Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the Northeast where they use loads of salt on the roads and parking lots. I've found that the couplings on my ADS remote reservoir shocks were a little corroded after last winter from all the salt and I'm wanting to get some new shocks just for winter use. Based on what I've read, I'm leaning towards the Fox 2.0 shocks because the construction is less susceptible to corrosion. I was also considering bilstein 5100 shocks but don't have any experience with them and haven't seen them on lifted JL wranglers in my area.

Looking for input on what kinds of shocks would be a good winter shock and would hold up to the crap they put on the roads in the northeast.
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Never used Fox so I can't speak one way or another on them. I have used Bilstein 5100 on a couple of my rigs. The shocks were excellent. I do not live in the northeast but I drove the beaches of south Texas and Florida and never had a corrosion issue. Lived in Corpus Christi TX, everything corrodes there but my shocks did not.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
You'll have issues no matter how you go. Fox 2.0s are aluminum body and will still get corrosion and the shafts are steel either way and will rust once you pit them with road debris.

If you want something just for winter, I'd start collecting take-off Rubicon shocks for a cost-effective option along with some brackets if you need extensions.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just coat everything in Fluid Film. There are always a few mild days here and there, when those happen wash them off at a coin-op and reapply the Fluid Film.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
have 2 winters on my fox 2.0s, live in MA, they still look like new, also second on fluid film

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I live in the Northeast where they use loads of salt on the roads and parking lots. I've found that the couplings on my ADS remote reservoir shocks were a little corroded after last winter from all the salt and I'm wanting to get some new shocks just for winter use. Based on what I've read, I'm leaning towards the Fox 2.0 shocks because the construction is less susceptible to corrosion. I was also considering bilstein 5100 shocks but don't have any experience with them and haven't seen them on lifted JL wranglers in my area.

Looking for input on what kinds of shocks would be a good winter shock and would hold up to the crap they put on the roads in the northeast.
Most quality shocks are manufactured with Aluminum and SS parts. I've had both FOX & Bilstein and they are quality.

OP
OP
maaark

maaark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just coat everything in Fluid Film. There are always a few mild days here and there, when those happen wash them off at a coin-op and reapply the Fluid Film.
Tell me more about this fluid film. This is a product you apply to everything?

OP
OP
maaark

maaark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'll pick some up and give it a try. Thank you for the advice.
Sponsored