LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the Teraflex Sport ST 2.5" lift on mine, with the Teraflex 2.2 Nexus stabilizer and I cannot tell you how much better this setup is over the stock OEM suspension on my Rubi. I spent about 200 miles on the highway today with another 75 offroad and the ride is improved immeasurably. Very stable on the highway with little play, or uneasiness that the stocker exhibited.

Edit: I've got the 2.1 Falcons in my Sport kit.
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I went Mopar but the spring bow is annoying to look atz I think my front fox shocks are leaking oil. Need to check that again. Flexes well though.

I’d go metalcloak if I were to do again. Their 2.5” kit with shocks. Similar price point. I’ll probably switch by end of this summer.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Arthur,

I have a 2 door Rubicon on 35"KO2’s. I have Rock Krawler 2.5" springs, Fox IPF 2.0 shocks, Steer Smarts track bar, tierod and drag link Assy, stock steering stabilizer, Metal Cloak front lower controlarms and EVO LCA drop brackets. Very happy with this setup.

I had Teraflex 4" lift on my 2008 JK and 3.5" Rock Krawler flex system with Rancho 9000’s on my 2014 JK. They both performed well.
Got any pics of your 2dr?

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m having a hard time deciding between a MetalCloak GC or RockKrawler X-factor. Both with Falcon 3.3 shocks on my 2dr Rubi.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’m learning something new every day. The first aftermarket Jeep parts I have seen were smittybilt kaiser cj5 roll cages from the early 70’s. Didn’t know falcon was making shocks back then. Crazy.
As long as we are all learning here that’s the goal brotha!

They did not make Shocks (that I’m aware of) back then however they did make CJ revolver shackles and some other Jeep related suspension performance parts in the 1950’s, I believe 55’ to be exact is where they entered the Jeep universe.

Either way they’ve been involved with Jeepers for awhile to some capacity. Longer than I’ve been around anyways lol

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the Teraflex Sport ST 2.5" lift on mine, with the Teraflex 2.2 Nexus stabilizer and I cannot tell you how much better this setup is over the stock OEM suspension on my Rubi. I spent about 200 miles on the highway today with another 75 offroad and the ride is improved immeasurably. Very stable on the highway with little play, or uneasiness that the stocker exhibited.

Edit: I've got the 2.1 Falcons in my Sport kit.
Your Jeeps suspension is my goal lol

I think they’ve done a good job of balancing HWY and Off-Road with these new kits from what I’ve heard. I’ve got the 2.2 fast adjust SS and it’s night and day over the OE SS

Reactions: aai

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
just ordered the 2.2 SS, looking forward to installing it. Any issues or dislikes running it on the firm setting?
thanks

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Your Jeeps suspension is my goal lol

I think they’ve done a good job of balancing HWY and Off-Road with these new kits from what I’ve heard. I’ve got the 2.2 fast adjust SS and it’s night and day over the OE SS
I took a road trip yesterday, about 175 miles on the highway, 75 miles offroad, and I simply cannot state how stable my Jeep felt. Like a night and day difference to me in comparison to the OEM setup. Why they left the factory with that bouncy suspension, and loose steering is beyond me when all it needed is a quality suspension setup. Anyhow, I'm very happy I purchased the Teraflex setup, including their steering stabilizer. Very happy!

One thing, if you end up with the Sports ST2 suspension, it'll include lower control arms. These correct the caster angle when the left is installed. The instructions state that the Jeep won't need an alignment after the install, that is indeed true. Tracks straight and narrow with no alignment.

I also ordered the rear trackbar bracket. It's not included, sadly but I figured I'd rather have it installed, then not. The instructions will state that the bracket *may* be needed. I went ahead and just installed it to be done with it.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-jlu-2-5-4-lift-rear-track-bar-bracket-kit-axle-end

Nortridge4x4 sells the teraflex stuff at a discount with a "SharkTank" code. Or rather they did, but worth checking out.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@LincolnSixAlpha

Thanks for the info man! Glad to hear they are working good for you! It’s def the path I’m going down.

