LED Headlight disassembly

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
In Europe the halos are not connected in the headlight and two solutions : 1) disassemble to connect the led halo. 2) buy USA headlight version (money money ...) European version headlights have automatic height adjustment, not in the USA (I think)
Sponsored

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pic of mine...

F8B57EBE-EAC9-4B00-A431-37D0BF997CE2.jpeg
Hello, for the headlights celled with permaseal, (like headlights JL) some professional advice to heat them several times, and if that can not remove with this method. They say to cut the lens with a dremel tool ... see this :

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I have mine finished.

I tried the bake and pry method numerous times, increasing the oven temp each time until I gave up at 325° F. It started to soften the seal, but it also softened the black plastic casing even more. I then went to the dremel method. I cut the outer plastic lip off of the black housing all the way around except where the two mounting brackets are and then used a pick to scrape out the inside seal between the lens lip and inner housing lip. After hours of work, I was able to separate the two. I cleaned all of the old sealant off and used a copious amount of black silicone to seal the lens back on when I was done. The mounting of the LED is a whole nother story. I will say that Oracle had no instructions or videos on this, and after numerous phone calls, I was left to figure it out on my own.

03D15C26-DD99-4EA0-B3E6-6BC1CC4A25F2.jpeg

B6961F1F-D00F-4CB6-B5FA-25FCE2E725CE.jpeg

BC5B2FD1-60FC-4397-B514-D78DEAE054B3.jpeg

87BF0B0E-433F-4024-A7D1-6B3D92D581E1.jpeg

10C2B116-CA3E-4F95-8F12-610BDC1C8242.jpeg

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And assembled.

35F63E21-6C59-48F2-8132-03D672F029B1.jpeg

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello Joltes, you have a lot of courage and perseverance. You really wanted the eyes of the devil ... Here in Europe the jeepers want the eyes of angels ... we do not have the same culture ...:LOL:

Thank you again for your report on the method of cutting headlight JL

PS : It's nice your little workbench, I'd like to work with you, but it's too far ...

Sponsored

jarvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Manual, 12 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior

I tried the bake and pry method numerous times, increasing the oven temp each time until I gave up at 325° F. It started to soften the seal, but it also softened the black plastic casing even more. I then went to the dremel method. I cut the outer plastic lip off of the black housing all the way around except where the two mounting brackets are and then used a pick to scrape out the inside seal between the lens lip and inner housing lip. After hours of work, I was able to separate the two. I cleaned all of the old sealant off and used a copious amount of black silicone to seal the lens back on when I was done. The mounting of the LED is a whole nother story. I will say that Oracle had no instructions or videos on this, and after numerous phone calls, I was left to figure it out on my own.
Looks great, but can you elaborate on what you did on mounting the LED that you figured out on your own?

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great, but can you elaborate on what you did on mounting the LED that you figured out on your own?
In this picture, you can see the LED’s that operate for the headlights. 7 for the low beams, and an additional 7 that come on for the high beams. I used epoxy to glue the strip to the metal that separates those two sets.

51D24B88-8B46-444E-AAF8-B7221C1529EC.jpeg

6ADF6F17-D3B8-41C0-8724-5706B933383A.jpeg

That was the only place I could figure out to mount them, that wouldn’t block the light from the headlights into the projectors.

JPMcNown

First Name
John-Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Time to resurrect this one after almost a year. I've never done this, and I'm super hesitant to cut into headlights that will cost me over a grand to replace if I F-em up. Thanks in advance for any/all advice y'all can give me. Looking forward to adding my own experiences to assist others.

I've got the factory LED headlights, and am preparing to install the Oracle RGB+W Halo internal upgrade along with the Demon Eyes. ( I didn't want to just replace the headlights because I like the clean look of the factory LED's, and I also didn't want the Halos on the outside of the lens)

1. Assuming I can't bake my LED's (US variant), is a dremel really the best tool for the job? What about a proper precision hot knife?
2. In post #18 There's a pic that says "no cuts here"...Um, how is one supposed to remove the front lens without cutting the entire circumference of the lens housing?
3. Does Permetex 81173 mentioned in the video in post #17 dry/cure with a plastic like hardness? Does it remain rubbery? Basically what I'm asking, if it remains rubbery, is that a generally accepted sacrifice? Or is there a better product to use like an epoxy? I mean, my JK had mounting rings to add a bit the the structure. These don't appear to have anything else helping hold things together.
4. Should I prepare myself for inevitable moisture/condensation after cutting into this sealed housing? Any tips to avoid/mitigate it?

-Thank you, seriously

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 door

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight disassembly 6ADF6F17-D3B8-41C0-8724-5706B933383A

Hi Joltes,

Would it be possible to share pictures of open headlight with halo ring exposed plus electronic circuit for halo? Here in Europe most likely halo ring with LEDs and electronics are missing so I'd like to see how it looks like. PS: I hope you have some pictures after a year ;o) Thanks

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Joltes,

Would it be possible to share pictures of open headlight with halo ring exposed plus electronic circuit for halo? Here in Europe most likely halo ring with LEDs and electronics are missing so I'd like to see how it looks like. PS: I hope you have some pictures after a year ;o) Thanks
I do have a video. I’ll get it uploaded today.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. If the video loads, it shows the different pieces of the headlight and how they are connected.
In the picture, the red circles show the halo l.e.d. circuit boards, and the blue arrow points to the tiny l.e.d. that lights up the halo rings.
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight disassembly F7381B01-E974-4E13-A2F7-F0F623B8C35E

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I have to make the video smaller to upload it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Time to resurrect this one after almost a year. I've never done this, and I'm super hesitant to cut into headlights that will cost me over a grand to replace if I F-em up. Thanks in advance for any/all advice y'all can give me. Looking forward to adding my own experiences to assist others.

I've got the factory LED headlights, and am preparing to install the Oracle RGB+W Halo internal upgrade along with the Demon Eyes. ( I didn't want to just replace the headlights because I like the clean look of the factory LED's, and I also didn't want the Halos on the outside of the lens)

1. Assuming I can't bake my LED's (US variant), is a dremel really the best tool for the job? What about a proper precision hot knife?
2. In post #18 There's a pic that says "no cuts here"...Um, how is one supposed to remove the front lens without cutting the entire circumference of the lens housing?
3. Does Permetex 81173 mentioned in the video in post #17 dry/cure with a plastic like hardness? Does it remain rubbery? Basically what I'm asking, if it remains rubbery, is that a generally accepted sacrifice? Or is there a better product to use like an epoxy? I mean, my JK had mounting rings to add a bit the the structure. These don't appear to have anything else helping hold things together.
4. Should I prepare myself for inevitable moisture/condensation after cutting into this sealed housing? Any tips to avoid/mitigate it?

-Thank you, seriously
@JPMcNown. I just saw that you posted. Sorry.
1. You could cut it with anything, I only had a dremel available. It was messy.
2. If you cut where the “no cuts here” is, you’ll cut the mounting points off. I used a pick to pull the rubber seal loose there.
3. The permatex that I used remains soft and rubbery. It sealed up well.
4 My Jeep has not gotten any condensation in the lights. Although they are “sealed beams” they actually have little vents in the back of the lights with a screen in them. A pic is attached below.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight disassembly 5C753B45-BE7C-43D7-B72A-D849B3E3657D

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight disassembly 185682F9-F53A-44C8-AAB7-EF9729674AE7
Sponsored