Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the stock LED headlight assembly comes apart? I was thinking about adding a red LED inside the projector assembly to give mine the "demon eye" look.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, to answer my own question, I took off my grill and removed the passenger side headlight. There is no entry point on the back whatsoever. There is a heatsink on the bottom that comes off with 3 torx screws, but it is also attached with wiring that doesn't have enough slack to pull it far enough out to explore further. The front lens appears as though it is removable. There are four delicate plastic retainers around the edge that help hold it on, but even with breaking one of those, the lens seemed very securely attached. I was to afraid to crack it to pry it apart any further. So, long story short, I still don't know how to get inside...

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
You will most likely have to bake it around 230' for 5 mins and try to pry the lens off. Repeat in 5 min increments until you can get the lens off. I've done this a few times before personally and it works fine as long as you don't get it too hot or else the plastics will melt!!

Good luck!

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You will most likely have to bake it around 230' for 5 mins and try to pry the lens off. Repeat in 5 min increments until you can get the lens off. I've done this a few times before personally and it works fine as long as you don't get it too hot or else the plastics will melt!!

Good luck!
I wondered if that would help soften the plastic, but I was also afraid it would damage the electrics or warp the clear lens. I am still too timid to give it a try... lol. If I could find a wrecked one to experiment on, then maybe.

HuskyJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I wondered if that would help soften the plastic, but I was also afraid it would damage the electrics or warp the clear lens. I am still too timid to give it a try... lol. If I could find a wrecked one to experiment on, then maybe.
I have only researched the topic, not attempted it myself (yet). It's to soften the adhesive, not the plastic. If you do decide to attempt thos, please update this thread! I'm not quite ready to put my headlights in the oven, but if I can buy a spare set of halogens I'll try it so that I can throw a bixenon retrofit in 'em.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't bring myself to do it. That is an expensive mistake if something with the electronics went out. I need a broken test subject to dissect.

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase

Good luck!
What Fletch said. Also, but some butyl rubber strips to reseal it when you’re done.

I can't bring myself to do it. That is an expensive mistake if something with the electronics went out. I need a broken test subject to dissect.
Try it on a used JK light or a cheap JL halogen replacement, if you can find one. They should be built similarly.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Silicone caulk/sealant works too. Black.

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I saw a video on Oracle's website for a halo colorchange kit. It LOOKS pretty straightforward on how to disassemble the headlight... However, the headlight that they used must have been a prototype or an early design, because my headlight lens was not the same. Mine has a lip that seals into a groove on the headlight housing. The lens in the video appears to be flat where it seals.

OP
OP
Joltes

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pic of mine...

F8B57EBE-EAC9-4B00-A431-37D0BF997CE2.jpeg

Sponsored

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
hello joltes, it is necessary to preheat the oven to about 220 fahrenheit and leave the headlight 15-20min in, then quickly to prevent the lens to cool and it comes off easily.I have the same lens as your headlight and no problem. But cold it does not come off ...
Phare.jpg

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
hello joltes, it is necessary to preheat the oven to about 220 fahrenheit and leave the headlight 15-20min in, then quickly to prevent the lens to cool and it comes off easily.I have the same lens as your headlight and no problem. But cold it does not come off ...
Phare.jpg
I baked mine for 20 mins at 220f and the lens didn't budge at all. The plastic under the lip of the lens folded under just as Joltes showed in his photo. Id really be currious to see what you did to get yours off with ease.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
hello, I raised by the small legs that I indicated on the picture. see the red arrows.
I bought a special thermometer for the ovens, the thermostats are not precise enough. I put 100 degrees celsius (212 fahrenheit) it is necessary that the oven is at the right temperature and the headlight 15-20 minutes in.
Europe's headlights are not the same as you, maybe that's the reason. Ask to oracle lighting why yours does not come. and if you had bought the kit of Oracle? so, how to do ?

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
hello, I raised by the small legs that I indicated on the picture. see the red arrows.
I bought a special thermometer for the ovens, the thermostats are not precise enough. I put 100 degrees celsius (212 fahrenheit) it is necessary that the oven is at the right temperature and the headlight 15-20 minutes in.
Europe's headlights are not the same as you, maybe that's the reason. Ask to oracle lighting why yours does not come. and if you had bought the kit of Oracle? so, how to do ?
Thanks for the response - Yeah im not sure if the seal is different, however i believe the ones im working with are sealed with permaseal and not butel. I baked mine for almost 30 mins and the glue didn't budge an inch, the plastic housing only bent/tore. If someone just sells the lens i may reattempt to open them back up, but i feel the only way in is braking the clear lens or tearing the pastic.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the stock LED headlight assembly comes apart? I was thinking about adding a red LED inside the projector assembly to give mine the "demon eye" look.
Since red light in front of vehicle is illegal why are you doing it?
Sponsored