Jeep Wave Etiquette

darlene

First Name
Tink
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Mojito
First time jeep owner. I live in RI, but do a lot of driving in Mass too. I would say I get about 80-90% wave/wave back ✌between both states. (from both men & women)
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's because you live in New York? Haha! Just kidding.

In my area, the return wave or other driver initiating waves is pretty high. I'd say about 75-80% of the Jeeps I pass. In fact, my wife jokes, "it's a brotherhood."

But I have noticed, owners over the age of 60, tend not to wave back. I've also noticed a high number of the ones that do not wave back are unmodified sport owners. Maybe they just wanted a jeep, but don't really get into the whole wave thing.
Oh no you didn't... ;) I'm a native NY'er (Staten Island)... We've been accused of using only one finger.

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I am a new female Jeep owner. My last rig was a 72 Land Cruiser, built out... That was a while ago, I am returning to the trails. I never heard of the Jeep wave before.

Betting I am not alone, and that this behavior is not gender specific.

But this thread does bring back all those memories of woman off-roaders being generally dissed.

Thanks. I will wave now and report results!

Last edited:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I am a new female Jeep owner. My last rig was a 72 Land Cruiser, built out... That was a while ago, I am returning to the trails. I never heard of the Jeep wave before.

But this thread does bring back all those memories of woman off-roaders being generally dissed.

Thanks. I will wave now and teport results!
Welcome to the Jeep family, and consider this your first online Jeep wave :like:

Sponsored

Tampasport

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl sport bright white
I'm also a female, first time jeep owner. My sales guy actually made sure to lecture me about the jeep wave before I drove off. At first I thought he was joking, but now, i'm always waving!!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I'm also a female, first time jeep owner. My sales guy actually made sure to lecture me about the jeep wave before I drove off. At first I thought he was joking, but now, i'm always waving!!
Hope you enjoy your Jeep. Waving is just a neat little extra that comes with it.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

Thanks. I will wave now and report results!
Dissed? Thinking among other reasons there is a high probability of a women needing help on anything that might break on a rig. There is also a high probability that metrosexuals will be on the trail too...the probability isnt as high as the girl-ez. for needing help.

So basically women are annoying work for men on the trail just like men are annoying work for women around the house...unless of course something breaks. Statistically speaking of course. lol

Of course none of the above annoyances between men and women matter if the girl is hot enough or the man has a big enough wallet. Statistically speaking of course. lol

Sponsored

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
I get about a 75% return rate in WA. I figure the remaining 25% either don't know it's a thing (do these people ever wonder why people keep waving at them?), or they just don't notice the passing Wrangler (I'm guilty of this from time to time).

My wife has a theory that true off-roaders wave more than mall-crawlers, which may be partially true, but I don't agree fully. I get return waves from all sorts of Wranglers, though people with modified Wranglers do seem to wave more.

Sadly, I have also noticed that men wave more than women. Not sure why.

I'm definitely a Waver (peace symbol on the wheel, full open hand, salute, whatever), and I don't take it personally if I don't get a wave in return. The waves you get back more than make up for the non-waves. It's a pretty cool cultural phenomenon that's reserved for few vehicles -- motorcycles (mainly Harleys) and Corvettes included. Maybe old-school Beetles as well.

I do think the wave percentage goes up or down depending on the location. In heavy traffic in the city, maybe not so many waves. Passing on a remote country road, it's probably close to 100%. Some places make me wonder, though, such as Moab. I'll be there soon, and it'll be interesting to see if I get any waves. I mean, there are so many Wranglers there, you'd be holding up your fingers constantly.

bentaxle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mall Crawlers usually get a bad rap but it takes alot more technical skill then driving lets say in the wide open Moab plus we have to deal with the Anti-Crawler Mall Security Guards with their flashing yellow roof lights.

mallcrawljeep.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Dissed? Thinking among other reasons there is a high probability of a women needing help on anything that might break on a rig. There is also a high probability that metrosexuals will be on the trail too...the probability isnt as high as the girl-ez. for needing help.

So basically women are annoying work for men on the trail just like men are annoying work for women around the house...unless of course something breaks. Statistically speaking of course. lol

Of course none of the above annoyances between men and women matter if the girl is hot enough or the man has a big enough wallet. Statistically speaking of course. lol
And I'm going to guess you are single...