JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?!

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTDHA
Hey guys I own a 2021 JLUR with leather seats and all the options, including cold weather package.
My understanding is that most of you are quite confident in your ability to complete the heated seating portion of the project but are concerned about whether the heated seats will work if the heated steering wheel isnā€™t installed.
I am willing to help you guys with this issue. If you tell me which connector from the ā€˜heated seat moduleā€™ goes to the heated steering wheel, I am willing to disconnect it and leave the heated seats connectors intact and then test the system to see if the heated seats work or if I get some sort of error as a lot of you are wondering about.
Is the heated steering wheel connected to the same module as the heated seats or does it connect to a totally different module? If so, youā€™d need to tell me the location of that other module as I only know where my ā€˜heated seat moduleā€™ is located.

I can also try to help in other ways by producing some photographs and such.
David, would take a picture of the large connector under the seat. Im looking for the wires I'm missing in my connector, just one more piece of the puzzle!
Sponsored

Jsmeltz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I also have been looking into this. My Rubicon seems to have all the parts and I am more concerned with the heated seats. The heated steering wheel seems to need more research. I have purchased a control panel with the heated seats buttons but there is to no power to them. I do have the fuses installed and when I plugged in the new control panel everything works but heated seats and steering wheel. Do any of you know if the dealer can program this in and the power will be at the buttons?
I'm reading your post. Don't know if you did this yet, but you must make sure that the fuses have bus bars on both sides. Also, you must go under the hood to your relays and make sure that you have your seat and steering heat relays. Even if they're not there, you should at least have the slots for them. You must make sure all contacts are there (Hot, ground, accessory, feeder to the circuit). You must have the full fuse and relay contacts in place then you know for sure that the connectors are on the main harness. You may still need some jumper harnesses for the accessories for your control modules and other parts (Seat elements, steering wheel, etc...).

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
David, would take a picture of the large connector under the seat. Im looking for the wires I'm missing in my connector, just one more piece of the puzzle!
Yes Iā€™ll send photos of under both front seats asap. I was asked for photos months ago on this thread and I never followed through! Apologies to those members!

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The following photos are all of the driverā€™s seat taken from the front of the seat looking towards the back of the car:
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! E36F09D7-50B2-4508-A325-88EBF192E946
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! 2BAC96BA-C8A4-4547-9274-E6CDB862F9F7
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! E2F327FF-4598-47ED-9277-B38937E002D8
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! 4326097B-E4CE-4968-89AC-22D91F474AA4
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! 5AA1B337-5CA4-408C-9179-7CDFD12015A2

Ignore the red LEDā€™s as that is just an ambient lighting system I fabricated for my Jeep.

I have not given it a detailed look but it appears that there are at least five connectors/connections:
-one large connector toward the front of the seat, I believe this is where the heated seat wires connect to.
-a small yellow 2-wire connector near the large one (which is most likely for the side airbag activation).
- a black 6-wire connector connected to a small black device with part number 68403128AA which is a part of a larger module with the clear hose connected to the large white plastic under the seat cushion. This system is the weight sensor for the airbag to activate when someone its sitting on the seat and also for the seatbelt chime if a passenger is sitting down but not wearing their belt. After looking up the part number, I got the name ā€œOccupant Classification Moduleā€
- a black-to-yellow 5-wire connector that continues up into the seat cushion area as far as I can see/tell.
- a grey-to-black 4-wire connector which I have no idea what is for

If you spot anything else in the photos that are of worth, please let us know!

Here are five more photos of the passenger seat, again taken from the front looking towards the back:
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! 68A6B78F-4A46-407A-A82A-8CCD020FA313
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! 7640B802-CD56-4D9D-AC14-E214FFB06158
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! 7D7DF5D3-0F51-4182-A88A-3E13FF6D983F
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! A154272E-D1D0-4416-8097-92610599C83A

The following photo is on the passenger seat taken from the back of the seat facing the front of the car, this is where that elusive grey-to-black connector can be seen on the far left:
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! B76CA8FE-1DF9-4587-BF4F-29853AA0890B

i donā€™t notice any major differences between the two seats.

I hope this helps! Let me know is thereā€™s anything more specific youā€™d like to see.

Last edited:

Maischjr

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, Saab
Thanks for all of this information. I also asked the dealer if I could add the factory seat heaters and they told me that my harness would not support it. So I purchased an aftermarket seat heater set and was going to install it. When tracing which fuse to tap into, I discovered that I have the fuses install in the seat heater spots (in the fuse box). And when turning on the ignition, there is power to these fuses. This led me to research the wiring diagram and eventually to this post. I did trace the wires to the harness connection under the seats, but obviously I did not have power there.

