Sponsored

JL Bikini Tops?

JJW_ND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
Just a followup.....when I put on the bikini top setup I like to keep it on for a while (month or two of summer). My jeep is a daily driver and we also take it out of town. With the 2dr Windjammer added the Jeep is 98% rainproof. It is 100% dry when setting and getting rained on. It only lets a very small amount to water past the rear seat-belt holes when driving in rain. It is also very sealed up from dust and wind when running on the interstate or gravel roads.

Prior to adding the 2dr windjammer, you could NOT drive when it was raining out as to much blew in the back. Also, you could not comfortably sit in the back seats at highway speeds (crazy windstorm) and blasted by rain. You could not drive gravel roads as to much dust constantly getting sucked in the open back and coated everything inside.

So if you like the bikini look AND want an almost total dry/rainproof setup AND be able to drive gravel roads AND travel at interstate speeds with people in back seats.....seal up the back with the 2dr windjammer.

jjw
ND

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Just a followup.....when I put on the bikini top setup I like to keep it on for a while (month or two of summer). My jeep is a daily driver and we also take it out of town. With the 2dr Windjammer added the Jeep is 98% rainproof. It is 100% dry when setting and getting rained on. It only lets a very small amount to water past the rear seat-belt holes when driving in rain. It is also very sealed up from dust and wind when running on the interstate or gravel roads.

Prior to adding the 2dr windjammer, you could NOT drive when it was raining out as to much blew in the back. Also, you could not comfortably sit in the back seats at highway speeds (crazy windstorm) and blasted by rain. You could not drive gravel roads as to much dust constantly getting sucked in the open back and coated everything inside.

So if you like the bikini look AND want an almost total dry/rainproof setup AND be able to drive gravel roads AND travel at interstate speeds with people in back seats.....seal up the back with the 2dr windjammer.

jjw
ND
Does the Windjammer fit the JL?

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have the spiderweb shade and LOVE IT! I burn very easily but still wanted to be able to ride with the top down. It is mesh so in a hard rain the water will get through. If it's a light rain it repels it. What's nice is once this top is on you do not have to take it off. You can still put the top on and off without having to remove the spiderweb shade.

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I have the small front only Alien shade. Love it. Install wasn't too bad, you don't need to lower the windshield but I did anyway just for ease. No flapping, it's tight, don't whistle or anything. Very happy with it. The red on my Rubi looks awsome too!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Glad y’all are enjoying your shades. But a shade is not a bikini top. Shade blocks sun but not rain. The bikini blocks rain but also blocks sun and doesn’t feel as open. Two totally different animals.

Last edited:

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Glad y’all are enjoying your shades. But a shade is not a bikini top. She be share blocks sun but not rain. The bikini blocks rain but also blocks sun and feels l as open. Two totally different animals.
Agree! I was wondering why sunshades were being posted here. A sunshade does me no good whatsoever unless I want a swimming pool inside after a unexpected shower, which happen all the time in the PNW (pacific northwest).. Sunny all day, rain for 10 minutes, back to sunny...

Uncreative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
accountant
I know it is not the prettiest thing out there but why not just go with the full soft top. Basically it is a bikini top when you take out all the windows.

My soft top is back ordered and I was thinking about trying to find some kind of bikini top as stop gap until the wife saw a picture of the soft top with no windows on it and said, what's the difference between this and what you want to buy? I did not have a great answer... so I sit here waiting for the soft top.
a bikini top keeps most of the rain off the dash and minimizes how soaked the seats get (bartact seat covers certainly lessen the worry and hassle of wet seats). as long as we don't have to drop the windshield, a bikini goes on fairly quickly. it is much lower profile than a full soft top. no need to door surrounds. the lowered soft top blocks more than half the view from the rearview mirror. bikini won't have that issue. plus: bikini can be rolled up and tossed in the back (may need to put the small back seat side down) so you have some peace of mind versus rain if you're travelling.

Uncreative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
accountant
I called best top and was told spring of next year lol. I’m wanting a full length safari top, I don’t do mesh as it rains a lot where I’m heading. I plan on removing the hard top and putting the freedom tops back on to keep from burning my noggin until something comes out.
the JLU soft top IS a safari top. while I love have a soft top, I really dislike the safari look so I'll leave the side windows in if the top has to be on and up :(

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
the lowered soft top blocks more than half the view from the rearview mirror
Definitely not true. You just need to get yourself some nice velcro straps, take 10 seconds, and loop it up securely. I use two straps that I bought from Home Depot for 5 bucks, and the tightened top doesn't even come near to the tip of the backup light (factory positioned).

Uncreative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
accountant
Definitely not true. You just need to get yourself some nice velcro straps, take 10 seconds, and loop it up securely. I use two straps that I bought from Home Depot for 5 bucks, and the tightened top doesn't even come near to the tip of the backup light (factory positioned).
I absolutely did that with my jku. this new jlu ... the top is super tight, very little give/flex to cinch it down any more, it already sits just below the backup light ... which sits barely above the 35" spare LOL. I've always got Velcro straps with me, I'll fidget with it again before leaving work today. thanks for the nudge :)

Uncreative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
accountant
Wait for Rampage to ship it with the top? They told me, when I spoke with them on the phone, that it's included...

I am going to call Rampage again tomorrow just to double confirm..
I couldn't find the product on the rampage site so submitted a "contact us" form. them promptly emailed back:

We have this part in production with an estimated ship date on 9/28/18. Since it has not been released yet, we do not have the final installation instructions available. There are 3 different styles that will be available.

Jeri Beall | Technical Service Associate | Lund International
678.804.3819 p | c | 1.800.438.3788 f
Office: 4325 Hamilton Mill Rd. | Buford,GA | 30518​
Sponsored