Sponsored

Latest JLU issues

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
My JL is my 13th Jeep... Best one yet. Just saying.. OK, so the 46 has zero electronic's but still has jeep issues.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Judging by the OP’s other vehicles, mostly Audis, he took a gamble by giving Jeep a try. Audis are not perfect, but the dealer experience is beyond anything Jeep is able to offer.

FCA set out to capture a new type of buyer with JL: one that is more affluent, more educated, and more willing to pay these prices. Unfortunately, it didn’t bother to follow through with making sure the levels of quality and service delivered met those expectations.

For those of us familiar with Jeeps none of this is news. However, the more Jeep keeps pushing up prices, the more buyers are to expect that those prices represent superior quality, superior customer service, or both. And they are justified to think that.

“It’s a Jeep thing...” can be funny on a $25,000 Jeep; stops being funny on a $40,000 Jeep. It certainly has no place on a $50,000 Jeep. JL prices are now reaching $60,000 but the underlying quality and customer service haven’t gotten any better.

I’m sure JL attracted many first-time owners who will stay with Jeep for years. But I am afraid that in months to come, as JLs start to age, a large numbers of these owners will end up leaving Jeep, fed up, disappointed and soured with the experience. And who can blame them?
The price increases especially large increases like with the JL should be met with better quality for sure. Nobody disagrees with that. What I do disagree with is calling the new JL a piece of shit because of the electronics. Every brand out there nowadays has common electronic issues that are first world problems for the owner. Nothing serious but inconvenience for sure. Any buyer who buys a new vehicle should accept this going in. Jeep is not unique in this regard.

With the JL the electronics, dashboard and interior in general is far nicer over it's predecessor. There is a genuine improvement. It's so nice that the typical Jeep haters like ConsumerReports, JDPower, other publications, youtube reviewers, etc offer nothing but praise. The minority having minor issues does not make the vehicle junk. People will focus on the negative like losing heated seats but won't mention that the base heat is better than anything else including far pricier vehicles. I assume the OP had an adequate dealer experience since he didn't mention bad service.

This is another thing that comes down to perception. If Audi, Honda, Subaru, whomever fixes up the electronics they're doing the right thing since the buyer got unlucky. If Jeep does it they're doing it because the vehicle is a piece of shit and they're all like that. The double standards amaze me.

maxmk8

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Pooper
Wait cost is associated with reliability ?
Tell that to Range Rover owners... Since some seem to think that a 50k vehicle needs to be more reliable than a 25k vehicle. If anything its the other way around... what's going to have more issues... a 15k mitsubishi Mirage or a 400 Rolls Royce Wraith

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Nobody keeps a German car past the warranty period.
Ain't that the truth - unless you don't mind spending money and have a large bank account:). My son has had a couple of BMWs, once they were out of warranty (and the no charge maintenance) the cost of some of the basic service items was unbelievable.

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
Yes, I won't make that mistake again.

Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Honestly, I think everyone that has infotainment issues are those that have either the 5 inch or 7 inch radio. Rarely do I see complaints about the 8.4. Guess you get what you pay for. ‍♂

joec63

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy's 2 Door
Hope those having issues get them sorted. I'm new to Jeep brand, only a week, so I have no issues or much experience yet. So far so good. However, I've owned a good amount of vehicles and been on many forums. From VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) to Ford (Mustang) to Toyota/Honda and everything in between. They all have issues and when you go to those forums and look at the complaints it's enough to scare you from any brand, not unique to Jeep. It's been said time and again but owners with no issues rarely get on line to announce it. Hope my ownership is trouble free but acknowledge it's a crapshoot with any vehicle. IME

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hope those having issues get them sorted. I'm new to Jeep brand, only a week, so I have no issues or much experience yet. So far so good. However, I've owned a good amount of vehicles and been on many forums. From VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) to Ford (Mustang) to Toyota/Honda and everything in between. They all have issues and when you go to those forums and look at the complaints it's enough to scare you from any brand, not unique to Jeep. It's been said time and again but owners with no issues rarely get on line to announce it. Hope my ownership is trouble free but acknowledge it's a crapshoot with any vehicle. IME
:like:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The price increases especially large increases like with the JL should be met with better quality for sure. Nobody disagrees with that. What I do disagree with is calling the new JL a piece of shit because of the electronics. Every brand out there nowadays has common electronic issues that are first world problems for the owner. Nothing serious but inconvenience for sure. Any buyer who buys a new vehicle should accept this going in. Jeep is not unique in this regard.

