Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I came here to say this. Hence, the line in my signature about "big scary stickers". There are a lot of non-Rubicon owners who have zero idea what they're talking about and LOVE to mouth off about how "Rubicons are a waste of money". So let's address that first:
1). They're only a waste of money if you don't use them
2). You're not paying for it, so mind your own.
3). It's better to have something if you think you'll want it and end up not needing it, Than to need something and not have it.
4). This also assumes every buyer knows exactly what they want to do with their Jeep, and the fact is- most just don't (more on that after).

There's similar mentality in personal finance groups I've been in; Don't ever admit you love cars in those, especially big, stupid 4x4's or muscle cars with giant, high horsepower v8's. The mods regularly have to remind people "Personal finance is personal" to cut through some of the BS Dogma and end the flame wars. Similarly, This is always a personal decision, and so it will vary from person to person.

Usually when someone asks my opinion, I ask them: what are you going to do with it?
If it's going to never see off road? Buy a Sport.
Are you planning on going off roading? Buy a Rubicon.
Are you planning on having a daily driver/ weekend warrior off roading? Rubicon
Just going to the beach and camping, going on vacation, etc? Sport
Are you going to go all in on a hardcore, trail only build where you're running 40+" tires? Buy the cheapest you can- Sport or wrecked.
Most importantly, what can you get a deal on? This is the biggest consideration. If you can get a screaming deal on an optioned up Sahara and you're not looking to go off roading, why not go for it? You can always add stuff later on.
Anything else, and it's truly somewhere in the middle. I've seen too many friends buy their first Jeep, pay for a decked out Sahara or Sport with a bunch of options, and then years later, when they're pricing out lockers, axle swaps, etc, they're cursing and saying to me "I wish I knew better back then, I would have skipped this and went with a Rubicon".

I imagine a lot of the vehement Anti-(insert trim level here) comes from jealousy, or people that believe it is a status symbol, or that hilariously inaccurate "Built not Bought" adage- which is also nonsense because let's face it- unless you bought a tube chassis, or a wrecked Jeep with a salvage title- we all bought running, driving, Wranglers. It's especially silly when it comes from guys running $3k of fancy 20" wheels on a $400 Rough Country special kit- and you see that stupidity on all trim levels. It's also no coincidence that they're on here complaining about the ride and death wobble etc. several months later. But I digress...

And for everyone still screeching about "buying a sport and building it up is still cheaper than a Rubicon"- that predicates you finding a VERY cheap vehicle to start with, and when you add up all the cost it ends up being even, if not more. The Rubicon just front loads that cost. I've had 3 Jeeps (1 sport, 2 Rubis), all build to be daily drivers/ weekend warriors. I've done the math. I know I'm going to get more use out of a Rubi NOW than a Sport that I build up over the next X years, so I'm ok with that.
I can't tell if this post is supposed to be ironic or not.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Great nighttime reading of the discussion/banter back and forth but, honestly, I just kept scrolling because the advertisement caught my eye and I thought it would start a slideshow if I kept scrolling :giggle:.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT E74EC462-04DD-4482-99AD-8744D89E3079

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I'm on motorcycle forums too, and I remember one of the long running threads was whether or not to wave at people on scooters. :CWL:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I can't tell if this post is supposed to be ironic or not.
I was mostly serious, responding to something an earlier user said. More than once I've weighed in with a response/ information and some jackass who has zero idea comes in with a "OH here come all the Rubicon owners whining because they're not special anymore!/ To justify their overspending for stickers!" or something equally ridiculous and unrelated to the discussion... Dude, what? We were talking about half doors, or suspension choices...etc.

and for the record, I 100% agree with OP on some of the snobbery that goes on within these niche specific communities and how absolutely ridiculous it is; That said, if someone asks for opinions, I'm will usually share mine, as well as my supporting reasoning for my choice and use case, in hopes it gives others some sort of insight or benchmark for those looking for information. That's the format for most of my responses.

If further clarification is needed, let me know.

Sponsored

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
YUP Same! I oftentimes find myself trying to wave at a Jeep when I'm on my motorcycle lol and vice versa.
LOL I waved at a Jeep while riding my bike today without even thinking about it - until they looked at me like they thought I must have thought I knew them haha!

