Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
A bigger engine is great, but give me a plug in electric any day of the week and I'll eat ICE's for lunch like I already do with my Tesla P100D. Once you go electric there is no going back. Can't come fast enough.
You obviously haven't driven a Nissan Leaf... not every electric car is like a Tesla... most are slow and are actually reliable :)
Sponsored

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ-2A, 2021 4xe, few Teslas & Ferraris
You obviously haven't driven a Nissan Leaf... not every electric car is like a Tesla... most are slow and are actually reliable :)
I have a BMW i8 and had an i3 before the Teslas, but I disagree, battery technology is leaping ahead very quickly and at a minimum, a PHEV hybrid like the i8 application is a perfect fit for a wrangler. Torque down low, plenty of power, and super efficiency. And for the 90%+ that just do normal commuting with a wrangler, performance on road is still also desired.

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ-2A, 2021 4xe, few Teslas & Ferraris
You on the right Forum?
Fairly certain I am. What's the point of an LS3 in a Wrangler? Performance. Oh...Right. What does electric know about that?

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Fairly certain I am. What's the point of an LS3 in a Wrangler? Performance.
Nah, the point is the NOISE. And I know you understand, because you own a V12 Ferrari.

You don't want to go fast in a vehicle engineered for off-road articulation at the expense of roadholding, anyway.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
One issue that an electric Jeep would have is what do you do about recharging when you're doing something like a week in the wilderness, or even a couple days? The other issue is supporting the masses if they all went to electric. The "grid" would be overloaded. Almost 2/3 rds of electricity is currently produced by burning fossil fuels. That isn't exactly "zero emissions". At this point, electrics are still a novelty feel-good thing, IMO. I'm sure it will evolve.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I mean I'm all for electric cars and I am a big Tesla fan, but what a disaster they would be in Jeeps with current technology. Maybe for the people who only use them casually and don't wheel them it may be an option, but given the power requirements after adding weight, bigger tires, etc electric power makes zero sense in this application.
Tesla is hurting financially, it's execution on product going to market hasnt been up to snuff. I want to be a fan of electric and I keep hearing how the tech on it is going to be there some day and soon but it hasnt happened yet. And yes if one uses a jeep for its intended purpose electric is pretty stupid.

I ride dirt bikes too and would LOVE to go electric. Running out of gas does happen on occasion and is a PITA. With electric multiply PITA many times over. A jeep will be the same and probably worse.

The tech has got to change dramatically for me to consider battery power. It's a shame too since there is a lot I like about it and I mean that in a non-eco-nutzy kind of way. lol

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Tesla is hurting financially, it's execution on product going to market hasnt been up to snuff. I want to be a fan of electric and I keep hearing how the tech on it is going to be there some day and soon but it hasnt happened yet. And yes if one uses a jeep for its intended purpose electric is pretty stupid.

I ride dirt bikes too and would LOVE to go electric. Running out of gas does happen on occasion and is a PITA. With electric multiply PITA many times over. A jeep will be the same and probably worse.

The tech has got to change dramatically for me to consider battery power. It's a shame too since there is a lot I like about it and I mean that in a non-eco-nutzy kind of way. lol
Tesla will be bankrupt inside 18 months if not bought out and some stability of management brought in. Too bad as they have been a visionary in the market; but Elon just not the guy able to pivot from visionary to growth position.

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I've seen a few of these conversions online and I'm always surprised by the price. I'd think it'd be $10k to have a shop install an LS3 and they'd get the 3.6L Pentastar out of it maybe. Maybe I'm a cheap ass.
I feel the same! I'd give Jeep 15K over the asking price for the most loaded Rubicon they build if it came with a factory installed 5.7 Hemi, but I just can't see dropping $25-30K for an aftermarket builder to put one in.

Taxman7885

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC 2500HD, 2018 HD Sport glide, 2018 Oreion Reeper, 2018 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I have already asked Dan at Dakota Customs about JL in Manual 6.4Hemi, he said YES they are working on both Auto and Manual Hemi Conversion kits, same as they did for the JK i.e. Auto or Manual option. A Manual Hemi is the way to go!
Any update? Their website doesn't have the option from the looks of it.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Remember, "fast chargers" take 30-45 mins and only charge you to 80%

I'll stick with proven technology, not a gimmicky niche

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I would take the Ls3 over Hellkitty engine any day.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
I feel the same! I'd give Jeep 15K over the asking price for the most loaded Rubicon they build if it came with a factory installed 5.7 Hemi, but I just can't see dropping $25-30K for an aftermarket builder to put one in.
Me too. Factory V8 with warranty please.