I hope one of you figure this out before I drill holes in my center console for the aftermarket switches.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks for all of this information. I also asked the dealer if I could add the factory seat heaters and they told me that my harness would not support it. So I purchased an aftermarket seat heater set and was going to install it. When tracing which fuse to tap into, I discovered that I have the fuses install in the seat heater spots (in the fuse box). And when turning on the ignition, there is power to these fuses. This led me to research the wiring diagram and eventually to this post. I did trace the wires to the harness connection under the seats, but obviously I did not have power there.

I hope one of you figure this out before I drill holes in my center console for the aftermarket switches.
There was no power in those wires because the heated seats werenā€™t activated. Beside all the wires, you still need to somehow activate it in uConnect so the heated seat buttons will show in the Controls app in uConnect.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! 2A3D4B35-6C01-4C8F-8414-7D9382A67C07

As long as this is somehow achieved, the physical buttons will not even be necessary as you can turn them on and off from that Controls app so you wonā€™t have to replace the HVAC cluster with one that has the heated seat buttons.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Alright, I did a quick inspection of my own. Based on @DavidArmen 's pictures-My Jeep has all the same connections. there is literally no visible difference.
I've got 19 Rubi w/V6 Manual Trans, Leather, Trailer Tow/ Aux, LED package, and the 7" UConnect. I'm going to say I'm 95% sure I have the heated seat hookups. I'm guessing just need the panel and the code to be turned on in the computer. I Just have to check behind the dash, but I'm pretty sure the module is there too.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Alright, I did a quick inspection of my own. Based on @DavidArmen 's pictures-My Jeep has all the same connections. there is literally no visible difference.
I've got 19 Rubi w/V6 Manual Trans, Leather, Trailer Tow/ Aux, LED package, and the 7" UConnect. I'm going to say I'm 95% sure I have the heated seat hookups. I'm guessing just need the panel and the code to be turned on in the computer. I Just have to check behind the dash, but I'm pretty sure the module is there too.
The main problem is the wiring harness in the dash. Plus I thing heated seats go together with heated steering wheel, and adding heated steering wheel is even more interesting than heated seats.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
coming back to this again as i have a bit of free time:
Went to Jeep.com, built a Rubi identical to mine. Clicked the "cold weather group". I was not met with any warnings or "Must add ____ option group". I remember toying with it when I was ordering back in late 2018 and didn't get any messages. I'm guessing this means that at least some of the infrastructure is already there, being a Rubicon w/ Leather and some other stuff, with the underseat connections matching the pictures posted and having the fuses labeled and in the box under the hood.
I reviewed the picture of the module under the dash. Going to check in the morning when I get home from work.

Maischjr

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, Saab
I decided not to waste anymore time, so I installed aftermarket seat heaters. I can
There was no power in those wires because the heated seats werenā€™t activated. Beside all the wires, you still need to somehow activate it in uConnect so the heated seat buttons will show in the Controls app in uConnect.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU HEATED SEATS MODULE?!?! 2A3D4B35-6C01-4C8F-8414-7D9382A67C07

As long as this is somehow achieved, the physical buttons will not even be necessary as you can turn them on and off from that Controls app so you wonā€™t have to replace the HVAC cluster with one that has the heated seat buttons.
I finally installed the aftermarket seat heaters (they work great). I can always replace them with the factory setup, if/when the time comes to replace them. Or I figure out how to bypass the factory settings. The dealership was of no help in trying to figure out if my 7" Uconnect was able to operate the switch without changing the climate control panel. I guess my Jeep was an odd build (not my choice).

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Follow up:
I pulled off the panel and looked around inside. No heater module behind my dash. I didn't even see the connections there for one. So I'm guessing that if anything, it's the seats and that's it. I may come back to this at a later time and try to figure some stuff out but for now, it's not really important enough for me to put it on the list, and I don't want aftermarket.

93civEJ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
anyone figure out how to get factory working yet?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
anyone figure out how to get factory working yet?
TL;DR: Not yet, exactly. It seems pretty dependent based on whatever packages you got. I believe the general consensus is if you don't have the module behind the dash, you don't have the wiring harnesses needed to support factory plug and play. It would be really costly to buy and rerun the wiring harnesses, so at that point, you might be better off going aftermarket.

I know a few guys got the panel hooked up and it worked, and I know a few others had the module but it didn't have anything hooked up to it. Likewise- It seems the heated seats are tied in to the heated steering wheel, and it is not known if the seats will work without changing out the steering wheel- Which, I'm sure you can guess, will be a MASSIVE pain in the ass.

I'd like to do more research, but I haven't had much of a chance. If anyone else knows better, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
scottedontknow

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
You can turn on the heated seat via Jscan. The issues is the canbus connected and where everything goes. I wish I was able to look at totaled JLU with the cold weather package and see everything exactly

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You can turn on the heated seat via Jscan. The issues is the canbus connected and where everything goes. I wish I was able to look at totaled JLU with the cold weather package and see everything exactly
Good to know. Any further update on whether the seats will work without the heated steering wheel?
Sponsored