Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see the point. The two-door is what it is, and the four-door is longer. If you need more room, you need a four-door. It's a point of diminishing returns in my mind. I need <100" wheelbase, so increasing the two-door wheelbase to 108" would defeat the purpose for me. If I needed ten more inches of space I wouldn't want to increase the two-door, I would need the four-door, which would accommodate my needs and provide a buffer.

Philosophizing here, but I think we all tend to want more than we need. So, if the two-door was 108" we'd be asking for 112". If it was 90", we'd want 95". I think the current iteration is so close to perfect that Jeep/Stellantis would be chasing something that can't be defined. The perfect length is either different for everyone, or the two-door is the perfect length and "we" always want to change things for the better...but the better doesn't necessarily exist. We want something, but what we need is right in front of us.

If the two-door doesn't have enough cargo space, maybe you're taking too many things. Maybe we would find, as I think many of us often do, a way to fill that space regardless of how much space there was. Many of us fill our spaces, garages, houses, drawers in the nightstand, "junk" drawers in the kitchen; although, what we really need would fit in a backpack. We build spaces we don't use 95% of the time (rooms in our houses that sit empty most of the time), parking lots sized for Black Friday (that sit most empty every other day), etc. So, again, maybe the two-door is the right size, and in my mind it certainly is, and maybe the issue is how we use (without filling) that space. If you fill that space, maybe the answer isn't changing the two-door to accommodate what you bring, but buying the right vehicle for the job, the larger of the two vehicles.
The sad reality is we, collectively, have gained girth and baggage over the past 25 years.

So, while I agree with you, the fact remains that every vehicle has become considerably larger and heavier. Wrangler included.

Jeep Wrangler JL Keeping the 2 Doors Alive 1630001256230

On the positive side, Wrangler was pretty much maxed out at 33 inch tires; now 33 is only the beginning.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I go back and forth. Some days I'm like yep -- would want one, then other days I'm like nope, love it how it is. I think I'd be happy with either as long as it's a two door. But I do think they would sell more if it was longer as OP suggested -- and if that keeps the two door alive, I'm all for it.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
my guess is they just want to sell as many 4 doors as possible.
This helps their fuel economy requirements from a CAFE perspective, doesn't it? CAFE calculates fuel economy goals based on "footprint" which I believe is wheelbase by wheel track expressed as sq ft. The smaller the footprint the higher the fuel economy goal. The intention was to force automakers to push for high fuel economy in their small cars, but what happened was automakers moved to producing larger vehicles. So if I understand this correctly from a CAFE perspective it is better for Jeep to sell more four doors than it is for them to sell 2 doors. I've seen sam reason this given as why it's rare for anyone to produce a 2 door pickup truck. Yes the market demand for 2 doors is generally much smaller, but seems that fuel economy standards may also play into it.

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
We need a JL LJ
JL LJ 1.jpg
This is brilliant. I agree there’s an opportunity here. Would like to see Jeep take a page out of the trucking world and offer an extended cab / access cab option. Could also settle for a two door gladiator with truck cap.

Jeep Wrangler JL Keeping the 2 Doors Alive 1630007054823

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
So, my first Jeep was a 2 JK Rubicon. I miss it all of the time. I absolutely loved that vehicle and for me a Jeep will always be a 2 door vehicle.

The biggest issue with 2 door has always cargo space. Jeep fixed that for 2 yearswith the LJ. But when the JK came out, the behind second row storage was nonexistent. They kept that with the JL.

The new 2 door Bronco has enough space behind the 2nd row to fit an ARB fridge which I think is absolutely perfect.

Will Stellantis do anything to respond or will they eventually just let the 2 door die instead?
Pics of the 2 door Bronco with a fridge?? I haven't seen one in person, but what I'm seeing online looks very similar to my 2 door Rubicon for space.
Jeep Wrangler JL Keeping the 2 Doors Alive 1630008897089

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
This is brilliant. I agree there’s an opportunity here. Would like to see Jeep take a page out of the trucking world and offer an extended cab / access cab option. Could also settle for a two door gladiator with truck cap.

Jeep Wrangler JL Keeping the 2 Doors Alive 1630008897089
I’m not sure they need a 2-door Gladiator. The 4-door one isn’t good at being a pickup truck and isn’t good at being a Jeep. I can’t imagine how useless a 2-door Gladiator would be.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
This helps their fuel economy requirements from a CAFE perspective, doesn't it? CAFE calculates fuel economy goals based on "footprint" which I believe is wheelbase by wheel track expressed as sq ft. The smaller the footprint the higher the fuel economy goal. The intention was to force automakers to push for high fuel economy in their small cars, but what happened was automakers moved to producing larger vehicles. So if I understand this correctly from a CAFE perspective it is better for Jeep to sell more four doors than it is for them to sell 2 doors. I've seen sam reason this given as why it's rare for anyone to produce a 2 door pickup truck. Yes the market demand for 2 doors is generally much smaller, but seems that fuel economy standards may also play into it.
You got it! Most people in North America are completely unaware of how Cafe regulations effect their choice in vehicle availability. I often wonder why not many people are asking why vehicles have gotten bigger over the past 20 to 30 years.

Here's an interesting article that I've posted in other topics on this and other forums. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/

If you or anyone else would like to see the return of smaller vehicles to the North American market, it will take an act from Congress so be sure to contact your representatives to educate them about our stupid CAFE law.

Sponsored

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Oh hell, I'll put my $0.02 out there. My first jeep was a TJ. Absolutely loved it. When I got rid of it, I bought my son a 4 dr JK. He needed the extra room a 2 dr does not have, and I thought he would love it. To him it is OK, but he liked my TJ better. So now I have a new 2 dr on order, and if there is not enough room, whoever does not fit can drive their own vehicle. There is plenty of room for the wife, our dog and myself. That is all the room I need. I am buying it as my retirement gift, so I got it just like I wanted it. In my opinion, I have alway's thought the 2 dr jeep was the most impractical vehicle you could buy. Terrible mileage, not much room, not the most comfortable thing available. So when my friends ask why the hell I would buy one, I just tell them, it is the ONLY 4 wheeled vehicle that makes me smile. Every other car or truck I had, I had so that I would not have to ride my m/c in bad weather. My jeep has been the only vehicle I have taken out of the garage because I love to drive it. I still ride way more miles than I will ever drive in any given year, but at least when I am forced to drive, I enjoy it now.

kw2629

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Been a Jeep owner for years. My 2003 Liberty blew the 4WD at 120K. Went to the dealership for a Wrangler Rubicon and the salesman talked me into a 2016 Cherokee - I don't think he liked Wranglers. Drove it for 5 years and never loved it. Traded it for a loaded 2021 Rubicon in January. Never looked back.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A 911 "Unlimited"
Jeep Wrangler JL Keeping the 2 Doors Alive 1630091533216