First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Anyone with the Alpine speaker group have the Backbone? How does it do with the sub?
Sponsored

Kdm6174

First Name
Kym
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have the backbone with the Alpine speaker group and haven’t noticed a difference. All the crap in my cargo area probably impacts sound quality more than the backbone does.

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming the backbone works with the soft top installed up or down? Site doesn't really mention anything about the soft top just the hard...

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming the backbone works with the soft top installed up or down? Site doesn't really mention anything about the soft top just the hard...
Nevermind just went to the main menu and saw a soft top version.

I got the dual top group and would like one security box that works with both. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Nevermind just went to the main menu and saw a soft top version.

I got the dual top group and would like one security box that works with both. Anyone have any suggestions?
This is the exact question I had. Here is the response from Back Bone:

292FD996-4A49-4E02-A24B-8A1B49FCE0FD.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So for this month only at least... the tuffy and backbone are about the same price.

Still having a hard time dropping $400 on these.

Anyone have any other cheaper options out yet?

JL_Hoff

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep SRT, 2011 Jeep JKUR (sold), 2004 Aprilia RST1000
Is the sale for $399? Says it's all of September. Unless I just missed the LDW sale (DOH!)
Yes, the sale price is $399, down from $699. As others have noted this is apparently beyond Labor Day and through the entire month of September.

For those interested in the Backbone, I found a really good video of the installation of the hardtop version. The video shows what looks like a pretty easy install. It also looks to me like a very sturdy high-quality product.

Check it out at

Ed

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have been looking for a solution that allowed me to store some taller gear such as an ARB Fridge on slide. Decks like the Backbone look great and if I didn't have the need for bigger equipment it might be an option. Luckily I found diabolical website via this forum on another thread. I was able to contact them and the JL version is entering production this month so fingers crossed they will be available really soon. Will post picks as soon as I have it.

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Wrangler TJ, 2018 Wrangler JL
What I would really like to see is a simple, lockable replacement for the stock cargo cover. All you would really need is a heavy gauge aluminum plate, a set of heavy duty hinges and some kind of lockable hasp. Probably a DIY project but I'm sure Tuffy could make an easy to install product.

Sponsored

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Does anybody know of the softop windows fit under the backbone when it is installed? I know this is a problem with the Tuffy box.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just watched a video a couple of posts up and answered my own question -- Yup, why wouldn't they? I like this design a lot better than the Tuffy box.

Last edited:

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
I pulled the trigger and ordered the backbone yesterday. Quick to install/uninstall, (13 minutes to install on video including his explanations) doesn't rattle, has some nice accessories available. And right now the price is not as difficult. Will post experience when it arrives.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I pulled the trigger and ordered the backbone yesterday. Quick to install/uninstall, (13 minutes to install on video including his explanations) doesn't rattle, has some nice accessories available. And right now the price is not as difficult. Will post experience when it arrives.
I am close to pulling the trigger. I sent an email asking if they will include, with the hard top version, the rear portion for the soft top kit at an additional charge since I will be switching tops out.

JL_Hoff

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep SRT, 2011 Jeep JKUR (sold), 2004 Aprilia RST1000
I am close to pulling the trigger. I sent an email asking if they will include, with the hard top version, the rear portion for the soft top kit at an additional charge since I will be switching tops out.
I have talked to Max at JeepBackbone and he said they will sell you the soft-top rear deck for $199. I pulled the trigger last week for the hardtop version and it is supposed to be delivered this week. I will post picks.

SWIRVN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (ordered)
I ordered the soft top backbone with the special price of $399 over Labor Day weekend and received a call today that they are back ordered for 4-6 week...

Not great news but decided to wait it out. Was a tough choice between Tuffy and the backbone. Just feel that the Tuffy will rattle due to the removable top panel and the back is more semi permanent with less moving pieces.
Sponsored