First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
SO my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited arrived at Koons Jeep and I went to pick it up on Saturday Oct 3rd. Had my own financing and a quote from Tom Winkels for a 7 year 75k extended warranty for $840 for when they try to push the Maint/Warranty.

Had a 9AM appointment. Got there early so we walked the lot looking at all the Jeeps. Got in shortly after 9AM, met Craig, went over details of the purchase and the process. One thing that I wasn't sure about was they run a credit check on you whether you bring your own financing or not to allegedly prove you've not been involved in fraudulent activity, writing bad checks, etc. I pressed back making sure that my info wasn't going out to a bunch of banks resulting in a ton of hard inquiries on my credit report. In the end it only showed one inquiry from them. Still not unsure of that whole step.

They brought the Jeep down and we checked it out. Everything looked good. Tried to look over as much of it as I could. There was a scratch on the front bumper but I'm going to go aftermarket on the bumper so I got the plastic one so I wasn't worried much about that. One thing I did notice is the seals around the rear door windows are cheap AF.

Went back in and Howard took us up to take my check from my Credit Union and the rest of the finance steps. Howard was great to deal with. He pressed us on the Maint/Warranty. I showed him my quote for the extended warranty from Tom Winkels for $840 and they matched it.

Went back down, Craig put the plates on the Jeep and all was well. Super quick and easy process. In and out in about two hours.

THEN, we go to lunch and as I'm getting out of the Jeep my wife looks over and notices about an inch long cut in the leather driver's seat right in the middle of the seat where your butt sits. Super clean cut as if someone took a box cutter and sliced it by accident. You could not see it unless you pushed on the seat it was so clean. Called Craig, and stopped back by after we ate lunch. Craig looks at it and I send him a picture I took with my phone. They could not do anything about the seat that day since it was a Saturday. Craig asks me how I would like to proceed to which I stated I wanted a new seat. I live five hours away from the dealership so he suggested I try to have a local dealer order a seat, replace it and they would reimburse myself or the dealer. It was really my only option at the time so I agreed and he wrote me an IOU for reimbursement on the seat.

I get home and the next Monday I call around and no one can get a seat for a 2021 because there is no part number so I call Craig back and let him know. He checks with their parts department and they cannot get a seat either. Craig asks me how I want to proceed again to which I'm thinking shouldn't you all be laying out the options that KOONS has to fix this problem? I ask if I can drive it back up and have them fix it one day but apparently it takes their service department TWO DAYS to take a Rubicon seat out and install a new one which seems a little ridiculous to me. I offer to drop it off on a Saturday and come back the next Saturday a week later to pick it up. Craig said they cannot give loaners out for more than five days and gave zero flexibility on this even though I live five hours away and this damage happened unknowingly at the plant, in shipping or when it got to Koons. Finally I agree to take a day off of work, drive the Jeep up on a Tuesday for them to replace the seat and I will go back on the next Saturday so I only have the loaner 5 days which I am doing on the 27th of this month.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

-Koons is a great place to buy a Jeep for the most part.
-Craig is pretty easy to work with and the process is as well.
-Harold in Finance is great to work with.
-It's the cheapest place to buy a Jeep
-Take your own financing and get a quote from Tom Winkels on extended warranty if you want one.
-Hope and pray that there is no damage to your Jeep no matter how insignificant because it will be a pain in the ass to get it fixed if you live far away from them. I honestly think they were hoping I'd just say don't worry about it I'll live with the cut but it's getting worse and I don't want a 2021 Rubicon with a cut in the seat.
-They do not seem very flexible to fix issues such as these at least from my experience. I'm going to have to drive 20 hours total to have this seat replaced, take a vacation day from work which sucks. I'm sure it would be different if I lived closer to them but I know they have a lot of people from far away travel to buy vehicles from them so just take that into consideration.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Chad,

Glad to read that, on net, your purchase experience went reasonably well.

On the day I ordered my JLU, I was careful to politely advise my salesman that my pre-delivery inspection will be thorough. Your post reminds me of the importance of doing so.

Let us know if the repair occurs in a satisfactory manner.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Chad,

Glad to read that, on net, your purchase experience went reasonably well.

On the day I ordered my JLU, I was careful to politely advise my salesman that my pre-delivery inspection will be thorough. Your post reminds me of the importance of doing so.

