Sponsored

JL corrosion

JEEP FAN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue, 2018 RAM REBEL Crew Cab 4x4, 2018 Dodge Journey SXT AWD
Occupation
Enjoying our fist Jeep.......
also its covered under warranty
I appreciate that it’s covered under warranty, but right now I have it on 3 of 4 doors, I’ll guarantee they won’t paint the 4th door until it “surfaces”. Plus on a $55,000 vehicle less than 2 years old I didn’t plan on beginning the process of countless lost hours running a vehicle between the dealership and body shop, since my dealer doesn’t have it’s on shop in my smaller rural area.
I bought this for my wife, who at 46 and 26 years of marriage, actually says “she loves her Jeep”, which she has NEVER said about any vehicle she’s ever had before, they were just a means to get around. So I’m seriously stuck with this thing, otherwise it would be gone!!! Sorry for venting, I think we are all finding this issue a real nuisance!
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
How did the OP get the two hinge bolts out without TFU the paint.

wonder if one could apply PPF between the door and the hinge.

Disappointing they dont paint the surface of the door where it contacts the hinge.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I’m not absolutely sure you need an electrolyte 100% of the time for a reaction. Sure, that will accelerate the reaction and make it happen within hours instead of a year or two. But water or no water it will still happen, in my opinion, the process will just be very very slow and it will be long-term.

I would paint the interior hinges myself with some red primer on my one-month-old 2021 right now if I knew how to remove the hinge without messing up all the paint on the bolts.
High Humidity will act as an electrolyte too. What it all comes down to is crappy prep work and design. If they wanted Aluminum doors, then they should have used Aluminum hinges, with properly coated bolts.

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
:LOL: :CWL: :LOL: I see you have never owned a TJ! My TJ looks at stuff like that on my JL and thinks its a protective coating. It gets jealous and let's another bolt rust off.
The TJs had their own fun rust issue. The tires would kick up water and mud into the frame holes in the wheel well. There was no drainage hole in the bottom of the frame on the corners by the wheel wells, so water would pool and rot it from the inside out. It would look great on the outside, but would be rotting from the inside. Eventually the rot gets bad enough that the control arm mount rips off

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
I appreciate that it’s covered under warranty, but right now I have it on 3 of 4 doors, I’ll guarantee they won’t paint the 4th door until it “surfaces”. Plus on a $55,000 vehicle less than 2 years old I didn’t plan on beginning the process of countless lost hours running a vehicle between the dealership and body shop, since my dealer doesn’t have it’s on shop in my smaller rural area.
I bought this for my wife, who at 46 and 26 years of marriage, actually says “she loves her Jeep”, which she has NEVER said about any vehicle she’s ever had before, they were just a means to get around. So I’m seriously stuck with this thing, otherwise it would be gone!!! Sorry for venting, I think we are all finding this issue a real nuisance!
My dealership did it on all 5 doors and the hood, even though only was showing on 3 doors, just need to find the right dealership

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jerolife

Jerolife

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl sport
Occupation
Has waste process engineering
It is not a water issue. It is a galvanic corrosion issue because the hinge and the door are dissimilar metals (aluminum and steel). Through a process called electron sharing. the proper fix is to isolate the 2 metal types through paint or another type of isolation. then the problem will stop
Both are aluminum

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
After reading threads like this (and the others), I'm tempted to do something before there is an issue but like others I'm afraid I'll mess up the paint on the bolts...

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
After reading threads like this (and the others), I'm tempted to do something before there is an issue but like others I'm afraid I'll mess up the paint on the bolts...
We need to figure something out and get this done! I’m not waiting until I see signs and then having to go through headache after headache with horrible workmanship and, even worse, paint matching issues...
At this point I’d be so happy if the hinge bolts were unpainted just like the cowl bolts:facepalm:

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
We need to figure something out and get this done! I’m not waiting until I see signs and then having to go through headache after headache with horrible workmanship and, even worse, paint matching issues...
At this point I’d be so happy if the hinge bolts were unpainted just like the cowl bolts:facepalm:
Honestly, I can't believe there is not a recall\class action type suite for this. Then again, don't shoot me, maybe it is not as wide spread a problem as you see on the forums? I know quite a few people at work\home with Wranglers all within the past 5-10 years of age and none of them have ever had the issue, or even know what I'm talking about when I mention it.

Me, as a new owner, it's freaking me out just thinking about it to the point that I need to stop thinking about it, lol.

Sponsored

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Honestly, I can't believe there is not a recall\class action type suite for this. Then again, don't shoot me, maybe it is not as wide spread a problem as you see on the forums? I know quite a few people at work\home with Wranglers all within the past 5-10 years of age and none of them have ever had the issue, or even know what I'm talking about when I mention it.

Me, as a new owner, it's freaking me out just thinking about it to to the point that I need to stop thinking about it, lol.
I have actually been working with a firm on a class action suit

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I live out in the dry ass desert, I can't remember the last time we had rain but I know it's been at least 7 months. No problems with mine so far but corrosion takes forever to set in in this environment. That being said, I probably won't see a problem until my Jeep is 10 years old or more, which can be a problem itself as I will certainly not be in warranty by then. I'd just take them apart myself and make a rubber gasket or coat the bare surfaces with something but I just know I'll end up dicking up the paint on one or many of the bolts.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The issue is the aluminum will slowly show galvanic corrosion even without water or other factors. Just takes longer.

It's a big issue on aircraft and lots of inspections/maintenance is to keep that under control.