Sponsored

JLU pulling a travel trailer? No problem!

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I can sort of second this. We have an Rpod 182G, and I was able to tow it a short distance just fine without a WDH or brake controller using the factory tow package on our JLUR. I didn’t go far and wasn’t on any major roads, but I’d be willing to give it a real go with the hitch and controller. For reference, we have a ‘15 GC with the 3.6 and 8sp AT that towed this trailer 3,600 miles with no issues. The tow rating for that Jeep is 6,200 lbs though. Mileage was similar to what the OP got.

89A2C7CB-4C97-4E9C-8814-F283ED946F30.jpeg

Nice trailer man..I put our RDome up for the first time. Super useful!
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Not sure if I missed anyone pulling this trailer, but has anyone tried out or looked at the Flagstaff 21 FBRS? It really looks like a nice functional design. Seems perfect for pulling with a Jeep Wrangler except the empty weight is almost 4200 pounds. Hitch weight is 410. I’ll bet if they made it without the slide out (which I would love) it would be right in the ballpark.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/flagstaff-micro-lite/21FBRS/894

That thing is way too heavy. You're gonna be well over 5000 pounds by the time you get it loaded up.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
We’re now looking at an Rpod 180. Just a tad bigger. The dry weight is 2650 and the hitch weight is 320. I like your setup. Thanks for the brake controller link.

We bought and pulled a new Forest River R-POD 179 this weekend. I wanted to share this for those on the fence about buying or towing anything with alot of weight with a JLU. A few notables here:

1. The Wrangler tow capacity with 3500lbs.

2. The R-Pod is 2600lbs (dry weight).

3. I have a class 3 Curt hitch. (You can use class 2 but your square receiver will only be about 1 1/4 compared to the 2 inch that the class 3 is, but I got a good deal on a price match for a class 3)

4. We installed a weight distribution hitch for 2 reasons.
A. The Jeep doesn't 'sag' or go into a "V" when hooking up the RV. It stays pretty much even with the trailer.
B. The trailer stays in ONE place directly behind the Jeep without going all over the road.

5. I installed the "autowbrake" (spelled just like if you want to Google it) its wireless and installed on the trailer and NOT inside you jeep cab. This thing is awesome! Took about 20 min to install and calibrate.

upload_2019-5-30_14-56-12.png

I will admit, driving in the Smoky Mountains (there are some STEEP grades) I had my doubts for sure. The jeep never ever complained and the 8 speed auto trans was an absolute beast. It shifted when it was supposed to (no high revving for a long time) and the temperature stayed the same through out.

My gas mileage was about 20 MPG unhitched to 13.5 MPG hitched.

The jeep and its capabilities have totally won me over this weekend and for those wondering to get an RV, do it! (I was almost about to get a truck just for pulling because of the worries)

20190526200431_IMG_0538.JPG

Here you can see that the weight distro hitch keeping things even (and again, no swaying on the roads)

IMG_0264.jpg

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
You have the best powertrain combination that Jeep makes for towing, so it’s no surprise that it’s towing pretty good. The combination you have is it the only combination available in the Gladiator with the max tow package. And is also available in the ram full-size pick up 1500. They do not offer the 2.0 in either vehicle for a reason. And they already told us that the gas will out of the diesel. I love my new JL 3.6 with the eight speed smooth awesome power the transmission is great. The only limitation on the wrangler is the wheel base it’s just too small a vehicle to tow those big weights but the powertrain is there.

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rescue Green, 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
Thank you Goheels050917. I have a JLUR 3.6L auto with the Tow/HD electrical package. Been eyeing a NuCamp T@B 400 teardrop - 2690 lbs. I live at about 7000 feet elevation and go even higher up into the mountains to camp often. I'm a bit timid, and don't want to "be that guy" that is going 15 mph up a hill with 20 angry drivers behind me. Your info (and the Brake Controller) give me more confidence this can be done safely. :sun:

Sponsored

nh4x4jeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That's just a SWEET, SWEET sight!!!! All the best to you and your new rigs!!! Cheers to many happy days on the road. One day... :)

I have had the Equalizer for 20 yrs on a full size truck and trailer and I really couldn't recommend it more highly! It's a given. It does what it's supposed to do and does it very well!

