Sponsored

Lift and Winter/Salt

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the north and they dump heaps of salt on the roads during winter.
I'm looking into getting a ~2" lift to put 35s on my Rubicon.
Are there any brands out there that do especially bad in terms of rusting?

So far, I've narrowed it down to the Dynatrac EnduroSport and the AEV 2.5 RT. Any comments on these two?
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Metal Cloak is something you should consider. Zinc plated arms and sealed joints. Ran my JK through two winters with the kit, no rust or joint issues on any of the parts. Specifically went with this kit because others were saying their MC kits held up great in the winter. I live in NE Ohio by Lake Erie, we get a lot of snow and they chuck salt, sand, and brine all over the roads.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of the brand, use Anti-Seize on every bolt you remove/replace if at all possible (such as in cases where you need to use Loc-Tite instead). You'll be thankful you did when/if you ever have to remove that part.

If you ever get the chance to remove the front unit bearing hub, they are notorious for being difficult due to rust. Even in Nevada, I had some rust on the backside of mine when I removed them to install new axle shafts. A wire wheel (or emery cloth, etc) to knock off the rust and some anti-seize as a coating should ensure easy hub removal in the future. Might be wise to do it sooner than later.

Clean off rust on the shoulder of the top of the unit bearing and the larger diameter face (this part sits inside the knuckle). On the knuckle, clean the rust off the outer chamfered edge and the inside mounting surface. You can do the same thing with the knuckle and unit bearing mating surfaces (where the three bolt holes are). Then coat these areas with a thin layer of Anti-Seize. They will be easy to disassemble in the future as the Anti-Seize will help keep rust from forming and locking the parts together.

This is one of my unit bearings after 1.5 yrs in a "dry" desert environment and before I got the rust off.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift and Winter/Salt InkedIMG_0266_LI

After cleaning with wire wheel:
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift and Winter/Salt IMG_0269

Knuckle before cleaning:
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift and Winter/Salt InkedIMG_0265_LI

Knuckle after cleaning:
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift and Winter/Salt IMG_0270

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score