Sponsored

Lift kit for overlanding

zoki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Mojave
I know that there was 100 posts about lifts and i'm not asking which one is the best.
I see there is a lot of people that went trough couple different ones.
From your experience what would be good setup for JL Rubicon mostly used for overlanding (35'' tires, bumper +winch, exoskeleton rack, big rtt...)
So far i didn't need lift as there was no crazy off road but im moving soon to place with a lot and even for overland i will need lift as im constantly adding stuff.
It's also a daily driver so i would go 2.5-3 in...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have not had it installed as of yet (few more weeks hopefully!) but I bought a Clayton Overland + 2.5" kit. I will be running 37s with it. Although I do not like the word overlanding really anymore, that's my build path. It will be running a Gobi stealth rack, RTT, bumpers, winch, etc. Clayton builds in the bumper and winch weights already, then increases the stiffness of the springs to handle quite a bit more weight.

When you say "big RTT" do you mean a 3-4+ person one? I would be conscious of the weight that high up. Just some food for thought. The 35s will help in width though.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
If carrying weight is your plan you’d probably want to go AEV or Clayton, they design their kits specifically around heavier load outs. Call ahead if you have a weight in mind as it might necessitate a spring change prior to purchase.

Edit: I have a Clayton 2.5 Overland+ and it rides fantastic.

OP
OP
zoki

zoki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Mojave
thanks guys...i was looking at it today...
what shocks do you run with that?
is there any other stuff that is not in the kit but needed?

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I’m running the JKS Fox 2.5s, the Clayton kit is designed around the Fox 2.0s. My installer recommended new spring pads for the front, I believe he used Rock Krawler ones. AEV’s kit comes with everything you need, but it uses geometry correction brackets instead of control arms.

Sponsored

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Deleted member 59498

Damn those are expensive, whole new Jeep ride though? What would a good shop cost to do the change out any idea? Or do it yourself? Awesome they have the diesel springs

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Overlanding means no really tough terrain, so you don't really need a lift.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
But you do need a suspension because stock springs, shocks, arms & bars won't handle overlanding weight. That suspension nearly always involves a lift as a byproduct of handling weight.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I wheel with two other JLURs. One has a full Metalcloak suspension, one has the OEM 2" lift and I'm running a 2.5" Rough Country puck mount lift. We're all pretty happy with our rigs, all can go the same places and the rides are pretty similar. I carry about 250# of extra weight and the MC guy is about like me. The OEM owner is pretty minimal. If I were to get into overlanding with more weight, I'd keep my cheap puck lift and add air bags. Don't know if I'd keep that setup long term but it's a place to start and pretty easy DIY solution for only a few hundred dollars.

OP
OP
zoki

zoki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Mojave
yes and no...depends on the terrain...
so far i did't need clearance that much but i will in the future...

OP
OP
zoki

zoki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Mojave
$700 bucks. hahahaha no. I'd make a fun day out of it with a 12 pack and make sure it's done correctly
i would too...
i love working on the cars but currently i don't have a garage or time to do something like that...
im afraid it would end up not being a fun day (except for 12 pack) and multi day project...
Sponsored