Lift kit advice

mattjryan1973

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler unlimited JL
I have a 2018 JL and after a few trips wheeling in it basically stock I want get it lifted so I get up to 35” tires on it. Been looking at the 2” MOPAR Kit. Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The Mopar kit is pretty decent, it's a spring kit, gets you a solid set of Fox's, extended bump stops, extended sway bar links, and new LCAs that will help with caster.

Most kits are going to measure lift from a Rubi, so you'll probably end up with 3"+ if you have another trim.

I definitely wouldn't pay dealer rates to install it, especially since you're toward the end of the factory warranty anyways.

If you don't have a Rubi, you'll probably want sway bar quick disconnects, instead of solid links like you'll get in the Mopar.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Do some research on whether you should regear to run 35” tires. If a Rubicon, probably not necessary. But if a non rubicon, I’d probably do it. Some people don’t though.

35’s have a LOT more rotational inertia than your standard wrangler OEM tire size, without regearing, you’re going to notice that big time in acceleration, transmission behavior, fuel mileage etc. 35’s on standard 3.45 or even the 3.73 gears available to the non-Rubicon trim levels will change the way your jeep feels in a significant way.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Rock Krawler or Metalcloak. The Mopar lift is incomplete and not great for what it costs.

OP
OP

mattjryan1973

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler unlimited JL
Do some research on whether you should regear to run 35” tires. If a Rubicon, probably not necessary. But if a non rubicon, I’d probably do it. Some people don’t though.

35’s have a LOT more rotational inertia than your standard wrangler OEM tire size, without regearing, you’re going to notice that big time in acceleration, transmission behavior, fuel mileage etc. 35’s on standard 3.45 or even the 3.73 gears available to the non-Rubicon trim levels will change the way your jeep feels in a significant way.
What kind of gearing would you suggest

Sponsored

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
What kind of gearing would you suggest
If I were doing it, I’d go for at least 4.10, and try to match the standard Rubicon’s gearing. Or 4.56 like the XR.

Jeep’s put 4.56’s on their XR package even with the auto-tranny. Overkill? Maybe. Maybe it’s in order to keep those owners comfortable when they go to 37” tires, as many will? Maybe their engineers deem that the proper gearing for running the 35’s the XR package comes with on the JL? Either way, I’d personally be regearing.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If I were doing it, I’d go for at least 4.10, and try to match the standard Rubicon’s gearing. Or 4.56 like the XR.

Jeep’s put 4.56’s on their XR package even with the auto-tranny. Overkill? Maybe. Maybe it’s in order to keep those owners comfortable when they go to 37” tires, as many will? Maybe their engineers deem that the proper gearing for running the 35’s the XR package comes with on the JL? Either way, I’d personally be regearing.
It’s like everyone just forgot about the jk all together. A jk rubicon came with the same 4.10 gears…and a transmission with a taller 1st gear. The jk rubicon on 31’s and 4.10’s has the same effective 1st drive ratio as a JL on 35’s and 3.45 gears with our 4.7-1 1st gear in the 8 speed. Obviously the lower gearing is one of the things that makes the JL so much better than the JK. Lower gearing would be better, but clearly isn’t necessary as it will literally drive like a stock JK rubicon. Personally I wouldn’t spend the money to regear sport/Sahara axles. Spend a couple hundred dollars extra and buy a set of rubicon axles. You get 4.10’s which are great for 35’s, wider axles for better clearance with the 35’s, and lockers.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
This video review of 6 different lifts may help. After watching this video and reading a lot of online reviews I went with the Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift. Glad I did. Maintained the factory ride and handling on road. Absorbs large bumps better off-road. I'm running 315/75/17 (35") tires on my stock Rubicon wheels. No spacers required other than on my stock spare tire mount. Added a 7/16" spacer to keep it from smashing the rubber bumpers on the rear door and touching the rear wiper blade. The Ultimate Jeep Wrangler Lift Kit Comparison – On & Off-Road Test - YouTube

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Depending what kind of off roading you plan on you could look into a spacer lift. I run a 2.5” RC budget boost with 35”s on my 19 sport. I’m still running stock gearing but I do have the M220 rear. Only thing I did was bought shocks for a 2.5” lift instead of running shock extensions. I run blue rated trails at Raush creek and AOAA in Pennsylvania and have done 3 BOH trails(trail 11, crawlers ridge and crawl daddy) with no issues on my setup. I don’t plan on running anything bigger than 35”s and the trails I run are about the max I’d
go.

1BF3D0C3-0FD7-4F90-8AA4-BCA0E69D4F30.jpeg

F7507248-A2C4-49A6-A8B1-693A2B8485F6.jpeg

B3ADFDAD-6196-4248-8E9B-2BD7C0B72D22.jpeg

E257977F-AE1B-4C94-86F4-26109A77E04F.jpeg

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Enjoyed this review when picking mine...

Sponsored