millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the tuffy specifically because I can remove the top quickly in case I need to evacuate and get the dogs crate in the back quick. I live in a wildfire area in cali. They got the alpine with sub version in early and have shipped a few dozen out. They will be posting it on their website in the next week or so but you can call and order SKU #351. Hoping to get it and install by the weekend.
Sponsored

Frogsme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara
I ordered the soft top backbone with the special price of $399 over Labor Day weekend and received a call today that they are back ordered for 4-6 week...

Not great news but decided to wait it out. Was a tough choice between Tuffy and the backbone. Just feel that the Tuffy will rattle due to the removable top panel and the back is more semi permanent with less moving pieces.
I got the same call today. I was impressed with the call so decided to wait it out. After the call I did feel like this company cares about their customers, which is a big plus for me.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I ordered the soft top backbone with the special price of $399 over Labor Day weekend and received a call today that they are back ordered for 4-6 week...

Not great news but decided to wait it out. Was a tough choice between Tuffy and the backbone. Just feel that the Tuffy will rattle due to the removable top panel and the back is more semi permanent with less moving pieces.
I ordered on Tuesday. I called today to see if the hard top backbone was back ordered as well. He stated that it wasnā€™t and should have already shipped. FYI: he stated that I would only receive an order confirmation and not a shipping notice.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I pulled the trigger and ordered the backbone yesterday. Quick to install/uninstall, (13 minutes to install on video including his explanations) doesn't rattle, has some nice accessories available. And right now the price is not as difficult. Will post experience when it arrives.
Did yours arrive yet?

whelan007

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara Unlimited
How hard would the backbone be to remove, if you needed to place larger items in the back.

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
How hard would the backbone be to remove, if you needed to place larger items in the back.
Was wondering this. I would love a backbone, but my obsession with home goods would find me removing it a lot to stuff large items in the back.

Last edited:

Warhawk

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLUR
Occupation
Data Engineer / Application Developer
Was wondering this. I would love a backbone, but my obsession with home goods would fine me removing it a lot to stuff large items in the back.
That is honestly why I am waiting for the Bestop Duster Cover. In no way is it secure, but it is ā€œout of sight, out of mindā€. And if I need more space, pull it off, roll it up, and move on. Thatā€™s what I rolled on my JK....and thatā€™s what I will do on the JL when it comes out.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That is honestly why I am waiting for the Bestop Duster Cover. In no way is it secure, but it is ā€œout of sight, out of mindā€. And if I need more space, pull it off, roll it up, and move on. Thatā€™s what I rolled on my JK....and thatā€™s what I will do on the JL when it comes out.
Did you have any problems with wear and tear on the duster? Any problems blowing loose? Also how did it do in the rain? I think the duster will suit my needs, but I donā€™t know anybody who has used one.

Warhawk

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLUR
Occupation
Data Engineer / Application Developer
Did you have any problems with wear and tear on the duster? Any problems blowing loose? Also how did it do in the rain? I think the duster will suit my needs, but I donā€™t know anybody who has used one.
I had one for about 4 years. Had no issues with wear and tear, held up fine. And it was definitely secure. It connected like the soft top windows...even using the tail gate bar. As far as rain, it kept stuff mostly dry, but not completely. Stuff by the rear seats would still get wet. I would usually remove it and put my Trektop NX windows back on when I got the chance during long rains.

(Edit: by ā€œsecureā€, I mean staying in place. Just so no one takes it as ā€œsecurityā€)

Last edited:

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Warhawk; thanks for the info! I think the duster is going to be perfect for me...if theyā€™ll hurry up and release it! Lol!

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Well, this arrived today. :rock: Unfortunately, I got the hard top version, so I canā€™t install it until I decide to put the soft top away for the winter. :crying:
F309E05F-90D5-4878-B137-FCAA658E4E38.jpeg

SWIRVN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (ordered)
Anyone receive their soft top version yet? I ordered mine Labor Day weekend and still donā€™t have it. Last I heard it would be first week of November but not holding my breath...

Just curious about the fit and finish as I am still considering the Tuffy option if this doesnā€™t show up soon.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
They made a slight redesign on the back panel on the soft top version. When they cut the corners to allow for the soft top plastic corners, they lost some structural integrity on that panel. It would have been ok, but they make theirs so strong you can stand on them and they didnā€™t want the soft top version to be any less. So they are adding some support on the back panel. They really care about delivering a quality product. Some great guys to deal with. It is very quick to remove and replace. Great product.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Been digging through the forum this morning. Are there any other rear security products out other than the tuffy security deck made for the JLU?

I see some are using JK vaults in the back but I was looking for options more like the tuffy.
Wait, OP, this wasn't the rear security while topless you were talking about? ;)

diaper.jpg
Sponsored