MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my new tire and rims installed.

Nitto ridge grapplers 285/75r17
MT Sidebiter II 17”x9 -12 offset

They fit great, no issues for clearance in on-road conditions. Will need to put the rubicon fenders on for serious off roading but no lift will be needed for frame or suspension clearance.
9EAE58FC-266A-4535-B454-ED2830DD4358.jpeg
51A91A57-1872-4C66-BBF3-3E3BB1FC3936.jpeg

I’ll get it off-road this weekend and get some pictures.
Sponsored

Les-Boots

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Agreed! Nice looking Jeep! Thanks for sharing

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR

Sponsored

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
How do you think your spare tire carrier and gate door will fare?
x2 could you load some pics of the gate and rear bumper clearance. These 33's only add a few pounds so i doubt it'll be a issue. idk what the stock wheel weight of the 18's are but there is a chance he lost some weight with the new wheels. minimal of course

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
x2 could you load some pics of the gate and rear bumper clearance. These 33's only add a few pounds so i doubt it'll be a issue. idk what the stock wheel weight of the 18's are but there is a chance he lost some weight with the new wheels. minimal of course
Good question, I'll try to remember to take some extra pictures tomorrow. It certainly "feels" fine and not overloaded.

I guess it will be awhile before any of us of us know how the stock carrier is going to hold up.

R2SL%p0eTreKsye1yXDd5g.jpg

FXdA9lZUScWIBi45M+OlYw.jpg

1qi5WN0zTcWYt0xyaXmHMg.jpg

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
His tires are 34" not 33s, and they weight 15 pounds extra each according to the website, not "just a few pounds".

How have you found your performance from the old size to the new, as well as gas mileage differences?

How much is your speedo off by do you estimate?

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you check fender clearance by driving up on something without disconnecting
Sure, I plan on that as soon as I find a suitable rock and will post pictures. It's a Sahara so I won't have the electric sway bar disconnect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
His tires are 34" not 33s, and they weight 15 pounds extra each according to the website, not "just a few pounds".

How have you found your performance from the old size to the new, as well as gas mileage differences?

How much is your speedo off by do you estimate?
Only 800km on the vehicle and only about 60km on the tires so I'll probably never know the difference in gas mileage. It's better that way :)

Seat of the pants performance seems great, it actually seems a bit happier on highway merging. You can feel that the tires are heavier and firmer. I hadn't noticed until I got it that the shop received the E class instead of the C class version of the tire.

As near as I can figure the speedo is bang on. The speed reported by the GPS in the navigation system is the same as that reported by the speedo. Shift points on the transmission seem correct. I'll have to ask the shop if they corrected the speedo. I'll check against the GPS on my phone as well.

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Just got my new tire and rims installed.

Nitto ridge grapplers 285/75r17
MT Sidebiter II 17”x9 -12 offset

They fit great, no issues for clearance in on-road conditions. Will need to put the rubicon fenders on for serious off roading but no lift will be needed for frame or suspension clearance.
9EAE58FC-266A-4535-B454-ED2830DD4358.jpeg
51A91A57-1872-4C66-BBF3-3E3BB1FC3936.jpeg

I’ll get it off-road this weekend and get some pictures.
Looks great! About to do something similar with my Sahara thats inbound.

2 Questions:
1) Why did you go with 285/75-17 instead of 285/70/17 as that seems closer to the circumference of OEM?
2) How did you decide which sidewall pattern to go with?

thanks

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Found a big rock, took some more pictures. That rock is actually bigger than it looks in the pictures the front bumper only just cleared it by an inch or so.

The back tire is stuffed and interfering with the fender but does seems to be on the bump-stop so its probably as bad as it would get in the back. Fortunately the plastic rim on the fender is pliable and no harm was done. Just noticed I went a bit past the top of the rock before stopping so missed a picture of it at the very top. You can see from the picture that the front bump stop has at least 1" maybe 1.5" to go.

There is lots of clearance on the front and could go to the bumper stop easily I think. I didn't find a rock suitable to push it to the limit.

By the way, I'm very impressed that the suspension made no noise at all when flexed. My past vehicles would groan and protest. The Jeep did this without any fuss at all.

Also took some pictures of the tire carrier. In those you can see that the difference the -12 offset makes. I think a +12 offset (about 3.5" backspace on a 9" rim) would be ideal with this size tire and you wouldn't need the Hi-Top fender flares. That or go with a 2" lift.

+39KewzCSq6oQb74J5MG8w.jpg
PjUM4CJgQtC1KJtgKHWpeQ.jpg
xproiDdVS46qG69n7saXgQ.jpg
57ICcLGeTHimKPms03hG3g.jpg
9eUEgPGFREe6DrP2T+Pnlg.jpg
FaB3lmazRcWQyGraJrG%7w.jpg
H35cuebFTf2SggDDOWhD8w.jpg
kSZ9uwGxSyeyrqn3yzdjvQ.jpg
3PqakecuQ5KX5cN5%awkVQ.jpg

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! About to do something similar with my Sahara thats inbound.

2 Questions:
1) Why did you go with 285/75-17 instead of 285/70/17 as that seems closer to the circumference of OEM?
2) How did you decide which sidewall pattern to go with?

thanks
1) I wanted the biggest I figured I could get away with and basically took a chance at 34" and 9" rims with 4.5" backspace. If you look at the extra pictures I took you can see that a 33" tire and a 3.5" backspace rim is probably the smarter choice but I think I am good to go for the driving I plan on doing.

2) Flipped a coin...then the shop managed to put the other side out anyways. I'm told the other side is the more aggressive side?? I consider myself lucky they managed to get all 5 mounted the same way!
Sponsored