Sponsored

JL Rubicon on Method Wheels...let's see em!

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
2.5" front - I was teetering on two wheels because the dirt was all wallowed out, there's still room in the front. The bumps are just touching and didn't squish the squishy thing (my mind is gone and I can't think of the technical term lol). someone was playing a bit so it wasn't really a fair assessment. I only ran up the ramp to see where I was rubbing in the rear but took it until it got tippy - I wasn't about to push it too far.
Ahh ok
Sponsored

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What's with those 2 lower gaps?
It is so you can have access to the valve stem on the one side and replicated on the other side to make sure it stays balanced.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Method 702 with Milestar MT 38/13.50/17. 2.5" Teraflex lift with 3.3 falcon shocks. AAL Highline Fender chop.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon on Method Wheels...let's see em! IMG_1671 2

Looks good...bear in mind, if you wheel your jeep and get flexy, 38s on a 17x8.5 wheel with 4.75 backspacing will rub quite a bit with swaybar disconnected. My methods with same specs on 37x12.50 milestars rub inner liners flexing and turning a little. Need 4.5 backspacing with 37s and prob closer to 4.0 backspacing to clear 38s.

flight4f

First Name
MATT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP JL RUBICON
Looks good...bear in mind, if you wheel your jeep and get flexy, 38s on a 17x8.5 wheel with 4.75 backspacing will rub quite a bit with swaybar disconnected. My methods with same specs on 37x12.50 milestars rub inner liners flexing and turning a little. Need 4.5 backspacing with 37s and prob closer to 4.0 backspacing to clear 38s.
With the AAL fender chop and the stock rear bumper gone and my bump stops set correctly I have no rubbing issues with this setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon on Method Wheels...let's see em! 9840FE11-4BAA-4192-B6C4-C659C8469438

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane

Adjust your steering stops by adding a washer to each one. You won't rub when steering anymore.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
With the AAL fender chop and the stock rear bumper gone and my bump stops set correctly I have no rubbing issues with this setup.
9840FE11-4BAA-4192-B6C4-C659C8469438.jpeg
Been deep down this path running 2 bumpstops and 1 bumpstop flexing on a forklift and offroad with 2.5" lift, fender chop on 37s with a 17x8.5 with 4.7 backspacing and a 17x9 beadlock with 3.5 backspacing. Flexing with a forklift/ramp with your wheels straight isnt what I'm talking about. Your pic is simply showing droop with tires straight. Tires clear fine doing that. I'm talking about flexing your jeep with driver side front tire tucked up and then turning passenger or the same on the passenger side. It rubs the inner fender before you get to full lock with 37s. You'll definitely see it with 38s if you wheel it and flex it and turn a decent amount.

Way of life on youtube has excellent videos from last year where he tested clearances on 37s with kmc 17x8.5 wheels with 4.75 backspacing. He ended up adding a 1.75" wheel spacer to add clearance.

My results were the same as him. Another buddy of mine had the same spec wheels with 38s and also added a wheel spacer to push the wheels out for clearance. That's partly why Metalcloak and Rock Krawler recommend 4.5 backspacing or less with 37s and even less backspacing for bigger tires.

I didn't turn full lock wheelin obstacles in pics below and still rubbed the powder coat off my inner liners. Not a big deal...but I wish I had a little less backspacing than 4.75 running 37s.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon on Method Wheels...let's see em! Hacl7yb
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon on Method Wheels...let's see em! WLp5lql

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Rubicon on Method Wheels...let's see em! WSBuDtu

Last edited:

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
I love your wheels / rims ! I have a 2020 Sahara and would like to know your wheels . Not sure if that’s taboo.... but will you share ?
thanks. The wheels are Method 309 Grid in titanium with black ring. Size is 17x8.5. The tires are Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Sponsored

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
@ChattVol You are the only person I have seen really mention backspacing when it comes to turning and flexing. You have sent me down a rabbit hole and conundrum I didn't want lol. Why is it all the wheels I love are >4.5 Backspacing?! Everything I have known has been avoid spacers...but damnit I want to run Method MR305s and 37/38s with a 3.5" MC GC...now I feel more confused on what to do...

