I do think this could be a battery issue. But let's all remember this is TECHNOLOGY shit CAN and DOES happen. So when it DOES, Lets actually talk about a cool spot to hide a key! After seeing the tip about popping out the roll pin to separate the key form the FOB, I am very tempted to keep a flat key in my wallet and a FOB with NO BATTERY stashed in the car.

and speaking of....can someone tell me what fricken MAGIC are they using to have the corner of the FOB (with no battery) turn the BUTTON IGNITION ON when it's pressed to it!?!?!?? is it RFID?

Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Not true, I got locked out of my brand new 2020 JLR today with the key fob in the center console slot. Thankfully, I have my keys to my house separate from the fob, had to get a ride home to pick up my second fob and drive back. What a major PITA, my VW and my Tacoma never would lock when the fob was left in the vehicle. Is this normal?

Last edited:

moos

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Since this is now bumped to the front page, I'll also add that replacing the keyfob battery is NOT a $50 item. It requires a flat screwdriver and a $1 part:

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Not true, I got locked out of my brand new 2020 JLR today with the key fob in the center console slot. Thankfully, I have my keys to my house separate from the fob, had to a ride home to pick up my second fob and drive back. What a major PITA, my VW and my Tacoma never would lock when the fob was left in the vehicle. Is this normal?
My Sport S wouldn't lock with the fob inside . I've only done it once inadvertently, if I remember I think the horn even sounded as I started to walk away though I'm not sure now it was some time ago. I remember being confused wondering what the hell was going on.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Problem solved. It was a weak battery in the fob. They covered it under warranty but MSRP on that little jewel was over $50. Works like it should now. I'd still recommend everyone with the proximity lock check theirs by rolling down the window with the fob in the holder. lock the door with the button on the way out and see if it locks when you shut the door. It should beep 3 times and unlock. If it doesn't, the fob needs a new battery. I guess mine just failed early but I would expect this to be more common as the JLs get older.
Don't know if you have a Mopar Max Care Extended warranty? A extra benefit of the warranty. The Max Care covers the replacement of key fobs if damaged, lost or stolen.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I did not pay for that. I don’t know how long it will work, but it doesn’t change the fact that it is still working.
I believe you get a 1 year trial.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I sometimes take my Fob out because left in my pocket, the Panic button invariably gets pressed by a crease in my pants when getting out, and dependent where you are and what time it is, that can be very annoying to others! I never worried about locking it in the vehicle, because you're not supposed to be able to do that (and I have accidently tried on occasion) but after reading this thread, I now know of a condition where you CAN lock your Fob in the vehicle - so will think twice about setting it in the console.
One of my favorite features of the Tazer JL is that I can disable the panic button on the key fob.
Sponsored