Sponsored

JL windshield hook location

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
How about this for a thought. They actually provide the tools and instruction sheet necessary to lower the windshield, but not the hooks to secure it once it's lowered. Seems like they should provide all or nothing.
The T40 included also does the door check bolts. I'd bargain the 15mm socket for the wiper bolts also has other uses.

Yeah you'd think they SHOULD include it all. I'm just trying to provide a manufactures perspective where everything revolves around a dollar.
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I'd be fine with no strap if they hadn't made it harder in that one regard than previous generations. They made huge strides with this: obviously it's dramatically easier to lower than the JKs, and it's easier than TJs, plus removing the windshield entirely is now a practical option.

I'm thrilled with everything else, I just wish they hadn't taken a step backwards at the same time.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
We still don't have confirmation if they are included or not.
True, but we have more indications that they're not included than that they are, and even if they are, there's still the underlying problem that they (or something else less trivial than a simple tie-down) are required.

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
At the 2:39 mark of this video he says "Additionally you get two tie down brackets..." implying they are provided.

I'd go so far as to say he does more than imply it. Starting at 2:18 he talks about the toolkit that you get, and then at 2:39 references the tie downs. It would make absolutely no sense to include the toolkit, which surely costs more to produce than the tiedowns, and then not include the tie-downs.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Except they're larger than the toolkit, so they definitely don't fit inside.

Also, notice the instruction cheat sheet shortly before that (with a non-functional URL, oddly) shows the purposes to which you can apply the tools in the toolkit, including dropping the windshield, but doesn't illustrate the tie downs.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Mopar makes tons of parts. Do you expect them all to come with your JL?
What percentage of Wrangler owners do you think actually put the windshield down?
Has a Jeep ever come factory with windscreen straps?
My YJ did.
While I honestly don't know the answer to the percentage question, who cares? How many never take off the hard top or doors, yet the tool kit to do so is included. I would expect them to be included. They specifically designed the windshield to lay flat easily. I think the OP will find that the dealer accidentally tossed/removed them or they're in the vehicle somewhere.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I'd go so far as to say he does more than imply it. Starting at 2:18 he talks about the toolkit that you get, and then at 2:39 references the tie downs. It would make absolutely no sense to include the toolkit, which surely costs more to produce than the tiedowns, and then not include the tie-downs.
Good find. Yeah I thought I remember seeing a video where he says something along the lines of the tie downs were included.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
The tie downs are not included. You know how I figured this on out? Because they are not included in any of the actual JL's on the lots, or being delivered. If a guy in a video told you they came with a jeep sweater and they did not would you cry about it?

There was a lots of speculations at launch. The least of witch is a set of $29 tie downs that I would not trust over 10 MPH on a breezy day.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Good find. Yeah I thought I remember seeing a video where he says something along the lines of the tie downs were included.
Do these guys work for FCA? If not they do not represent FCA and what they imply has no bering on weather or not the straps come with the JL or not. If you are not happy that the straps are not included, and feel they misrepresented that take it up with them. Maybe they will send you a set of straps to make up for there mistake.

Sponsored

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
The tie downs are not included. You know how I figured this on out? Because they are not included in any of the actual JL's on the lots, or being delivered. If a guy in a video told you they came with a jeep sweater and they did not would you cry about it?

There was a lots of speculations at launch. The least of witch is a set of $29 tie downs that I would not trust over 10 MPH on a breezy day.
Wow. As long as it doesn't turn out to be an early delivered vehicle mistake, anyone who intends to put the windshield down should just add this to their purchase negotiation with the dealer.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Either way I don’t really think it’s necessarily the greatest design and maybe aftermarket comes up with different cheaper solutions.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Do these guys work for FCA? If not they do not represent FCA and what they imply has no bering on weather or not the straps come with the JL or not. If you are not happy that the straps are not included, and feel they misrepresented that take it up with them. Maybe they will send you a set of straps to make up for there mistake.
umm ok. No need to get all worked up about it. I just glanced at the video posted. My mistake. I was referring to Mark Allen saying the straps are included in a video.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Wow. As long as it doesn't turn out to be an early delivered vehicle mistake, anyone who intends to put the windshield down should just add this to their purchase negotiation with the dealer.
May as well toss in that free sweatshirt while your at it:angry: