LED Light option; worth it?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I put in a set of the 8000 lumen (passive cooled) BeamTech's from Amazon and they work great. Beam pattern hit the garage wall exactly like the halogens, nobody's flashed me yet and if I walk out in a parking lot they don't look like they'd blind anyone. But the light output is so much better. Last two cars had LED headlights, and I forgot how terrible halogens are.

If these don't work out for some reason I'll replace the entire housing with an LED housing instead, but so far these Beamtechs in the factory housing seem to be working great.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
following up as the OP,...

i ended up getting a Willys Edition which included the LEDs; i am not favorably impressed.
yes, they're bright, but the output is not well controlled below the Low-Beam Cutoff, and i find the light pattern in general to be splotchy and uneven. (i don't care much for the bluish color of the light, either, but that might be chalked up to personal preference.)

had the LEDs not come with this package i don't think i would have ordered them; i prefer the much more even and warm color out of the 20+ year old Cibié H4s i have in my XJ.

EDIT: in case it wasn't clear, i've been a fan of performance lighting for decades. it's not that the factory LEDs aren't "bright"; it's that they don't manage their output in an even and properly controlled manner. poorly manged high-output light is not Good Lighting.

i've had better lights, and seen worse. bottom line, i believe there are better lighting options in the aftermarket (including some LEDs) than the stock J**p LEDs.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Not everybody likes everything. I think the LEDs on the JLs are excellent. In my opinion, they are better than the LEDs in the GX460 we had and our Lincoln Navigator. The only thing that disappointed me about the Willys was that Jeep didn't include LEDs on the front fenders and taillights. Just headlights and fog lights.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Unlike a lot of options that you can get for the JL....the LED option is something that “You Will USE” every time you drive at night.....and you WILL appreciate those bright lights....they make driving at night SAFE ! All the lights are brighter....and the headlights cast bright useable light much further than the standard headlights.
ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT !
same goes for the Alpine 8.4 info-tainment system.....you’ll use it EVERYTIME your driving your JL.....and yes....it’s worth every penny.
as for the other options.....you may rarely use them.
DEFINITELY....don’t pay extra for steel bumpers.

GOOD LUCK.

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
LED is a great option. The biggest thing I've heard as a big downfall is in snow. Because of the way the headlamps are inset in the grill, in snow, they will fill up and become packed. The LED's don't get hot enough to melt the snow, making it difficult in winter driving and heavy snow.

I live in Wisconsin and don't have the LED's. A friend of mine has a Rubi with the LED's and mentioned this problem last year on a long drive across the state to visit family. They had to pull over several times to clear out the headlamps.
This IS also a problem with incandescent headlights: it's not unique to LEDs. The lamp housings are inset so far that snow will accumulate regardless of the heat from the lamp.

Sponsored

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
I dont have the LED's, but I did replace the original halogens with Philips 9008 H13 +100. They are extremely bright, and under $30. They are on sale now, for $17.80 for two, on Amazon, free shipping. I've had them for almost two years without a single issue. I've used these on other cars/trucks over the years. If one burns out, it is only a few dollars.
How much to replace an LED??

P.S., The Philips 9008 H13 +100, that I replaced the originals with are Halogens. Just very bright Halogens.
Do these help prevent snow buildup?

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
Two JK’s without them, and now my JL 2021 Willys with them, I find I love the led headlights and fog lights on the 2021.
To me, a big improvement from all my last two JK’s, 2012, 2016, and now my 2021 JL has them . I hit the roads for work around 4 am, and the led’s make a big difference on the roads I take to work. My opinion..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Do these help prevent snow buildup?
Halogens generate more heat and should help with snow buildup. The inset design of the wrangler headlights is kind of counterproductive to shedding the snow though.
Most of my years of snow driving and emergency snow removal work, I've had halogens. The recessed headlamp lenses always collect and build up snow, regardless of halogen or led. The halogens do a better job of melting the snow on the lense that is immediately in front of the bulb, but the rest of the lense will only self clear if sitting still for a period of time with the lights on.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Most of my years of snow driving and emergency snow removal work, I've had halogens. The recessed headlamp lenses always collect and build up snow, regardless of halogen or led. The halogens do a better job of melting the snow on the lens that is immediately in front of the bulb, but the rest of the lens will only self clear if sitting still for a period of time with the lights on.
It was my one regret going to custom headlights in upstate NY, LEDs put out magnificent light but sucked when it came to me having to scrape them off. Also why I kept the old halogens on our HMMWVs when everyone else wanted the hip new LEDs.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm amazed that nobody has created clear dome headlight caps for the JL, so instead of being recessed it's a slightly protruding dome. That's all it would take to prevent snow buildup in LED headlights.

Reactions: AFD

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It was my one regret going to custom headlights in upstate NY, LEDs put out magnificent light but sucked when it came to me having to scrape them off. Also why I kept the old halogens on our HMMWVs when everyone else wanted the hip new LEDs.
Yeah, I've always had to hop out and physically clear the recess every so often, regardless of halogen or led. But it was nice to get that initial defrost from the halogen heat after a cold start when the while vehicle is coated in ice. Over the years, I got into the habit of spritzing the lights with wd40 after parking when there's snow about to blow in. I've also heard of using a thin film of carnuba wax paste, which holds onto the lense longer when it's a rain/snow fall event. Makes sense, as I've always had better luck with the wd40 if it's just straight snow.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm amazed that nobody has created clear dome headlight caps for the JL, so instead of being recessed it's a slightly protruding dome. That's all it would take to prevent snow buildup in LED headlights.
That would be the perfect passive fix, to remove that little wind turbulence that captures the snow. Might take away the look a bit.

I've wondered why rugged Ridge hasn't added a heating element to the backside of the headlamp guards. I believe they are spaced away from the lense, so the heat shouldn't affect the lense.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That would be the perfect passive fix, to remove that little wind turbulence that captures the snow. Might take away the look a bit.
I don't think so if it's done subtly. Historically, Jeep headlights weren't recessed. That started with a slight recess on the YJ and it has been getting deeper ever since. Maybe it's time to bring back the CJ's slightly bulging eyes.
Sponsored