My trailer is a Forest River too and I've loved having this trailer! We even toured their facilities where they build them.. THAT was fun!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
We bought and pulled a new Forest River R-POD 179 this weekend. I wanted to share this for those on the fence about buying or towing anything with alot of weight with a JLU. A few notables here:

1. The Wrangler tow capacity with 3500lbs.

2. The R-Pod is 2600lbs (dry weight).

3. I have a class 3 Curt hitch. (You can use class 2 but your square receiver will only be about 1 1/4 compared to the 2 inch that the class 3 is, but I got a good deal on a price match for a class 3)

4. We installed a weight distribution hitch for 2 reasons.
A. The Jeep doesn't 'sag' or go into a "V" when hooking up the RV. It stays pretty much even with the trailer.
B. The trailer stays in ONE place directly behind the Jeep without going all over the road.

5. I installed the "autowbrake" (spelled just like if you want to Google it) its wireless and installed on the trailer and NOT inside you jeep cab. This thing is awesome! Took about 20 min to install and calibrate.

upload_2019-5-30_14-56-12.png

I will admit, driving in the Smoky Mountains (there are some STEEP grades) I had my doubts for sure. The jeep never ever complained and the 8 speed auto trans was an absolute beast. It shifted when it was supposed to (no high revving for a long time) and the temperature stayed the same through out.

My gas mileage was about 20 MPG unhitched to 13.5 MPG hitched.

The jeep and its capabilities have totally won me over this weekend and for those wondering to get an RV, do it! (I was almost about to get a truck just for pulling because of the worries)

20190526200431_IMG_0538.JPG

Here you can see that the weight distro hitch keeping things even (and again, no swaying on the roads)

IMG_0264.jpg
Hey, fellow NC'r here. We were just up there this past weekend. We ran Hurricane Creek and then hiked Max Patch as well as some time on the BRP. Where abouts were you?

OP
OP
Goheels050917

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Hey, fellow NC'r here. We were just up there this past weekend. We ran Hurricane Creek and then hiked Max Patch as well as some time on the BRP. Where abouts were you?
We are near Chapel Hill. Nice to meet ya!

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
My original plan was to flat-tow the JL behind a Class C. So, I purchased the JL first and while looking at Class C's found that they make Travel Trailers light enough to be towed by the JL. This was a much better fit for how the wife and I camp. I did not want a slide, but I did want a couch, no dinette as the only seating. The wife wanted a big bathroom. The Hummingbird 16MRB checked all of our boxes. The murphy-bed saves sooo much space and it is very, very easy to setup and comfortable. Biggest chore was installing the Mopar trailer wiring harness (didn't need this when the plan was to tow behind the Class C) so I had to add it and the Mopar hitch $$. It wasn't too bad, but this was my first crack at removing interior trim panels. I also installed rear air bags, Andersen weight distributing hitch and the kewlest Curt Echo Mobile brake controller. Just got back from our maiden voyage, a 7-night 700 mile round trip from Eastern Kentucky to Nashville, TN with stops at Boonesboro State Park and Dale Hollow State Park. JL handled the Hummingbird very well. CAT Certified weights: Frt Axle-2160#, Rr Axle-2600#, Hummingbird Axle-2720#. Weights are with full propane, full fresh water, empty grey and black water, and a full gas tank. Then we loaded chairs, grill, groceries and all the other camping gear...probably another 250#. Engine temp and trans temp stayed right where they normally were, transmission shifts were spot on, some of the longer uphills the JL shifted to 4th and about 4k on the tach kept us at 65mph but this was rare. We averaged 14.4 mph which I thought was outstanding. Only semi-white-knuckle was in some 30mph crosswinds, but the Andersen WDH kept the Hummingbird on track. I also am one of those fortunate JL owners that had experienced the steering-wobble (death-wobble is just too dramatic) but after the third steering stabilizer the problem hasn't resurfaced. We stayed four days at the KOA close to the Gaylord in Nashville in their premier spots next to $500k and $600k 50' motorhomes and I didn't once feel intimidated. Looking forward to next trip...this month to New England.
Jeep at Boonesboro.jpg

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Plan or no plan , for safety and protecting your investment long term you should have bought a Jeep with the factory tow package if you’re going to tow near the limit with a travel trailer of that size. Don’t forget that fact and blame jeep if you have issues. There’s a lot more to the towing package than a hitch and some wiring. You saved a ton of money not buying that expensive class C, you should have spent some of the money and purchased the proper jeep for towing.

