JL Order - % under MSRP

howardw1976

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looking to place an order for a new JL. Dealer is quoting 8% under MSRP. Is this a fair quote?

Howard
Sponsored

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Looking to place an order for a new JL. Dealer is quoting 8% under MSRP. Is this a fair quote?

Howard
Looks great on the surface, but what are the tax title license and doc fees? Any other charges like prep fees, etc? Does it require you finance through them?

AriesAngelAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Be careful of dealer pricing. I waited 6 weeks and my Jeep finally arrived at dealership. After reviewing my pre sales agreement before going in I noticed something very shady with the numbers. The dealer had listed vehicle with a MSRP of $49105 and said it excluded shipping and fees. The actual build was $49855 which includes destination fee of 1445. I didn't catch it when I signed the agreement because I was never given the build sheet prior. Anyways to make a long story short I canceled and have another order in with a different dealer. On the flip side, I'm saving an additional 2300.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Meanwhile, I have very unresponsive dealers in my area; I've emailed three on trying to discuss pricing and place an order.

Hopefully my region isn't full of "MSRP or nothing" dealers. I also don't want to drive to Idaho for an order.

Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Meanwhile, I have very unresponsive dealers in my area; I've emailed three on trying to discuss pricing and place an order.

Hopefully my region isn't full of "MSRP or nothing" dealers. I also don't want to drive to Idaho for an order.
Funny...got an oil change on my JKUR not long ago and was perusing the lot. They had a JLUR that fit about exactly what I'd want. Pulled it up on usaa and looked at it...which sent an email. I got a call before I left the lot (after already telling someone that came out to greet me I was just checking things out while I got my oil changed...not that they knew I was the same person obviously). Told them I was holding to see the diesel...got harrassed for a few weeks after almost daily. Their web prices are all listed at 10% below MSRP with no negotiation...so assume could get a bit better.

Interesting how different dealers can be...:)

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Funny...got an oil change on my JKUR not long ago and was perusing the lot. They had a JLUR that fit about exactly what I'd want. Pulled it up on usaa and looked at it...which sent an email. I got a call before I left the lot (after already telling someone that came out to greet me I was just checking things out while I got my oil changed...not that they knew I was the same person obviously). Told them I was holding to see the diesel...got harrassed for a few weeks after almost daily. Their web prices are all listed at 10% below MSRP with no negotiation...so assume could get a bit better.

Interesting how different dealers can be...:)
There is indeed one large dealer in my area that straight up advertises below-msrp JL prices

they ordered a base 2 door for dealer stock, too, which must mean they're pretty cool!

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
A lot of folks here are getting their Wrangler at 6% under invoice, which translates into roughly 12% under msrp.

So 10% under msrp isn't bad, but you could probably do better.

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
Call Kent at Peterson Auto Group in Nampa ID. If you're willing to travel he has the best price I've seen. Great to work with!

Contact
Kent- [email protected]
208-741-1289

That's funny. I live near Boise. I really thought my Peterson sales guy did a great job. And, I was set to order from him.

I went to Dennis Dillon to see a Rubicon that was sold. I knew I couldn't drive it or sit in it. But, I wanted to see it. DD gave me a good price without asking. 'Let me print a build sheet for you.' He said. 'Ok. But just so we both know, I'm not spending all day here...' Build sheet came back with a bid discount.

I followed up with Peterson the next day and I was told 'I'm not playing their game.' I explained that I would like to purchase from Peterson and asked what they could do. MSRP was the answer.

I ordered the next day through Dennis Dillon (~7k cheaper with FCA financing). They ultimately did a great job and I received exactly what was promised.

I did get a quote from Koons before I stumbled upon DD. They were nice to deal with, but I was probably never going to drive the Jeep from VA. Just, as I assume, you're not coming to ID .

I would have paid 8% under MSRP to purchase from my original sales guy. He put all the work in. 2% difference @ 40k is $800.

I'm not rich, but I would have a hard time driving across state lines to save $800.

Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I can't figure out what number to use when negotiating 5% off invoice, FWP, FFP, EP or Other? See attached example, also what is this document called?
Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 4.31.46 PM.png

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I can't figure out what number to use when negotiating 5% off invoice, FWP, FFP, EP or Other? See attached example, also what is this document called?
Hi Friend , the stealers words are foul-breath scams . Dealer makes about 20% of msrp , so they are not giving up much when they negotiate . If you can get 10% off msrp , then they are still making 10% , which is fair for everyone . And 8% off msrp is also fair , but advantage to stealer . 10% off msrp is a 50-50 split .

But most stealers don't want to give up anything . Dennis Dillon is the best , actually ; but driving back from Idaho in a JL with questionable electronics ? Doubt it .

That entire "invoice" business is a marketing scam to con you into thinking you are getting their best deal .

Last edited:

Danimalnutz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Mojito Rubicon 4dr Soft Top
Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 4.31.46 PM.png
That is roughly 8% off invoice employee is normally 4.5%ish. That is a great deal you have in hand did you get it in NC? I would snatch that deal up

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport

Howard
Yes, it is fair , with a slight advantage to the stealer . The stealer makes about 20% off msrp , so 10% off msrp would be a 50-50 even split . That is why they will never go below 10% .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I went to Dennis Dillon . DD gave me a good price without asking.
I ordered the next day through Dennis Dillon (~7k cheaper with FCA financing). They ultimately did a great job and I received exactly what was promised.
I assume, you're not coming to ID .
I would have paid 8% under MSRP to purchase from my original sales guy. He put all the work in. 2% difference @ 40k is $800.
I'm not rich, but I would have a hard time driving across state lines to save $800.
Dennis Dillon is the best discount for the buyer , but that involves a long trip back from Idaho , and an airline ticket going there . What if the new Jeep has a sudden electronics problem in the badlands ? Ya think Dennis Dillon will send a mechanic 600 miles into the badlands to rescue you ? Ha ! That's where the poor quality control in building the electronics becomes very important .
Sponsored