I’m def going to @Northridge4x4 when ordering. @Northridge4x4 and @Tech Tim are the best! Hopefully code will work when it’s time!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I am looking at either the Rubicon Express 2.5 inch lift with monotube shocks or the Teraflex ST suspension kit. Any suggestions? I know Teraflex is highly regarded but nit sure about rubicon Express. Thanks.
I think a lot of which kit is best for you depends on what you plan to do with your Jeep.
For example, I don't do any serious off-roading, and my Jeep will likely never see anything more extreme than a trail back to a hunting/camping/hiking location. If I see a mud hole, or pile of rocks that I can drive around, I will. For me a lift was a cosmetic item, so I bought a cheap kit (Daystar) that retained my factory springs/shocks so I'd retain my factory ride.
On the flip side, a lot of guys/gals who bought Rubicons plan to do much more serious off-roading. Many (even seen in this thread) feel the stock suspension is too soft. Others plan to install much larger tires (in some cases 37's or bigger). In those cases, you'd want to replace the suspension components to some that are designed to handle the increased weight. Those kits will often give you more off road capability too.
So in the end, it comes down to what your plan is for your Jeep. In either case, I'd recommend finding a kit that includes LCA's or at least adjustment brackets. It seems the JL is a bit sensitive to caster angle. This is one of the reasons I bought the Daystar kit, because it came with LCA's.

Regarding the two brands you mentioned. Rubicon Express seems to have a pretty solid reputation. Terraflex, I looked at, but was a bit nervous about. When looking for a lift for my wife's Renegade, I kept seeing reviews reporting components which would fail. Enough so, that I was seeing a lot of people call it "TerrorFlex". Certainly didn't instill confidence in the product. Of course, on this forum, I don't see that sort of thing. People seem to like Terraflex here, so the issues might be with Renegade parts, not with JL parts.

Sponsored

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
I'm still in the first month of our '19 JLUR and am torn on lifts. I had the AEV 3.5" on my '12 JKUR with 35s and it rode great and I was able to do some decent crawling with it on some good trails. I wish AEV had their kit out, but they don't. I talked to them and it sounds like they are planning a release in mid-March. If patience expires ... I'm considering the Teraflex ST2 2.5" with most likely the 2.1 shocks (+ rear track bar kit and either the geometry brackets or front LCAs) or the Metalcloak 2.5" lift (just didnt want to swap front driveshafts) with 37s.

I (read: the wife) like the look of the 37s on a 2.5" lift compared to 37s on a 3.5" lift. Almost too much gap with the high lift flares. I would prefer the 3.5" lift, but she drives it more since I have a work car.

Still looking at wheels. Pretty set on BFG MT KM3s as I had great success with my KM2s on my '12.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
General question- what would a good choice be on a jlur that is planning on frequently towing close to the 3,500 limit? (Camping at Jeep events, off-roading weekends, etc)

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rubicon Express 2.5" with twin tube shocks. Im quite happy with it. It did firm up the ride overall compared to the stock suspension, but its still better than my 4" Zone on my old JK. Recently added Bumper and Winch, which softened up the front. Ill transfer some stuff to the back to add a bit of weight to help "soften" the rear some more. Alignment guy said everything needed little to no adjustment after lift install to get it near perfect alignment.

Last edited:

jbradley

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
Where is the cheapest price for the factory Mopar lift?

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I had a 3.5” Rubicon Express Lift kit on my 16’ JKUR. Not a bad lift but not great either. They use Bilstien mono tube shocks on their upgraded sport kits which is what I had. To me those shocks where way to stiff. Rode very rough in my opinion. I did the Mopar 2” lift on my JLUR and couldn’t be happier. Rides well other than general JL steering. Looks a little short to me but I can fit 37” tires with this lift on a Rubicon which is what’s important.
Agree with Seanst34. I had a 2.5" Rubicon Express suspension lift on my 2014 JKU and it was just "ok." The Bilstein mono tube shocks were very stiff thus making the ride a little bit on the harsh side. Fast forward to my current JLU where I installed the Mopar 2" lift. No comparison between the 2 lifts. I couldn't be more pleased with the Mopar lift. My wife even likes the way my JLU drives whereas she was not a fan of the way my lifted JKU drove.
Sponsored