Willys tires in the snow....

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
I have been going back and forth between a Willys and a Rubicon.
I really wouldn't use the off road features of the Rubicon, but like the painted fenders and option for leather interior.
I do like the looks of the Willys and have been leaning that way.
How do the Fireston MT's that come on it do on the snow?
Sponsored

jackgraves7

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Tire Rack

According to tire rack they do very well in all conditions. Hope this helps.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you like the MT's but worry about them in the snow, you can find a shop to sipe them. I had this done on two sets of MT's (first gen MTR's and Hankook RT03 MT's) for my TJ. I only did the center lugs as that is what the shop recommended. Since I see a lot of rock crawling, the outer lugs would have a higher tendency to chunk with the outer lugs siped. I never had a loss of a tread block on the center blocks. The first gen MTR's were the worst tire I have ever had for icy/snowy roads, downright scary! After the siping, they were very good and I never worried about loss of traction.

With a good siping, an MT is the best of both worlds. Siping to handle icy/snow packed road, and large voids to handle the deep snow. When my Pats wear out, I will be going with either the KM3, STT Pro, or Trail Grappler and will have the center blocks siped.

Additional siping can also lead to longer tread life, as the sipes can help keep the tread blocks cooler. I was able to get 45k miles out of the MTR's and sold them with 4-5 32nds left.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
If you like the MT's but worry about them in the snow, you can find a shop to sipe them. I had this done on two sets of MT's (first gen MTR's and Hankook RT03 MT's) for my TJ. I only did the center lugs as that is what the shop recommended. Since I see a lot of rock crawling, the outer lugs would have a higher tendency to chunk with the outer lugs siped. I never had a loss of a tread block on the center blocks. The first gen MTR's were the worst tire I have ever had for icy/snowy roads, downright scary! After the siping, they were very good and I never worried about loss of traction.

With a good siping, an MT is the best of both worlds. Siping to handle icy/snow packed road, and large voids to handle the deep snow. When my Pats wear out, I will be going with either the KM3, STT Pro, or Trail Grappler and will have the center blocks siped.

Additional siping can also lead to longer tread life, as the sipes can help keep the tread blocks cooler. I was able to get 45k miles out of the MTR's and sold them with 4-5 32nds left.
I'm not even going to lie, I had to look this up because I had no idea what you were talking about. Good information to know.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The siping does help. That is one reason I went with the Firestone MT2's is that they come with good siping. They are even studdable.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not even going to lie, I had to look this up because I had no idea what you were talking about. Good information to know.
This will more than likely void the tire manufacturers warranty though.
Sponsored