Let us know if the repair occurs in a satisfactory manner.
I am glad this was posted, i get wrapped up in everything and get careless on checking things over. I will make SURE to slow my roll and take the time to look over every little bit. I am glad the OP's purchase went well, but I am REALLY disappointed in the after sale treatment. They blew an opportunity to have you come on here and rave about their service....

shadyInCA

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S, Toyota MR2 Spyder, Kia Sorrento, Newmar Baystar Sport
This is a good reminder for having a thorough pre-delivery inspection.

On the last car I bought (not Jeep), when we got home with our new shiny car, we noticed a cut in the rear passenger leather seat. Our dealer told us that we must have accidentally cut it, because it didn't show up on their inspection and as we didn't bring it up when we did the inspection they refused to cover it.

It sounds like Koons are trying to do the right thing.

OP
OP
chadk77

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
UPDATE: So I was supposed to take my JLUR to Koons tomorrow to have the seat swapped out with another seat from another Rubicon. That was what I agreed to have done two weeks ago. I email Craig yesterday to remind him I am coming.

Craig emails me today saying that the shop that they were going to send the Jeep to, to have the leather fixed has had Covid cases and is shutdown for the week and that I'd have to reschedule after I had to plan to take off of work to take the Jeep up there because they would not extend the loaner length from 5 days to 8 so I wouldn't have to take a day off of work. I wonder when he planned on telling me this? When I showed up tomorrow had I not emailed him yesterday? I'm also confused because what I agreed to was to have the whole seat swapped out not have the leather "fixed".

I call and he tells me they are going to replace the bottom portion of the leather where the cut is and not swap the seat out which is NOT what I had agreed on. Then he said that the guy over the shop fixing it will be coming into the dealership today for a meeting and he would talk to him about it. A guy who owns a shop who is allegedly shutdown due to a COVID scare is coming into the dealerhship??? and you all are allowing this?? Seemed like BS to me.

So now I'm having to figure out another time I can drive the Rubicon up to have this fixed. This is getting realllllllly old with the runaround I'm getting. I contacted Jeep Cares but the dealership apparently will not return their calls. Hope everyone else's deals go better than mine has so far.

Sponsored

93civEJ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Sounds like the dealership sucks.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Sounds like the dealership sucks.
Correction.. sounds like their SERVICE sucks. They are MORE than glad to take your money. In all fairness though, I have was not able to find a cheaper price on an ordered Jeep than Koons in VA.

Craig is a sales guy, it should be the service department calling you and they should be calling you with ANY updates. There is no excuse for how you have been treated. I ordered mine from them but will never take it there for service.

Once again - THANKS FOR POSTING your nightmare about your seat issue. I will take 1 full hour and go over mine bumper to bumper looking for anything knowing it is too late once I take it home. I REALLY hope they work this out for you. :(

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Mm. I recall the almost malefic grin that the salesperson gave us when my wife confirmed that we didn't need a We Owe document at the conclusion of the delivery process for her 2019 Honda. I remember thinking, Wow, and Lord help us if we have to come back in the short term for help with anything.

I had given that vehicle a thorough eyeballing, and it was indeed squared away. I'm already envisioning just how carefully I'll do the same for the JL.

---------------

Chad, I'm wondering if, from this point forward, it'd be practical for you to use email for this matter? You'd be getting both sides in writing, so to speak. This M.O. might serve to expedite resolving any claims of miscommunication, such as what you are currently dealing with. Just a thought. Continued good luck to you here. :like:

OP
OP
chadk77

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
I
Mm. I recall the almost malefic grin that the salesperson gave us when my wife confirmed that we didn't need a We Owe document at the conclusion of the delivery process for her 2019 Honda. I remember thinking, Wow, and Lord help us if we have to come back in the short term for help with anything.

I had given that vehicle a thorough eyeballing, and it was indeed squared away. I'm already envisioning just how carefully I'll do the same for the JL.

---------------

Chad, I'm wondering if, from this point forward, it'd be practical for you to use email for this matter? You'd be getting both sides in writing, so to speak. This M.O. might serve to expedite resolving any claims of miscommunication, such as what you are currently dealing with. Just a thought. Continued good luck to you here. :like:
I have all the communications through email including him saying the seat would be swapped out for another seat. I quoted the email verbatim when I called about the latest issue. I also have JeepCares involved. At this point I just want the seat fixed and be done with it So I don’t have to deal with them anymore. Great deal, terrible follow up service.
Sponsored