Sponsored

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
Okay, educate me. Factory tow package includes the same wiring harness I purchased from Mopar, the same hitch I purchased from Mopar, 240 Amp alternator, 700 amp battery and aux switches. I really don't see how an alternator, battery and a couple of switches would make my investment safer and more protected. And, I'm 740# under GVRW, 540# under Frt Axle weight, 400# under Rr Axle weight and 780# under camper axle weight. And I blamed no one for any issues, I said the JL performed great, power was more than adequate, engine and trans temps performed flawlessly. All three steering stabilizers were replaced under warranty before I ever purchased the camper. If I have missed something that makes this setup unsafe or a potential investment killer...again, please educate me.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
You don’t need to convince me , or listen to Jeep the people who built your Jeep who say you need the tow package. Jeep already has your money and I ordered my jeep properly with the tow package so neither of us really care about your jeep without the tow package.
There are many differences in a tow vs non tow jeep. The cooling and another example is the rear axle when you order the factory trailer tow package it comes with heavier duty gear oil 75W/140 full synthetic gear oil.
You can do some forum searching this topic has been beat to death as there really is no way to properly add the tow package after the fact.
Again no need to argue with me, if you fry your jeep you’ll have to argue with jeep or get out your wallet neither of which affect me.
Good luck in your towing adventures, just remember don’t blame jeep , blame yourself when you come here to complain later.

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
So Jeep is a highly modifiable vehicle. You can add larger tires, beefier axles, winches, bumpers, tops, tents, and a plethora of other items...but it impossible to add additional cooling and heavier diff lub? I read these forums to gain knowledge not to argue with anyone. My request to be educated was sincere. The cooling and the diff lub are good things to know. However, I would have thought that I could have added the items necessary to this highly modifiable vehicle, but I find "there really is no way to properly add the tow package after the fact." Thanks for the valuable information...I guess my plan has changed once again. I'll be selling my camping trailer and purchasing a Class C to tow the JL. Any information you can give me as to why I can't tow the JL behind a Class C would be very much appreciated.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
My original plan was to flat-tow the JL behind a Class C. So, I purchased the JL first and while looking at Class C's found that they make Travel Trailers light enough to be towed by the JL. This was a much better fit for how the wife and I camp. I did not want a slide, but I did want a couch, no dinette as the only seating. The wife wanted a big bathroom. The Hummingbird 16MRB checked all of our boxes. The murphy-bed saves sooo much space and it is very, very easy to setup and comfortable. Biggest chore was installing the Mopar trailer wiring harness (didn't need this when the plan was to tow behind the Class C) so I had to add it and the Mopar hitch $$. It wasn't too bad, but this was my first crack at removing interior trim panels. I also installed rear air bags, Andersen weight distributing hitch and the kewlest Curt Echo Mobile brake controller. Just got back from our maiden voyage, a 7-night 700 mile round trip from Eastern Kentucky to Nashville, TN with stops at Boonesboro State Park and Dale Hollow State Park. JL handled the Hummingbird very well. CAT Certified weights: Frt Axle-2160#, Rr Axle-2600#, Hummingbird Axle-2720#. Weights are with full propane, full fresh water, empty grey and black water, and a full gas tank. Then we loaded chairs, grill, groceries and all the other camping gear...probably another 250#. Engine temp and trans temp stayed right where they normally were, transmission shifts were spot on, some of the longer uphills the JL shifted to 4th and about 4k on the tach kept us at 65mph but this was rare. We averaged 14.4 mph which I thought was outstanding. Only semi-white-knuckle was in some 30mph crosswinds, but the Andersen WDH kept the Hummingbird on track. I also am one of those fortunate JL owners that had experienced the steering-wobble (death-wobble is just too dramatic) but after the third steering stabilizer the problem hasn't resurfaced. We stayed four days at the KOA close to the Gaylord in Nashville in their premier spots next to $500k and $600k 50' motorhomes and I didn't once feel intimidated. Looking forward to next trip...this month to New England.
Jeep at Boonesboro.jpg
14.4mpg average is super impressive!

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
The 14.4 mpg was the computer's number for just that 700 mile trip...I don't know how accurate it is. I did not measure the fuel I used and divided by the miles, so this was not a scientific test just the computer read out. I did, however, use Premium gas for the trip just to avoid any potential detonation/spark knock on long uphills, this may have given me a small mpg boost.
Sponsored