Jeep Wave Etiquette

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I've tried and I just can't do it. I feel like my five year-old son who loses his mind when he sees another kid wearing the same color shorts.

My buddy (drives a JK) tries to get me to wave. Worse, when he's a passenger in my Jeep, he waves on my behalf when I won't. Makes him look like my special needs brother. "Look! Someone got me out of the house! We're gonna get seven pancakes from Ihop!"
Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've tried and I just can't do it. I feel like my five year-old son who loses his mind when he sees another kid wearing the same color shorts.
Just lift a finger or two and wink, it looks cooler. I have a long history of it. First Jeep, CJ5 people waved 90+%. Lived in rural community for 13 years, EVERYONE waves. Had Mini Cooper, they are a waving bunch too.

I will admit, the rarity of Jeeps is no more and on my 8 mile commute to work I can encounter half a dozen Jeeps. If it is a two lane road, almost have to wave. Ad more lanes and rush hour, meh.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I ALWAYS wave. The response varies here in RI. I probably get a return wave 60% of the time. Once in a great while, someone else will wave first or simultaneously, but I'm usually the first to offer. I'll also see if women wave less often as others have mentioned. Haven't noticed that yet, but I think it's probably true here, too.

My girls (ages 7 & 9) LOVE the Jeep wave (this is my first Wrangler). In fact, if their windows are down, they'll stick their hands out and wave, too. They get VERY upset when people don't wave back and often yell "SELL YOUR JEEP!!" from the backseat.
Haha! love their response!

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Sad to hear... bout half of the waves I’ve gotten have been from females. The ones I get REALLY excited about is when its a rubi. Yes that is some internal bias of mine, but when I see one of those I think yes! That’s her rubi! Lol!
I wonder if Saharas wave at other Saharas now. I usually only get waves from other Rubicons or Sports.

My Rubicon has a chick on the side and back now so people know it is a girl's Jeep even when I am parked at the mall. ;)

IMG_20180905_095810_989.jpg

1528334599186-624.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if Saharas wave at other Saharas now. I usually only get waves from other Rubicon or Sports.

My Rubicon has a chick on the side and back now so people know it is a girl's Jeep even when I am parked at the mall. ;)

IMG_20180905_095810_989.jpg

1528334599186-624.jpg
Yes, we wave... lol

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I just give a kinda finger wave off the steering wheel, like a peace sign with my thumb up as well and I wave at every Wrangler, sorry no Cherokees, Renegades, FJ’s etc.....

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
While generally I wave sometimes I'm preoccupied thinking about something or just focused on the road to notice other jeeps passing by. I just don't know why so many people seem preoccupied with people not waving back. Pretty sure it isn't personal.

DCNWB

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
I am a new Jeep owner. It didn't take very long to figure out the Jeep Wave thing. I love it! It seems crazy, but puts me in a good mood when people are friendly. I'm usually on top of it although every once in a while someone will get past me (apologies!). I live in the Maineville, Ohio area (near Kings Island), which must be a heavily concentrated Jeep population. I don't discriminate...I wave to all Jeeps. I love the community concept. My boyfriend who lives in Brown County Ohio complains about the number of people that don't wave as well. We have concluded I live in the friendlier Jeep area.

wave.jpg

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am a new Jeep owner. It didn't take very long to figure out the Jeep Wave thing. I love it! It seems crazy, but puts me in a good mood when people are friendly. I'm usually on top of it although every once in a while someone will get past me (apologies!). I live in the Maineville, Ohio area (near Kings Island), which must be a heavily concentrated Jeep population. I don't discriminate...I wave to all Jeeps. I love the community concept. My boyfriend who lives in Brown County Ohio complains about the number of people that don't wave as well. We have concluded I live in the friendlier Jeep area.

wave.jpg
That would make a cool shirt

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

wave.jpg
My wife gets more waves same Jeep, she is much prettier so that probably has everything to do with it

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just give a kinda finger wave off the steering wheel, like a peace sign with my thumb up as well and I wave at every Wrangler, sorry no Cherokees, Renegades, FJ’s etc.....
Yes I wave with two fingers but if they don’t just lower one finger!

RI Music Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6-spd manual
Occupation
Daddy/Pipe Organ Tech/Musician
While generally I wave sometimes I'm preoccupied thinking about something or just focused on the road to notice other jeeps passing by. I just don't know why so many people seem preoccupied with people not waving back. Pretty sure it isn't personal.
I'm sure most don't take it personally, nor are we preoccupied. But it just feels good... especially in today's world where most people are just preoccupied with themselves. It's nice to know that most of humanity is still friendly.

Driving home from New Jersey in I-95 the other day, I noticed a yellow Wrangler working his way up the passing lane. It was 82 degrees, so I had the top down for the 3 1/2-hr ride home. I gave a peace sign out the window just before he passed. As he went by me, he returned the peace sign ..but he had to lean out in front of something that was in his passenger seat. He could have easily just drove past OR lifted his fingers off the steering wheel. In this case, he went way above and beyond and leaned across his entire front seat to make sure he was seen. Made me smile to see that extra effort. That's what it's all about, kids!

And for the record, we ALWAYS wave from our SAHARA.
Sponsored