Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It's nice to know your vehicle is wort more than you said for it. With that being said $5-$10K is not big money in today's economy. Certainly not to sell unless it's a needless item in your quiver.
If I sold my JL right now I could probably walk away with $25,000 after I pay off the loan.

But your point remains: $25,000 still leaves a big outstanding balance on a new $60,000 vehicle, plus tax & license.
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I agree, the KBB trade-in value of my dad's CR-V is 20,500. The best an actual dealer would offer us on trade is 18K. While it is nice to see the number on a website, it is a different thing to get a dealer to actually pay it without making it up on the vehicle that they're selling you.

I figure that KBB is just meant to drive dealer traffic. KBB is "free", a friend of mine told me "if you don't pay for the product, you ARE the product".
KBB is just an estimate. Dealers will give you in trade roughly what they can buy same car at the auction for. Why would they pay you more than they can get similar vehicles for at the auction? Of course right now everything is crazy and supplies are tight but still a thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
KBB is just an estimate. Dealers will give you in trade roughly what they can buy same car at the auction for. Why would they pay you more than they can get similar vehicles for at the auction? Of course right now everything is crazy and supplies are tight but still a thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.
That’s true. In fairness KBB was under priced somehow last time for me ( dec 2020 ). The dealer said they can’t find anything at auctions anymore.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I am not getting stuck on that discussion. I have sold cars to dealers in the past; KBB was right on the mark.
The keyword of your reply was "the past". We live in different times now, I've ran KBB in the past and got 1K over and took 20% off MSRP. We live in silly times right now, drive dealer traffic and generate revenue.

I'm actually helping my elderly father buy a car, we pulled into a dealership full of cars and nobody wanted to play dice. Given the free money from the Fed, dealerships are sitting on stacks of used cars. My dad even said, "They have a lot of cars here". KBB drives traffic for the dealership, and the Fed keeps holding a big inventory cheap. Hard to work a deal these days.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Right - but if they were smart and bought new from some of the dealers on this forum, they probably didn't pay MSRP - more like $52 - $53K. So they drove a car free for a while and made money on it ;)
I know but they aren’t budging on prices much now which is the point I was alluding to. That and I still financed as new. Even if the market wasn’t where it is, it’s still a “good” price according to KBB for whatever that’s worth. There wasn’t hardly anything to pick from around here and I drove only 2 hrs to a small town to get it.

The only option, oddly, this JLUR didn’t have was proximity locks. It even has Sahara side steps which sold the wife a little more being we have little kids still. Otherwise, perfectly optioned for us.

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
This is funny, I just checked the other day after hearing stories on used car prices, I could get almost 5K more than I paid for my used JLUR with 12K miles with a cash now option and have been deleting dozens of emails since looking to follow up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I know but they aren’t budging on prices much now which is the point I was alluding to. That and I still financed as new. Even if the market wasn’t where it is, it’s still a “good” price adjusting to KBB for whatever that’s worth. There wasn’t hardly anything to pick from around here and I drive only 1.5 hrs to a small town to get it.

The only option, oddly, this JLUR didn’t have was proximity locks. It even has Sahara side steps which sold the wife a little more being we have little kids still. Otherwise, perfectly optioned for us.
Correct. Even Dennis Dillon Jeep, in Boise, which is the price leader west of the Rockies, is discounting less right now than it usually does.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The keyword of your reply was "the past". We live in different times now, I've ran KBB in the past and got 1K over and took 20% off MSRP. We live in silly times right now, drive dealer traffic and generate revenue.

I'm actually helping my elderly father buy a car, we pulled into a dealership full of cars and nobody wanted to play dice. Given the free money from the Fed, dealerships are sitting on stacks of used cars. My dad even said, "They have a lot of cars here". KBB drives traffic for the dealership, and the Fed keeps holding a big inventory cheap. Hard to work a deal these days.
Dunno where you get your information from. There’s a well documented shortage of new and used inventory right now.

DougM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander
Try Carvana first, they offer above KBB.
My 3 year old 2 Door manual Willys trade in value at local dealer was about $2k less than what I paid. New JL purchase price was comparable to some of the high volume dealers...

Kicker was my neighbor said (day after everything signed and delivered) to check Carvana—I entered old VIN for grins and found I left about $1k on the table.....

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Kelly Blue Book says my 2018 Sahara with every major option on it and only 6,200 miles is worth $45,000 to a dealer. I paid $38,000 four months before the pandemic hit.

I added about $3,500 in Katzkin leather seats and a Mopar lift.

I barely drive it. I am tempted to get the cash and run. Perhaps wait a few months for the market to cool off and see what else to get.

I still have the OE wheels and front bumper. I may swap the Quadratec wheels and steel bumper and sell them separately. I never got around to installing the winch.

Thoughts?
Take the money and run!!!

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
KBB estimates my JLUR 2018 at about 47k with 18k miles. That's nuts considering it sold this time last year for 34k

I'd like to say I've found a scenario where it makes sense to get rid of it, but there isn't one. Sure, I could strip the aftermarket mods, but I'd still play a loosing game at the end of the day with current prices.

I will sleep well knowing that, for the time being, if I need to get out of the payments; then I can probably do so easily.
Sponsored