Sponsored

JLU pulling a travel trailer? No problem!

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just picked up this unit this week i have a curt WD hitch. I hope it tows fine.

IMG_0774.JPG
If the rig is set up properly it should tow fine. I would suggest you have the receiver strengthened to handle the torque of the WD hitch. I have had Can-Am RV in London ON set up and fine tune our rig with this modification. Give Andy Thompson a call.
Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Update- took her out for the weekend. Several big pulls on I79 in WV, I had to go down to 3rd gear a few times, but there was plenty of power there(60ish), The back roads were cake and it pulled really well overall. I did keep it 5-10mph under in most places.
Never heated up or had any other problems.
I will say thought that I definitely knew it was back there and kept that in my mind trying to limit any potential problems.

F4D46AFE-D812-4C85-A7BF-5DFC0D3AAE54.jpeg

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
The only limitation on the wrangler is the wheel base it’s just too small a vehicle to tow those big weights but the powertrain is there.
Wrangler Unlimited wheelbase is longer than GC (and has been since 2007) and within 1.5 inches of a new Durango. The Durango can tow up to 8500 lb and the GC up 7200. Wheelbase is not the limiting factor.

Sponsored

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the towing club. I went the same route as you with adding majority of the towing package. I am using the curt Brake Controller that was recommended and love it.

BAD4D566-174E-4E2E-8D99-35F48FA54E30.jpeg

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Camping earlier this week. Towed excellent plenty of power and no sway issues. I used trailer brakes via curt echo Bluetooth controller. Worked very well. I added the curt hitch and 7 pin wiring to Jeep.

03F6B7F3-A1B4-4A8E-AC5F-A49D7AB60380.jpeg

Metrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 HellaYella JLU Rubicon
Here is what I’ve been towing with a WD hitch and brake controller. Haven’t been in the mountains with it, yet.

This thread is really killing my justification for buying a gladiator. Hope the wife doesn’t read it...

215C80E0-E309-4A34-9AE9-B8EB8E88EA95.jpeg

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
We bought and pulled a new Forest River R-POD 179 this weekend. I wanted to share this for those on the fence about buying or towing anything with alot of weight with a JLU. A few notables here:

1. The Wrangler tow capacity with 3500lbs.

2. The R-Pod is 2600lbs (dry weight).

3. I have a class 3 Curt hitch. (You can use class 2 but your square receiver will only be about 1 1/4 compared to the 2 inch that the class 3 is, but I got a good deal on a price match for a class 3)

4. We installed a weight distribution hitch for 2 reasons.
A. The Jeep doesn't 'sag' or go into a "V" when hooking up the RV. It stays pretty much even with the trailer.
B. The trailer stays in ONE place directly behind the Jeep without going all over the road.

5. I installed the "autowbrake" (spelled just like if you want to Google it) its wireless and installed on the trailer and NOT inside you jeep cab. This thing is awesome! Took about 20 min to install and calibrate.

upload_2019-5-30_14-56-12.png

I will admit, driving in the Smoky Mountains (there are some STEEP grades) I had my doubts for sure. The jeep never ever complained and the 8 speed auto trans was an absolute beast. It shifted when it was supposed to (no high revving for a long time) and the temperature stayed the same through out.

My gas mileage was about 20 MPG unhitched to 13.5 MPG hitched.

The jeep and its capabilities have totally won me over this weekend and for those wondering to get an RV, do it! (I was almost about to get a truck just for pulling because of the worries)

20190526200431_IMG_0538.JPG

Here you can see that the weight distro hitch keeping things even (and again, no swaying on the roads)

IMG_0264.jpg
I have to admit, I'm very jealous haha. The wife and I have been talking about getting one for years now......which is one of the reasons I bought the Jeep in the first place.
How do you like the camper itself?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I have to admit, I'm very jealous haha. The wife and I have been talking about getting one for years now......which is one of the reasons I bought the Jeep in the first place.
How do you like the camper itself?
The camper is flat out awesome. I will say that I've change the mattress out to a custom one (It seems most people that buy RV's change the mattress from the stock to something MORE comfortable. Other than that, it's 100% perfect and I would buy it again in a second. I highly recommend and the little one loves it more than our real house, lol.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
The camper is flat out awesome. I will say that I've change the mattress out to a custom one (It seems most people that buy RV's change the mattress from the stock to something MORE comfortable. Other than that, it's 100% perfect and I would buy it again in a second. I highly recommend and the little one loves it more than our real house, lol.
What he said, take the plunge the waters nice!

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at a travel trailer every since I got my Jeep. Thanks to most everyone here we are starting to narrow it down and leaning toward the Salem FSX 200RK. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2019-Forest-River-Salem-FSX-200RK-5003745108

I liked the E-Pro but the shower is too small (or I'm too large). R-Pod is a very great second option for us, we just like the layout of the bed (access to both sides). A lot of great information on brake receivers and weight distribution hitches.

We spend a great deal of time in the Smoky Mountains and can't wait to get camping.

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I've been looking at a travel trailer every since I got my Jeep. Thanks to most everyone here we are starting to narrow it down and leaning toward the Salem FSX 200RK. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2019-Forest-River-Salem-FSX-200RK-5003745108

I liked the E-Pro but the shower is too small (or I'm too large). R-Pod is a very great second option for us, we just like the layout of the bed (access to both sides). A lot of great information on brake receivers and weight distribution hitches.

We spend a great deal of time in the Smoky Mountains and can't wait to get camping.
Wow, that's a great price for that. 22 foot is a little longer then what I'm looking for, trying to keep it under 20 if possible
Sponsored