Sponsored

Leak or Condensation

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Purchased my JLU in July and just experienced my first major snowfall yesterday with 18+ inches. I was out-n-about in the snow all day (how could you not.) Throughout the day my passengers and I were in and out of the Jeep tracking a lot of snow inside. Needless to say the interior got quite wet. Most of it collecting in small puddles in the vinyl mats.
When I settled in for the evening it was still snowing, so when I woke this morning there was about 3-4 inches of snow on the roof. I did not brush the snow off the sky top this morning, so I as it slowly melted I noticed beads of moisture forming on the interior of the sky top.
Thankfully none of it was dripping onto my seats, but it was very noticeable and slightly alarming. I'm wondering if the melting snow on top of the exterior of the sky top is leaking through, or is it just condensation forming from the wet interior...or both?

JL_Roof_2.jpg

JL_Roof_1.jpg
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Purchased my JLU in July and just experienced my first major snowfall yesterday with 18+ inches. I was out-n-about in the snow all day (how could you not.) Throughout the day my passengers and I were in and out of the Jeep tracking a lot of snow inside. Needless to say the interior got quite wet. Most of it collecting in small puddles in the vinyl mats.
When I settled in for the evening it was still snowing, so when I woke this morning there was about 3-4 inches of snow on the roof. I did not brush the snow off the sky top this morning, so I as it slowly melted I noticed beads of moisture forming on the interior of the sky top.
Thankfully none of it was dripping onto my seats, but it was very noticeable and slightly alarming. I'm wondering if the melting snow on top of the exterior of the sky top is leaking through, or is it just condensation forming from the wet interior...or both?

Jeep Wrangler JL Leak or Condensation JL_Roof_1

Jeep Wrangler JL Leak or Condensation JL_Roof_1
Sorry to hear this, digitalmdsmooth! Have you had the chance to visit a dealer yet for assistance? Send us a private message and let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
That looks like condensation from the moisture you had inside the Jeep. I have had plenty of softops that had lots of snow on top of them and I never had water bead up like that as a result.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I'd say condensation as well. I think the moisture on the floor had something to do with it, but more likely the fact that there was a few inches of cold snow on the roof. Once the inside warms up (even just sitting in the sun) there's a pretty drastic temperature change happening on that piece of material.

OP
OP
digitalmdsmooth
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Thanks for the replies. Looks like it was just a case of condensation. It seems to have cleared up after running the AC for awhile.
We got a few inches of snow two days later and I managed to keep it all out of the Jeep. No water beads appeared on the Sky Top interior.
Sponsored