Sponsored

Keyfob now 30% smaller!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I received my model m 4 button fob. I can’t seem to get the rfid chip out. What are you all using to pry it out? I watched the video and I have a pick tool set on order that I hope works but thought I’d poll the group. I’d prefer not to cut if I can avoid that.
@wrigleyville29

The chip as you can see is surrounded by plastic sides.

I find that if I take a very very small blade flat tip screwdriver, I can drive / force it between the chip and one of the longer side walls a bit. Then, you can get in that gap and slowly and carefully pry the chip up. Other guys take a knife blade and cut the side.... that does leave a bit of noticeable damage to the stock fob.

Pic below:

Red arrow points to a very narrow seam/slight gap, between the chip and the side of the enclosure.

Take a very fine tip flat head screwdriver and place it's tip in the seam where the red arrow shows in the pic below.. Now, with a small hammer, tap, tap... gently, the end of the screwdriver and the screwdriver will slowly drive down in between the seam and the chip. The side wall of the chip holder will bow a bit outward.. Now, you will have access to pry the chip out..

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! chi

The chip is quite sturdy and can handle the side pressure when you pry..
Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Got the model S last night. It's really nice. I also have the AJT and this is so much easier to assemble. It would be nice if it had a little weight but it is built very well.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@VerservJL

After dealing with the way heavy in comparison stock and AJT Design fobs, YES, the Model S feels very very light... You will get used to it.....

Yes, Model S is very well built and the quality is there for sure... and the battery and circuit board install is so so easy...

Curious, what color and texture did you go with..

You ain't kidding. I almost shot the AJT fob when trying to install the battery.

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I changed the first fob over to a Model M+ a few days ago, after parsing through this thread, etc. Very nice!! Now I'll do the second one as well, once the parts arrive in the mail. *thumbs up*

The smaller size of the Model M+ will definitely help with carrying it (and the 'switchblade' key) in a waterproof bag during snorkel sessions. The original 'Mega Fob' was really awkward in that respect.

Cheers,
-CM-

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! helo

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! tote-garage

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone here interested in .... waiting on ...... the DI Labs, Model S+ with retractable key?
Way small, many different colors and textures, retractible key, uses stock key pad....

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 2021-06-29 17.16.39

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 2021-06-29 17.16.35

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 2021-06-29 17.16.28

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang it. I am going to end up buying a new fob every few months. That design looks great!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang it. I am going to end up buying a new fob every few months. That design looks great!
@VerservJL

Fortunately, anytime you want to sell your current DI Labs fob, it will undoubtedly sell to someone else for just a few $ less then you paid for it. It will sell easily. So, enjoy your current fob and move on to another when..... 8-)

As for the S+ mentioned earlier.... It is real.... it's in testing ;) ... a real design beauty and very functional. The DI Labs design team, did it right....

Yes, weight of the S+ is a tad more then the Model S, obviously because of the stock key in it.... AND.... actually the added weight of the S+, thanks to the key in it, is appealing to me... and I am sure it will be appealing to other's..

The DI Labs did a terrific job on the Model S+.... as they did on the Model S, M and M+.

@DanW
@CDRMidnight
@Outrun
@crdouglass3

Sponsored

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just got done with mine and watching the instruction video made it a total cake job to switch them over. The only hard part in all honesty was getting the RFID chip out of the factory FOB - took some wiggling using picks, wedges, and really small flat head screwdrivers. Once it was out it popped right into the Threedom FOB.

Only thing I would remind people is to re-use the pin that keeps the key in place in the holder they supply (I bought). I probably overlooked or missed it in the video instructions but overall I would say this new FOB is less than half the weight and size of the factory one. Huge improvement over the factory FOB and worth every cent in my opinion =)

Only con is that now I need to buy one for my wife when her Jeep gets here...

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! IMG_2263

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got done with mine and watching the instruction video made it a total cake job to switch them over. The only hard part in all honesty was getting the RFID chip out of the factory FOB - took some wiggling using picks, wedges, and really small flat head screwdrivers. Once it was out it popped right into the Threedom FOB.

Only thing I would remind people is to re-use the pin that keeps the key in place in the holder they supply (I bought). I probably overlooked or missed it in the video instructions but overall I would say this new FOB is less than half the weight and size of the factory one. Huge improvement over the factory FOB and worth every cent in my opinion =)

Only con is that now I need to buy one for my wife when her Jeep gets here...

IMG_2263.jpeg
@JimmyB

Damn, that Camo Model S, Hex texture, looks great!

Thanks for sharing... YES, with say a bulletin board, push pin, (tiny nail, etc.) push the roll pin out and that frees the key from the stock key holder. Now, stick key in the DI Labs key holder and insert the roll pin into that holder/through the key shank, to secure the key in the DI Labs key holder.

I did this deed, once again last night.... setting up a Model S+ .......I needed another stock key and roll pin for use with the Model S+ ..... The S+ actually holds the stock key in it... the key is retractable.... slick as chitt.. (see pic I posted earlier today in this thread)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Presently testing the beta, Model S+ that holds the key. Here's a pic. (No, that is not my hand)

So far, testing is going aok... a few tweaks needed (minor tweaks) on some things and the Model S+ will be ready for all to buy/enjoy/use... It's very nice, even in the beat form...

OH, also I'm also testing DI Labs door lock covers... TERRIFIC they are. The one shown is quite plain / has tread ... is one but my favorites. Fit and finish is excellent.. Snap on very firmly..

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 20210816_103713

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 20210816_122050

@crdouglass3

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
A bit off topic, but since this is about keys and fobs, I might as well ask you experts here.

I'm curious as to what part of the fob is responsible for permitting proximity entry and push-button start. Is it the RFID chip - the one you have to pry out with some difficulty when doing the keyfob transplant?

Another way to ask this question: If I take out that tiny RFID chip, is it by itself (without the rest of the fob and electronics) sufficient to allow me entry into the vehicle by proximity and start it?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bit off topic, but since this is about keys and fobs, I might as well ask you experts here.

I'm curious as to what part of the fob is responsible for permitting proximity entry and push-button start. Is it the RFID chip - the one you have to pry out with some difficulty when doing the keyfob transplant?

Another way to ask this question: If I take out that tiny RFID chip, is it by itself (without the rest of the fob and electronics) sufficient to allow me entry into the vehicle by proximity and start it?
@rent

The circuit board and battery in the stock fob is all you need to work with a JL that has proximity.... to start it and drive it. The RFID chip does not come into play with proximity.

With just the RFID Chip, no ....you cannot unlock the JL.

An RFID chip hidden in the JL is best ...... for just in case your fob battery ever went dead in the fob, or the circuit board in the fob died, etc.. (rare event) Anyway....You do not need the RFID chip.... only time you need it is if the fob stops working (battery dead or circuit board dies, etc.) and you have to push the chip against the start button while your foot is on the brake pedal to start the JL.

Sponsored