JL Wrangler Engine Swap - V8 LS3 Crate Engine

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some issues with a factory V8 might be CAFE, fuel tank capacity, driveline durability, cooling capacity, weight & balance. I think the whole power issue might be more likely addressed down the road in the Gladiator, since it is a higher GVW and tow weight rated vehicle. I'm guessing something like a displacement increase on the Pentastar platform would be an option.
Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, previous: 1978 Jeep CJ7, 1975 FJ-40, 2008 Audi RS4
If you could get a Wrangler with a factory V8 sales would go through the roof! Its a shame Jeep (FCA) doesn't have a "smallish" V8, like the Chevy EcoTec 5.3, which is a push-rod design that is reliable, and it is smaller and lighter than the 5.7 Hemi. It would fit easily in the engine bay, and have a lower center of gravity than the Hemi. Its also got plenty of power (355 hp, 383 lbâ‹…ft of torque). Not as strong as the 5.7 or as torquey as the 3.0 Eco-diesel, but - in my opinion - great for a Wrangler running 33-37 inch tires. Nice flat torque curve, easy to modulate the throttle off-road... But not gonna happen. However, I heard from two guys who work at my local dealer that Jeep is testing a gas-powered turbo 6. They didn't say if it was the 3.6 Pentastar, or something smaller. I know some folks are going to want documentation on that claim, but I don't have it - sorry. I'm just honestly reporting what I was told by two guys (one in sales, one in service) who I wheeled with a while back; neither have a reason to make up stories. Personally, I'd rather have a gas V8, but a gas-powered turbo 6 from the factory is better for a lot of users than the factory diesel. But... we know that a gas turbo 6 is not coming in 2020, and the diesel is.