With the JL the electronics, dashboard and interior in general is far nicer over it's predecessor. There is a genuine improvement. It's so nice that the typical Jeep haters like ConsumerReports, JDPower, other publications, youtube reviewers, etc offer nothing but praise. The minority having minor issues does not make the vehicle junk. People will focus on the negative like losing heated seats but won't mention that the base heat is better than anything else including far pricier vehicles. I assume the OP had an adequate dealer experience since he didn't mention bad service.

This is another thing that comes down to perception. If Audi, Honda, Subaru, whomever fixes up the electronics they're doing the right thing since the buyer got unlucky. If Jeep does it they're doing it because the vehicle is a piece of shit and they're all like that. The double standards amaze me.
It is true that all vehicles have more electronics these days. However, dealers have the ability to turn any minor inconvenience into a major problem simply by giving the customer the runaround, ignoring customer concerns, or by taking 2, 3 or more visits to fix the same thing.

Jeep ranks near the bottom in both quality and customer service, so that's a double whammy: not only are we more likely to have a product issue, we are also less likely to have a dealer solve it. What incenses me, and why I sympathize with the OP, is that FCA behaves as if everything is honky-dory. FCA knows full well its quality is not where it needs to be and its dealers suck, yet it keeps raising prices as if we were a bunch of idiots. I am sorry, but this is not a strategy for the long-term.

BTW, I worked at JD Power years ago: they do NOT have an anti-Jeep bias; they are simply reporting whatever issues actual owners encounter. If Jeep ranks near the bottom that is because Jeep owners are in fact experiencing more problems. Consumer Reports, on the other hand, IS biased: they allow their personal prejudices to crawl into their reports, which is totally unethical. CR's methodology is pseudo-science at best. Fortunately, their influence has been diminishing with the advent of free online reviews.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wait cost is associated with reliability ?
Tell that to Range Rover owners... Since some seem to think that a 50k vehicle needs to be more reliable than a 25k vehicle.
Yeah, I wouldn't have chosen Land Rover as the automaker to emulate. Unfortunately, Marchionne stated publicly that he wanted Jeep to be more like Land Rover.

Whether we like it or not, looks like Jeep is well on its way.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It is true that all vehicles have more electronics these days. However, dealers have the ability to turn any minor inconvenience into a major problem simply by giving the customer the runaround, ignoring customer concerns, or by taking 2, 3 or more visits to fix the same thing.

Jeep ranks near the bottom in both quality and customer service, so that's a double whammy: not only are we more likely to have a product issue, we are also less likely to have a dealer solve it. What incenses me, and why I sympathize with the OP, is that FCA behaves as if everything is honky-dory. FCA knows full well its quality is not where it needs to be and its dealers suck, yet it keeps raising prices as if we were a bunch of idiots. I am sorry, but this is not a strategy for the long-term.

BTW, I worked at JD Power years ago: they do NOT have an anti-Jeep bias; they are simply reporting whatever issues actual owners encounter. If Jeep ranks near the bottom that is because Jeep owners are in fact experiencing more problems. Consumer Reports, on the other hand, IS biased: they allow their personal prejudices to crawl into their reports, which is totally unethical. CR's methodology is pseudo-science at best. Fortunately, their influence has been diminishing with the advent of free online reviews.
Yes. This post has nothing to do with dealer service though and is not what the OP is complaining about.

That only confirms the point I'm making. When JD Power says Jeep is unreliable, unsafe, etc it's taken as gospel. But when the electronics(UConnect in particular) are well reviewed it's conveniently ignored. People see what they want to see.
Sponsored