2020 Jeep JL Lift Kit Suggestions

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Something about the MC confuses me. Why are they the only one saying a new DS is needed? I find it hard to believe they have so much more flex than others...so it seems odd to me.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Something about the MC confuses me. Why are they the only one saying a new DS is needed? I find it hard to believe they have so much more flex than others...so it seems odd to me.
It's always been recommended on any lift of 3.5" or more, and has recently become a suggested upgrade on 2.5" lifts that will be fully flexed. Metalcloak is simply the only company that likes to give a heads up to that reality and also offers one for those looking for one stop shopping.

And thay do in fact offer some of the longest travel stand-alone shocks with the Rocksports. The 6-packs are the longest travel non-coilover option out there.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since Synergy was brought up, I wanted to give a heads up. Their control arms are great for rigidity, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone looking for full flex out of their suspension. The bushings offer only minimal misalignment, before something else has to give, which turns out to be the adjustable threaded bushing getting twisted under the clamping force of the pinch bolt. I'll be ditching all 8 in favor of a full set from Metalcloak.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
It's always been recommended on any lift of 3.5" or more, and has recently become a suggested upgrade on 2.5" lifts that will be fully flexed. Metalcloak is simply the only company that likes to give a heads up to that reality and also offers one for those looking for one stop shopping.

And thay do in fact offer some of the longest travel stand-alone shocks with the Rocksports. The 6-packs are the longest travel non-coilover option out there.
I'm doing a 2.5. They are the only ones I have seen make it look imperative. Not doing a 6-pack, even if I go MC. I'm new to the JL, so it seemed odd. Wondering how imperative it really is on a 2.5 inch. Looking at all of the cheap lifts and BBs...I cannot believe everyone on a 2.5 is needing this.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm doing a 2.5. They are the only ones I have seen make it look imperative. Not doing a 6-pack, even if I go MC. I'm new to the JL, so it seemed odd. Wondering how imperative it really is on a 2.5 inch. Looking at all of the cheap lifts and BBs...I cannot believe everyone on a 2.5 is needing this.
It all boils down to how much your lift allows your axle to drop. The factory driveshaft has a larger outside diameter. That has a tendency to cause contact with the crossmember that runs just under and forward of the transfer case end of the front driveshaft. Also, the single u joint on the transfer case end of the shaft is less forgiving of working at an angle, whereas the double u joint on the aftermarket ones is purpose meant for working at the angles that come with lifting the vehicle.
Sponsored