Level 2 Charger Install

AJ_4xE

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
I paid $350 for a local electrician for installing the 14 50 nema plug and he brought all materials except the wire....and I installed the charger which is easy if you have a stud finder
Sponsored

OP
OP
GoldenKnight

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
Yeeesh. This was the actual proce. Called several local places as well and everyone was at $1,700 or more.

Location, plus "new normal", plus them knowing I can offset some through taxes may explain the ridiculous cost.

It was just completed yesterday, I had scheduled it on August 8th and September 15th was their first available date. So apparently there's no lack of work for them.

Snazzy4xe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sahara 4xe
As a Sparky myself,I will tell you that electricians can be pigs when it comes to charging for ANY electrical workā€¦but we will definitely charge more if it means working In a crawl space or squeezing into attic spaceā€¦just being honestā€¦most people are terrified of electricity(rightfully so if you donā€™t know what you are doing) and Some guys will take advantage

OP
OP
GoldenKnight

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
As a Sparky myself,I will tell you that electricians can be pigs when it comes to charging for ANY electrical workā€¦but we will definitely charge more if it means working In a crawl space or squeezing into attic spaceā€¦just being honestā€¦most people are terrified of electricity(rightfully so if you donā€™t know what you are doing) and Some guys will take advantage
Unfinished basement straight up into the garage, so nothing weird there. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but it was probably $500-600 more than what I thought was reasonable.

I can do some basic electrical work, but no way would I run a new 240v line. Conduit is required for all electrical in Illinois so I wouldn't want to mess with that too.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I just had mine done a week ago.

installed:
100A sub panel in Garage
2x 50A 14-50 240V outlets
1x 20A 110v outlet

Finished basement where the service panel for the house is located.

approx 100ft run from basement to garage (and it was b!tch for them to run it over some of the air ducting) they also replaced the cut drywall but did not mud or paint.

conduit installed from sub panel to all outlets in garage, each outlet was about 35 ft run.

install was $2800.

Sponsored

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
The wire is $4-$5/foot right now, plus they will mark it up from there. The breakers are $10 for non GFCI, $100 for GFCI. You can do the math on the materials.

Electricity is not that complicated to do, but you have to have some basic knowledge. If the electrician shows up and sees you only have a small toolbox and no real tools, you'll get shafted because they know you probably call in someone to change a light bulb. If they see you're competent, they will be competitive.

Also, 6/2 & 6/3 are heavy not as flexible wires. It is a lot harder to pull through walls and crawl spaces, so the times to make those runs are longer. Also, if you are doing a long run to a garage, have a sub panel installed. Even if you don't use it now, if you ever want to add plugs or other things to the garage, they wont have to make the long run from the main.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Got mine installed a month ago. QMERIT quoted $1500. I got a local quote from a Tesla certified installer for $520. I had the Grizzly E in the box near the spot and they installed that free of charge. He did mount the holster to close to wrap the excess line around. But oh well, I had planned on installing myself the following weekend.
Sponsored