KM3 In Snow?

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys,

Went up to Mammoth, CA For the first time last week in my JL. I’m planning to make a few more trips there, some in the snow.
I have ‘19 JL Moab. I’m curious how the km3’s perform in the snow? When they say a “4x4 with snow tires or chains required”, would these tires pass?

your guys experience and input appreciated!
Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
I had KM3s on my 2018 MOAB and they are not good on Snowy Roads from my experience. If your offroad on gravel or dirt roads with snow I beleive they would be much better.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hi guys,

Went up to Mammoth, CA For the first time last week in my JL. I’m planning to make a few more trips there, some in the snow.
I have ‘19 JL Moab. I’m curious how the km3’s perform in the snow? When they say a “4x4 with snow tires or chains required”, would these tires pass?

your guys experience and input appreciated!
I think that means you need a tire with the snowflake symbol or place chains around your existing tire. For example, https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Mud terrains aren't really that great in snow. If you're driving through a couple of inches of virgin snow on gravel, you'll probably do alright. An All Terrain tire would do much better all around in the snow because there is more sniping. A true snow tire like blizaks are best in snow because they have 10x the sniping of an AT tire. Looks for tires with either a snowflake or a mountain with snowflake if you want to get around better in the snow. I personally stay away from chains because they are just a pain in the ass to put on and take off, especially when it's already below freezing with 20 mph winds. And if you don't install them correctly, they can do some exstensive damage to your jeep.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The KM3s will not be good on lightly snow covered roads, and will be downright dangerous on ice.
Once the snow gets around 12" deep, they will do okay, but still not great.

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I think that means you need a tire with the snowflake symbol or place chains around your existing tire. For example, https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac
California is behind the times with respect to what is and is not a snow tire. All the vehicle code says is that a snow tire has a deep and aggressive tread compared to a normal passenger car tire. So yes a KM2 or a KM3 on a jeep wrangler will pass any R2 chain checkpoint. With that said I will agree with everyone else, mud terrains are pretty bad in the snow.

bencardenas12

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
I was just up in Mammoth with my KM3s this past weekend. Had a couple of sketch moments where the tires didn't grip all that well in the village but other than that they did solid. Off roading in the snow they did very good, fresh snow was no issue either. As long as you drive safely (slow stopping/accelerating) and keep a distance between cars you should be fine

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I was just up in Mammoth with my KM3s this past weekend. Had a couple of sketch moments where the tires didn't grip all that well in the village but other than that they did solid. Off roading in the snow they did very good, fresh snow was no issue either. As long as you drive safely (slow stopping/accelerating) and keep a distance between cars you should be fine
Thanks, that's helpful. I'll be sure to go slow.

Did you have to go through any steep incline/decline mountain passes from your route from Sherman Oaks?
Sponsored