Jeep Purchase in another state

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Yup, that’s all good and fine. What was an unappreciated and unforeseen pain in the ass was needing to weigh the truck and get it smog tested. I had to take my time and money to prove what the factory decals under the hood and in the door jam said about vehicle weight and emissions. On a brand new truck.

Flippin’ ridiculous, but that along with the long wait on paperwork and “proving” to the CA DMV that I had paid enough sales tax in AZ was enough for me.

Never again.
That is crazy- having to prove the truck GVW. Dealing with know-nothing government workers will seriously take years off of everyone’s lives.

As far as sales tax goes, its the state where the car is titled/registered that collects the sales tax. As long as you have the COO in hand you can do your own tag/tax/title work in your home state. I know the “dealer doc fee” is technically paid to have all of this done for you, but I’ve always felt fine just doing it all myself. It takes a half hour max.

Even when I buy my new cars in-state they’ll waive the dealer doc fee as long as I do my own tag and title work at the DMV- it’s so easy my wife has even done it. That’s a $500 additional savings on each car we buy.

Cash is king!
Sponsored