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I Daily Drive a TJ & a JL. I used to drive a CJ-5.
as Long as it’s a Jeep.... I am waiving....or if your on the side of the road....Iam going to come back and check if I can be of help to you. It’s a Jeep thing. I don’t segregate Jeeps by models.......JT included too.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
LOL I waved at a Jeep while riding my bike today without even thinking about it - until they looked at me like they thought I must have thought I knew them haha!
ROFL!!!! YUP! If they rode, they probably would've understood why you did it lol! We got it pretty bad :LOL:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on motorcycle forums too, and I remember one of the long running threads was whether or not to wave at people on scooters. :CWL:
Hahahhahahaa!! Ahhh bruhh and Trikes! Let's not forget them! I seriously was "nobbish" about this at one point and was like Trikes have 3 wheels...they're "cheating".

What changed my mind was I was in communication with a young woman who had a trike and the most adorable little boy. Now I support all "Trikers" and even have tried to convince my riding group that we should be more inclusive! :LOL:

Isn't it funny how we get in our OWN way? Legit...there was NO reason for me to have those feelings in the first place? Why would I hate on a trike, thereby feeling some type of way toward someone who wants to enjoy their ride like I enjoy mine? It's human nature for ya...that's why self-checking is necessary, at least for me!

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have a 2020 JLUR that I picked up on Sep 5. I haven’t even made the first payment yet and have 1800+ miles more than half of that is off road. My neighbor laughs at me and says “You are one of the few people I know that would spend $50K on a Jeep and drive it like a Jeep from day one.” My answer is simply “That’s why I bought it... to go off reading.” I say if you drive a Sahara, a Sport, or a Rubi... you do you! If you are in the High Desert and want to go wheeling, hit me up! I am always down to get them Jeep dirty! Don’t worry about other people say... they dont pay your bills so fuck’em!
I had my new Rubicon on the trail the 2nd day of ownership. I say wheel it.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I Daily Drive a TJ & a JL. I used to drive a CJ-5.
as Long as it’s a Jeep.... I am waiving....or if your on the side of the road....Iam going to come back and check if I can be of help to you. It’s a Jeep thing. I don’t segregate Jeeps by models.......JT included too.
I do a pretty good job of going over my Jeep before I head out to Jeep. I drive my Jeep all over the country to wheel. I always carry a full set of tools with me. Luck is with me, I have never used my tools to work on my Jeep while travailing or wheeling. I always stop if I think someone needs help. I have assisted many along the way. Need a zip tie? here you go. I got an impact gun if you need it to change that tire or a tire repair kit to plug it and on board air... Put the crescent wrench away. Here is the correct wrench or socket... Trailer lights not working, you have a broken wire, here is wire stripper, and a low heat soldering connector.

I say pay it forward. We are all Jeepers and should help each other and even the one that are not Jeepers. The JL has all metric fasteners, yet I still carry a decent selection of SAE tools also. You just never know if you might be the one that saves someone from a 20 mile walk off the trail.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
The ideal of free speech most certainly *IS* between you and other individuals. It's also codified as a limit on government in our BoR.

Your advocacy of the ignore feature further illustrates a mind that cannot tolerate difference of opinion and craves censorship....and that's fine; totally your prerogative. If this is the last you see of my posts....I wish you well in spite of your continued vitriol to legitimate questioning of your espoused positions.

I'm not sure (based on your flatly erroneous understanding of the "nature of humanity") you understand what a generalization is...but whatever. You've made up your mind....so be it.

Your "assessment" is also flawed....what if after getting punched in the mouth, the person punched then kicks the ever loving shit out of the one that escalated the discussion to violence? Then what? There goes that "theory".

Back to Jeep stuff indeed. :like:
I don't use the ignore button. So much for that theory of craving censorship.

My assessment is not flawed, the person that decides to escalate to violence makes a risk assessment and then has to live with the repercussions of their action. Just like being disrespectful, sometimes you get away with it, other times you may get called on it.

I have seen guys in prison for escalating to violence with the one punch that then causes the death of another. The risk is real, yet you do not have to search hard on YouTube to see people getting their ass kicked for being disrespectful. Sometimes they win sometimes they don't. Yet even if the person that punches you in the face for being disrespectful, looses the fight, you may be more hesitant the next time to be disrespectful to them because you may have to fight them every time you are disrespectful to them. I have seen this played out many time also. In prison, you don't have to win the fight, you just have to be willing to fight. If the other prisoners knew you were willing to fight, they would move on to easier prey. Human nature or nature in general. Prey on the weak that can't or will not fight.