Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Holy cow, angry emoji included this time. What's got you all worked up?
This info has. I almost killed a kitten over it:headbang:. The " expensive" part tossed my bird. I have been dreaming of this truck for many years and now it looks out of reach, and practicality for my needs. I may have to settle for a JL and the dam thing doesn't even come with crappy designed straps to hold the windshield down.:( SORRY. Carry on.

https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/...id-2019-will-be-intentionally-expensive.2675/

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
This info has. I almost killed a kitten over it:headbang:. The " expensive" part tossed my bird. I have been dreaming of this truck for many years and now it looks out of reach, and practicality for my needs. I may have to settle for a JL and the dam thing doesn't even come with crappy designed straps to hold the windshield down.:( SORRY. Carry on.

https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/...id-2019-will-be-intentionally-expensive.2675/
There’s an M715 for sale in the Cleveland area... ragtop Jeep truck, what more can you ask for?

But yeah, that is a bummer. I’ve been considering whether the JT would make a good future purchase for towing a travel trailer, but between the apparent 4-door only decision and the decision to price artificially high I suspect I’ll take a different approach.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
:headbang:... :( SORRY. Carry on.
Feel better? Apology accepted. Yes, lets carry on. OP please keep us informed with what you find out.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
There’s an M715 for sale in the Cleveland area... ragtop Jeep truck, what more can you ask for?

But yeah, that is a bummer. I’ve been considering whether the JT would make a good future purchase for towing a travel trailer, but between the apparent 4-door only decision and the decision to price artificially high I suspect I’ll take a different approach.
I hope your not selling you M715 in order to afford a JT and drive it past my house honking the horn and laughing at me. That is not a very nice thing to do>

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I hope your not selling you M715 in order to afford a JT and drive it past my house honking the horn and laughing at me. That is not a very nice thing to do>
Ha, no, I’m in Indianapolis, but I was considering checking it out last weekend since I was in Sandusky. If I had an M715 I’d almost certainly never let it go.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
The least of witch is a set of $29 tie downs that I would not trust over 10 MPH on a breezy day.
Either way I don’t really think it’s necessarily the greatest design and maybe aftermarket comes up with different cheaper solutions.
How y'all figure these are a poor design? Or aren't good? You haven't even tried them. Save your unsubstantiated speculation until the latter proves true.
If you dont think or trust that Jeep field tested these, why even buy a Wrangler then?

They look great to me. This probably isn't the cheap Velcro on your grandads Walmart kicks. NASA uses it, but you dont want to trust it to clamp the windscreen? You want a cheaper option than $30? lol. Have fun with cheap results.

Once the Velcro is pulled taut and wrapped around the footman, there will be ZERO play and the windshield will have absolutely no vertical movement. Maybe you guys cant visualize it because you haven't used it enough. But I have and can. This is the best option IMO to fasten the windscreen. The two footman loops at the outside are far superior to the antiquated single foot located middle, that has been standard going all the way back.

Last edited:

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I think the attachments are clearly inconvenient if you don’t have something designed for it. Hell, I can use a shoestring in a pinch for my LJ. But I always carry small bungee cords and Dera-ties in particular work very well.

(Update: I should say “more inconvenient”. It may turn out that the windshield attachment isn’t all that awkward and it’s still not that hard to use a small bungee cord, e.g.)

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'd be worried the metal hooks will scratch the paint on the windshield frame, but hey it's a Jeep. Who cares.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Here’s what I do today. Very happy with the color match and tautness and scratchlessness.

(And utter simplicity)

D2181889-3B66-454C-A425-7913D1A50DF4.png

Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
How y'all figure these are a poor design? Or aren't good? You haven't even tried them. Save your unsubstantiated speculation until the latter proves true.
If you dont think or trust that Jeep field tested these, why even buy a Wrangler then?

They look great to me. This probably isn't the cheap Velcro on your grandads Walmart kicks. NASA uses it, but you dont want to trust it to clamp the windscreen? You want a cheaper option than $30? lol. Have fun with cheap results.

Once the Velcro is pulled taut and wrapped around the footman, there will be ZERO play and the windshield will have absolutely no vertical movement. Maybe you guys cant visualize it because you haven't used it enough. But I have and can. This is the best option IMO to fasten the windscreen. The two footman loops at the outside are far superior to the antiquated single foot located middle, that has been standard going all the way back.
I work with Velcro cable ties a lot and I know that they can get worn out after a while. $30 is pretty cheap but knowing the aftermarket they tend to come up with different solutions that also tend to be cheaper (Let’s say $15-$25). I’m interested to see what kind of Velcro it is, but it’s still different from a clamp, buckle, or even cinch style that I think could prove to be more sturdy in its hold with a smaller chance of slipping/coming undone.
I attached the link of the video and you can see at 3:50 how they’re applied.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept

I have spent many years securing items down on a trailer, and equipment. It is not the velcro I have a problem with. I am holding my winch control box onto my bumper right now with velcro. Although I do agree that it will wear out with use.

The problem I have is the hook end. Unless you can put tension on that hook like a ratchet strap does is no good as a secure tie down. When the windshield bounces with lack of tension to hold it down the hooks can come free. I would prefer a rubberized eyelet that I can securely fasten to the existing bolt hole that holds the windshield upright.

Why not just use two rubberized eyelets attached to a industrial flex cord? That should last longer and be much more secure than a hook and some velcro.

As far as zero play after pulling them taut all I have to say is hood shutter.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
If you are referring to the velcro straps to secure the folding windshield to the hood, not sure those are included with your Jeep.

They are listed in the Mopar catalog as P/N 82215717 for $29, which leads me to believe they have to be purchased as an accessory item.
OK yes that what I was taking about. Cheap enough, but really should be there with the vehicle.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
It's really not a big deal, more of a curiosity, before I make my own, which, it sounds like may be a better option....

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
This is why they make bailing wire and duct tape...

Also why I can't have nice things...
Sponsored