Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I am not getting stuck on that discussion. I have sold cars to dealers in the past; KBB was right on the mark.

My question is if it is worth doing it.

My best friend just told me to keep the Jeep; to make it worth my time I'd have to be without a Jeep for a year.

Can I live without a Jeep that long? If past behavior is any indication: I cannot.

Besides, as the weather warms up, opportunities for hitting the trails only increase.
I would agree with your friend. Unless you just want to sell the Jeep to make some cash. If your Jeep has not had any *(major) problems, you have a gem. Do not sell it. Keep it! I wouldn't sell my Jeep right now. Probably because I don't want o haggle for another new car.... ha ha. Things will change in a couple of years but right now is not a good time to buy anything.
Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I DECIDED TO KEEP MY JEEP.

Although I donā€™t drive it much these days, it is pretty much paid for, and itā€™s been pretty trouble-free.

Itā€™s hard to find those two traits on a new one.
End of thread

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt
Accepted Vroom offer yesterday for my 2019 Rubicon for $53,135. I paid $47k in December of 2018 and plan to re-order a 2022 with a couple different options and maybe a different color.
So how did the Vroom thing work. I submitted my 2018 with 8000 miles on it and the offer was 51,500. That is more than the sticker price in 2018. I'm selling my 2014 Chevy Volt tomorrow, for more than Vroom or Carvanna offered. I've been looking at the 4xe, but the dealer here is not willing to move on price. Thinking of perhaps ordering one, but taking the money while it is there. My wife just wants me to buy it, but when Vroom is offering that much, they have my attention. Oh and the dealer where I test drove the 4xe says he has never heard of Vroom, lol.

Ocog2181

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370z
The Semiconductor shortage is far from over. China is throttling the supply. It will take years for foundries to be built here in the states.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
KBB estimates my JLUR 2018 at about 47k with 18k miles. That's nuts considering it sold this time last year for 34k

I'd like to say I've found a scenario where it makes sense to get rid of it, but there isn't one. Sure, I could strip the aftermarket mods, but I'd still play a loosing game at the end of the day with current prices.

I will sleep well knowing that, for the time being, if I need to get out of the payments; then I can probably do so easily.
This wonā€™t last forever - the bottom will fall out by end of Q4 into Q1 2022. Dealers are already lowering trade values by the week based on data, so they donā€™t get stuck with high inventory costs as the market starts adjusting. It will be slow back down, but itā€™s coming.

No different than housing markets.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Waiting for my JLR 2dr, but will be trading my 2016 Willys Wheeler with 43k miles on it for $24k. The dealer used KBB. I checked KBB last November and it was $21k back then. The trade in value increase was a definite push towards the new JL
Check your value on Givemethevin.com before you do this. They gave me the highest trade value for buying it outright. Just ran out of time and did the Carvana deal.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
If you sell high, you'll have to buy high.

If you barely drive it, it's an option. However, make sure you end with another vehicle you like, if any vehicle is needed.

carpendj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2019 GMC Sierra AT4
Hoping one of you try out Vroom and report back. I have heard nothing but great reports about Carvana but have heard the opposite about Vroom. Did any of you see the mess that TFL truck had to deal with?

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Vroom made me an offer I couldnā€™t refuse at $54K on my 1.5 year old Rubi. Thats more than I paid for it.

A week before, Carmax was $49K, Carvana was $50K and Vroom was $49.5K. I redid them a week later and Vroom went up to $54K and Carvana down to $46K. Dealer I talked to said to take the money and run!

So Iā€™m going to take their cash (hope itā€™s a smooth process), and buy a 4xe Rubi. With the tax and other credits it costs less to buy than a new gas Rubi out of the gate. And dealers definitely are discounting them - go take a look at the 4xe forum area.

so I got paid to drive a jeep for a year and a half, and now get to try the new 4xe at a lower price!

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
One possibly sneaky thing for folks who are leasing with positive equity and trying to get that equity by selling to Vroom or Carvana:

There are two types of payoff quotes; Dealer payoff and customer payoff and they are not always equal! The lender will usually only tell the dealer (Vroom or Carvana) the dealer payoff, while you can request the customer payoff... The dealer payoff may be more, or may be less than the customer payoff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hoping one of you try out Vroom and report back. I have heard nothing but great reports about Carvana but have heard the opposite about Vroom. Did any of you see the mess that TFL truck had to deal with?
Yes, saw this.

My Carvana experience was not good. They couldnā€™t find my payment for 10 days. I did an electronic transfer, so my situation wasnā€™t nearly as nail biting as TFLs. Still, they didnā€™t know where my money went, so I ended undoing the deal.

Luckily, a couple weeks later I found a new JL with everything I wanted for only a few thousand more. So everything worked out in the end.

But after my experience, itā€™s going to take a lot to get me to try to buy from either Carvana or Vroom again.

Selling is a different story.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Vroom made me an offer I couldnā€™t refuse at $54K on my 1.5 year old Rubi. Thats more than I paid for it.

A week before, Carmax was $49K, Carvana was $50K and Vroom was $49.5K. I redid them a week later and Vroom went up to $54K and Carvana down to $46K. Dealer I talked to said to take the money and run!

So Iā€™m going to take their cash (hope itā€™s a smooth process), and buy a 4xe Rubi. With the tax and other credits it costs less to buy than a new gas Rubi out of the gate. And dealers definitely are discounting them - go take a look at the 4xe forum area.

so I got paid to drive a jeep for a year and a half, and now get to try the new 4xe at a lower price!
There are no discounts on 4xes around here. They are all at MSRP or above.

Thereā€™s a dealer south of here that has 10 4xes on the lot; thereā€™s a $5,000 markup on every one.

Pffft...they can keep ā€˜em.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI

Thereā€™s a dealer south of here that has 10 4xes on the lot; thereā€™s a $5,000 markup on every one.

Thereā€™s a dealer in Washington doing 6.5% under invoice, no questions asked

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI

there is a whole section of the forum you should check out here just on the 4xe:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/4xe-plug-in-hybrid-electric-phev-wrangler.40/

and hereā€™s the dealer I noted, assuming you are in Washington state:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/california-4xe-ordering.67026/post-1488403

i hope he is near you, I wish he was closer to me!

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
there is a whole section of the forum you should check out here just on the 4xe:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/4xe-plug-in-hybrid-electric-phev-wrangler.40/

and hereā€™s the dealer I noted, assuming you are in Washington state:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/california-4xe-ordering.67026/post-1488403

i hope he is near you, I wish he was closer to me!
Thank you for link. That is about 260 miles away, which ainā€™t bad.

Bud Clary has two locations. One has three 4xes at full MSRP. The other location has one Sahara 4xe listed for 6% off MSRP.

The dealer website doesnā€™t let you explore the exact options or check the window sticker. They want me to call to ā€œfind out more.ā€ I am not going to do that.

From what I can tell, that 4xe is missing some must-have options, like Cold Weather Group, and perhaps other as well.

I donā€™t normally see Bud Clary advertising good prices; must be a customer order that fell through.
Sponsored