Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The stock BFG tires on the rubicon are 33's (285/70/R17) and it has the high top front fenders as well. According to some, it is unnecessary to have a lift for this size tires on a JL. Really just a matter of personal preference and tastes.
And BTW, yours is sitting perfect. That's what I'm shooting for.
Sponsored

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
And BTW, yours is sitting perfect. That's what I'm shooting for.
Thanks. I have no issue with it's current stance.

Going to track what my MPG's do over the next few fill ups. Currently it says I have a average of around 19-20 in what is mostly town driving. If that pans out to be the average over the next few weeks then I'd wager when time comes for new tires I'll go up in size. 33" or maybe to 34". Anything more seems overkill and running bigger just to run bigger tires. No point to it.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I have no issue with it's current stance.

Going to track what my MPG's do over the next few fill ups. Currently it says I have a average of around 19-20 in what is mostly town driving. If that pans out to be the average over the next few weeks then I'd wager when time comes for new tires I'll go up in size. 33" or maybe to 34". Anything more seems overkill and running bigger just to run bigger tires. No point to it.
Understood and good to hear you millage hasn't taken that bad of a hit. I'm looking to do more wheeling and the clubs around here recommend min 33's and a two inch lift for their rides. So I either beef up my JL a little or just get a dedicated wheelin rig.

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking to do more wheeling and the clubs around here recommend min 33's and a two inch lift for their rides. So I either beef up my JL a little or just get a dedicated wheelin rig.
Same here. I'm close to the Jefferson National Forrest. Plenty of off road trails and one dedicated "Jeep" trail that specifies having at least a lift and 33" or larger tires. I have a off-road trailer with a roof top tent mounted I take for camping. I had 33"s installed on the trailer so the addition of the lift makes my jeep hitch more level with that.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You're doing nothing but adding to a more unstable center of gravity with probably worse components than OEM. It's your money, but there is no reason to lift a JL for 32" tires.
worse components? That totally depends on the manufacturer. Teraflex, EVO, and RockKrawler are definitely huge improvements over stock components.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I stand by my statement, the best set up Jeeps are those that are as LOW as possible that allow the tires to cycle fully without rubbing....so on a sport, if you want to stick 33s on there, the smartest and best setup is rubicon fenders or flat fenders, not a lift. To each own.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I stand by my statement, the best set up Jeeps are those that are as LOW as possible that allow the tires to cycle fully without rubbing....so on a sport, if you want to stick 33s on there, the smartest and best setup is rubicon fenders or flat fenders, not a lift. To each own.
I think we can agree on that point. Lower is better in some respects, that's why you really have to do your research if you're shooting for a certain lift/tire combination with the Sport/Sahara. Most manufacturer's are rating their lifts based on the Rubicon which is already 1" to 1-1/2" higher due to the springs alone. So an advertised 2-1/2" spring could get you 4". So back to to the question at hand, no you don't need to lift to fit the 33's, but that is only going to get you an additional 1" of ground clearance which is already compromised when air down. So a modest lift will still handle well and be stable but maybe will keep you from being "that guy" that needs to winched off every obstacle.

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Understood and good to hear you millage hasn't taken that bad of a hit. I'm looking to do more wheeling and the clubs around here recommend min 33's and a two inch lift for their rides. So I either beef up my JL a little or just get a dedicated wheelin rig.
Well went to a 34” tire. Nitto ridge grappler 285/75r/17. Didn’t feel much inmapct in performance. Will see how the MPGs get hit but speedo was indicating 20.5 highway on way home. Passed a police radar monitor sign and my speed was only one mile per hour off. the tires are 33.9 actual diameter with a 11.25 width. Pretty quite on road. Looks better proportioned to the jeep and lift.

00063A0D-D55F-4B98-ABCF-FBEA4143701F.jpeg

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
2" TC spacers, 305/65's

IMG_4861 2.jpg

IMG_4858 2.JPG

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL, '22 JTWD
I got my lift installed. Not much difference in ride compared to stock but. It makes the stance look much better. Without a lift the jeep has a squatting appearance. Will see what sort of effect it has on the MPG and go from there in terms of eventually going to a larger tire and suspension lift.

View attachment 95507

327923C1-BEB5-4398-A04A-1482160AA2CA.jpeg

Can you please tell me what lift you installed? Thanks!

Sponsored

Steelfandk

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2DR
I got my lift installed. Not much difference in ride compared to stock but. It makes the stance look much better. Without a lift the jeep has a squatting appearance. Will see what sort of effect it has on the MPG and go from there in terms of eventually going to a larger tire and suspension lift.

View attachment 95507

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift and 32's IMG_4858 2.JPG
What did it do to your gas mileage??

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift and 32's IMG_4968

With a 2” lift and 33” tires, your jeep is likely to come out looking something like this.

I’d leave the suspension alone and just mount the tires on it at stock height. Or maybe throw in a 1” coil spacer lift if you want a little more height.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
It’s your rig, make it how you want it.

I will say that $1500 or so for aesthetics is a lot, when it serves no purpose. Your tire is the only thing giving you clearance where it counts. A set of skids, would be more effective. Just my live and learn opinion.
Sponsored