k9chita

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have ordered a JLU Sahara and purchased a set of Rubicon rims from another member of this Forum. My question is this, I am going tube purchasing BFG KO2 tires. The Rubicon comes stock 285/70R17, which are 32.8 inches in diameter according to the BFG website. I know those will fit the stock Sahara. The 285/75R17 are 33.9 inches in diameter and ever so slightly narrower. This is going to be my wife's vehicle, and will see very little, if any off roading. Is the 1 inch going to rub under normal road use? Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
N
I have ordered a JLU Sahara and purchased a set of Rubicon rims from another member of this Forum. My question is this, I am going tube purchasing BFG KO2 tires. The Rubicon comes stock 285/70R17, which are 32.8 inches in diameter according to the BFG website. I know those will fit the stock Sahara. The 285/75R17 are 33.9 inches in diameter and ever so slightly narrower. This is going to be my wife's vehicle, and will see very little, if any off roading. Is the 1 inch going to rub under normal road use? Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
Most likely not. But there is only one way to find out.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
They will be absolutely fine. As FYI, metric tire designations are pretty easy to decipher - assuming you care. Example: 285/75-17

285 is the tread width in mm.

75 is the height of the sidewall expressed as a percentage of treadwidth. 75% of 285mm is 213.75mm

17 is the diameter of the wheel - and the oddball because it is in inches (because that's the way wheel sizes are designated).

Then, computing the diameter is pretty trivial. Diameter = two sidewall heights (converted to inches) + wheel diameter, or;

(2*213.75)/25.4 + 17 = 33.83

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
In case you didn't see this thread:

285/75r17 on Sahara

OP
OP
k9chita

k9chita

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
In case you didn't see this thread:

285/75r17 on Sahara
Thanks! I saw this thread, but my lack of knowledge on the offset of the stock JLUR rims led me to pose the question again. I've had a couple of wranglers before, but never made any modifications. Offset, backpacking....all new to me.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! I saw this thread, but my lack of knowledge on the offset of the stock JLUR rims led me to pose the question again. I've had a couple of wranglers before, but never made any modifications. Offset, backpacking....all new to me.
Yeah. I knew it wasn't a perfect fit but I didn't go through every post. I thought some of it might be relevant.

OP
OP
k9chita

k9chita

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. I knew it wasn't a perfect fit but I didn't go through every post. I thought some of it might be relevant.
I appreciate it. I didn't like seeing the one photo of the rear fender rub. I'm looking into lifts and/or leveling kits that'll hopefully be a fix. All of this is new to me...again, appreciate the help!

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU, Rivian R1S, '99 Cherokee XJ
I appreciate it. I didn't like seeing the one photo of the rear fender rub. I'm looking into lifts and/or leveling kits that'll hopefully be a fix. All of this is new to me...again, appreciate the help!
If you can, get a pic! I'm still looking for a picture of a Sahara JL with the Rubicon stock wheels/KO2 tires. I'm very close to doing the same with my Sahara

OP
OP
k9chita

k9chita

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll have the tires on the rims before the Jeep gets out of “D” into production. I’ll have pics as soon as I take delivery.

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU, Rivian R1S, '99 Cherokee XJ
Made my own pics and posted to another thread but applicable here as well. I think I'm going this route:

Sahara w: Rubicon Wheels:Tires.png

Sahara Rear with Rubicon wheels:tires.png
Sponsored