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I did full flex this morning, up against the bump stops. I didn't rub anywhere. Maybe luck of the draw? Who knows?

37's and 2.5" spacer lift. Maybe some that are using spring lifts aren't getting the lift they are assuming??

20200803_091349.jpg

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
@ChattVol You are the only person I have seen really mention backspacing when it comes to turning and flexing. You have sent me down a rabbit hole and conundrum I didn't want lol. Why is it all the wheels I love are >4.5 Backspacing?! Everything I have known has been avoid spacers...but damnit I want to run Method MR305s and 37/38s with a 3.5" MC GC...now I feel more confused on what to do...
For more evidence of clearance issues wheelin 37x12.50 on 17x8.5 wheels with 4.75 backspacing, see link below with full flex pics from riding yesterday. I'm running 2" bumpstops and front shocks that extend to 29" and rear to 31". I'm convinced slowly flexing on a ramp/forklift isn't the same as real life wheelin in offcamber situations with faster compression and weight more unevenly distributed. The axle shifts more when wheelin IF you're shocks allow alot of droop. With the Metalcloak Gamechanger 3.5, I would definitely get wheels with less backspacing than 4.75 if you're gonna wheel it. I've talked with Metalcloak and RK about this and have seen these lifts wheelin. Metalcloak shock relocation mounts require 4.5 backspacing or less. My buddy had that lift with 17x9 with 4.75 backspaced wheels and didn't use the shock relo brackets in the front and his shocks were hitting the frame near full droop.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/billet-stallion-sport-s-full-d44-swap.19973/page-18

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For more evidence of clearance issues wheelin 37x12.50 on 17x8.5 wheels with 4.75 backspacing, see link below with full flex pics from riding yesterday. I'm running 2" bumpstops and front shocks that extend to 29" and rear to 31". I'm convinced slowly flexing on a ramp/forklift isn't the same as real life wheelin in offcamber situations with faster compression and weight more unevenly distributed. The axle shifts more when wheelin IF you're shocks allow alot of droop. With the Metalcloak Gamechanger 3.5, I would definitely get wheels with less backspacing than 4.75 if you're gonna wheel it. I've talked with Metalcloak and RK about this and have seen these lifts wheelin. Metalcloak shock relocation mounts require 4.5 backspacing or less. My buddy had that lift with 17x9 with 4.75 backspaced wheels and didn't use the shock relo brackets in the front and his shocks were hitting the frame near full droop.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/billet-stallion-sport-s-full-d44-swap.19973/page-18
Oof. I definitely plan on wheeling my JLUR once it gets its lift. So it seems like the trick is finding a wheel with a big negative offset, that seems to correlate to a lower backspacing. Anything closer to a neutral offset tends to have too much backspacing. That is not lending to a lot of positive options that fit my liking. I appreciate the knowledge, because you're absolutely right with real world flex vs forklift. This threw a big wrench in the plans...

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Oof. I definitely plan on wheeling my JLUR once it gets its lift. So it seems like the trick is finding a wheel with a big negative offset, that seems to correlate to a lower backspacing. Anything closer to a neutral offset tends to have too much backspacing. That is not lending to a lot of positive options that fit my liking. I appreciate the knowledge, because you're absolutely right with real world flex vs forklift. This threw a big wrench in the plans...
I highly recommend you call Metalcloak to discuss what they recommend...they are very helpful. With 37s, 17x9 wheels with backspacing of 4.5 is a common size with lots of options. With 38s, I'd go backspacing of 4.0 or less if you're gonna legit wheel it. Most go to 3.5 backspacing at 38s and larger if you want room for big flex.(unless you have wider aftermarket axles)
Sponsored

Last edited: