Jeep vs Defender

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
there's a two door version too so clearly they are trying to tap all areas of the market
Sponsored

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I think they'll have an upscale version, because it's Land Rover, and they'll have a stripped down version because they need it to be a volume seller in order to make the business case.

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
My best friend is a Land Rover maniac, and he is furious that Land Rover won't make a Defender in similar style to the JL. He has said that Land Rover does not want to cater to the enthusiast crowd, and something about European Pedestrian laws and that the JL front in is flat, or something of the sort.

I always make a point to point out how much the JL looks like it was inspired by a mix of old Jeep and Defender. Drives him NUTS.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is what a Defender should look like... This is my brother's 130 in Namibia.

Defender.jpg

Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I think they'll have an upscale version, because it's Land Rover, and they'll have a stripped down version because they need it to be a volume seller in order to make the business case.
Even if they make it, I bet they will only sell the super pricey one in US.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite

New Defender

Screenshot_1-1-768x457.png

Dork city. What a joke. Sometimes it boggles my mind how obviously wrong corporations can get things. They needed a body on frame, halo vehicle, like the JL, to show they are still a real off-road company. You want to keep all others unibody? Fine. But you have to have 1 true off roader, not some squishy unibody that uses "space age software" to do similar things to the old one.

They blew it. Not even in the same zip code as the right answer.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Dork city. What a joke. Sometimes it boggles my mind how obviously wrong corporations can get things. They needed a body on frame, halo vehicle, like the JL, to show they are still a real off-road company. You want to keep all others unibody? Fine. But you have to have 1 true off roader, not some squishy unibody that uses "space age software" to do similar things to the old one.

They blew it. Not even in the same zip code as the right answer.
If it performs, who cares?

FWIW, I own a series 3 109, so am an enthusiast, but ffs it's almost 2020. If they can make it perform like a solid axle, body on frame off road but be comfortable and useable on, it's a good vehicle.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
If it performs, who cares?
I'd rather have real capability than the machine-emulated version of capability. And it won't perform any better than any other soft roader, like a Land Cruiser, etc. Nothing can touch the Jeep at this point. The old defender was a spirit animal, this version is just another grocery getter that can ford puddles.

Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
I'd rather have real capability than the machine-emulated version of capability. And it won't perform any better than any other soft roader, like a Land Cruiser, etc. Nothing can touch the Jeep at this point. The old defender was a spirit animal, this version is just another grocery getter that can ford puddles.
I remember people saying the exact same thing when land rover switched to coils on the defender. Jeep was only 10 years late with that one on the wrangler.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I remember people saying the exact same thing when land rover switched to coils on the defender. Jeep was only 10 years late with that one on the wrangler.
Totally the same thing, yeah

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
In the Middle East there is an xtreme
They are sold for $ 42,000

_DSC1956 (1).jpg

_DSC0354.jpg

main.jpeg
:like:
Nice, but I like the aesthetic fo the two door myself (very subjective).

New Defender

Screenshot_1-1-768x457.png

:swear:
Landrover; please GOOGLE up some old Defender 90 images for inspiration before designing a Defender!
Sponsored