RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Just as a postscript--when I drove my JL from the Koons Tyson dealership in Vienna, VA, back to the NY Metro area, I think I would have had to work at getting the tachometer beyond 3000 RPMS even on highway driving.

Now, is that because it's an automatic, or at my age I drive rigs more like milk trucks than race cars?.....maybe...;)...and I down shift/engine brake on decents.

But for the record, the Koons buy, I say after the fact (your mileage might vary, literally and figuratively) was absolutely right for me, I'd do it again in a heart beat given their professionalism, my personal distance, and because for me, I could literally walk to mass transit systems that ultimately put me in walking distance to the dealer on the "going" side of the trip, sans-vehicle.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Mine was at a dealership in Fort Wayne, IN and was driven to Shelbyville, KY. It had a little over 300 miles of interstate driving on it when I took possession. I'm sure that the employee who drove the Jeep down to KY used cruise control. Who knows if he romped on it any or not.

After reading this thread, I guess I should be terrified. :whew:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was at a dealership in Fort Wayne, IN and was driven to Shelbyville, KY. It had a little over 300 miles of interstate driving on it when I took possession. I'm sure that the employee who drove the Jeep down to KY used cruise control. Who knows if he romped on it any or not.

After reading this thread, I guess I should be terrified. :whew:
Actually, I wouldn't worry. Much, if not all of the most critical part of break in is done at the factory where the Pentastar is made, before it even ships to Toledo. After that, we're just being cautious. Besides, even if they did mash it, it wouldn't have been for more than a few seconds. Much of the time, it is older men who do those drives. Don't lose any sleep over it, if your engine is running and performing well.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Actually, I wouldn't worry. Much, if not all of the most critical part of break in is done at the factory where the Pentastar is made, before it even ships to Toledo. After that, we're just being cautious. Besides, even if they did mash it, it wouldn't have been for more than a few seconds. Much of the time, it is older men who do those drives. Don't lose any sleep over it, if your engine is running and performing well.
Yeah I know. I was more or less being sarcastic. :)

Besides, mine is a lease so it'll be under powertrain warranty the entire time I'm making payments on it.

Since I've had the Jeep, I've taken it easy nevertheless. I'm waiting for the odometer to cross 1,000 miles later this week. Then I'll drive it for fun. Why 1,000 miles? Eh... it's just a psychological barrier in my head. :)

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I am curious to know what everyone thinks I am picking up my jeep in Caldwell at Dennis Dillon. The first day within probably 75 miles I am heading up to silver city to do some exploring in 4 wheel drive. I don’t think I’ll need low range but you you never know. The area is an old mining area and may even have snow on the ground so it is possible. Since it is breakin do you see any problems?

Sponsored

BluegrassGal

I am curious to know what everyone thinks I am picking up my jeep in Caldwell at Dennis Dillon. The first day within probably 75 miles I am heading up to silver city to do some exploring in 4 wheel drive. I don’t think I’ll need low range but you you never know. The area is an old mining area and may even have snow on the ground so it is possible. Since it is breakin do you see any problems?
Suggest don’t get too far off the grid on initial runs off-road

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I just bought a new JLUR but it had 416 miles on it. I believe it was a dealer trade and was driven from Provo to Las Vegas by a professional driver who does this for a living.
I have no idea how it was driven, I am hoping he didn't go past 4k RPM or used cruise control.
I am now having some concerns reading this topic thread. :)
But on the other hand, it saved me the trouble of doing the break in.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
But if the rings don't get properly seated or if it wasn't broken in properly, what are the symptoms I should be looking for?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
But if the rings don't get properly seated or if it wasn't broken in properly, what are the symptoms I should be looking for?
Unnecessary anxiety. I'm super anal but the reality is it probably doesn't matter. Look at all the rentals, loaners, etc that just get driven and still turn out fine at the end.

With that said I follow the book on break in.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
You would burn oil.

HOWEVER: Modern engines have coated rings and cylinder walls so that they seat quickly, because they must pass Federal and sometimes State emissions tests before they're allowed to be sold. This can't happen unless the rings are seated. Generally this now happens at the engine factory during a test run of the engine on a rig before it's shipped to the auto assembly plant to be installed in the car. Beyond that, "break-in" nowadays consists of the bearings and other slidy parts getting to know each other, and they don't really care that much about the rpm you're running. High speed running isn't good for "tight" axles because they could overheat, but the reality is that the axles will likely outlast the rest of the vehicle anyhow, so.

In other words, drive the thing, and don't worry about it. What happens, will happen.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
You would burn oil.

HOWEVER: Modern engines have coated rings and cylinder walls so that they seat quickly, because they must pass Federal and sometimes State emissions tests before they're allowed to be sold. This can't happen unless the rings are seated. Generally this now happens at the engine factory during a test run of the engine on a rig before it's shipped to the auto assembly plant to be installed in the car. Beyond that, "break-in" nowadays consists of the bearings and other slidy parts getting to know each other, and they don't really care that much about the rpm you're running. High speed running isn't good for "tight" axles because they could overheat, but the reality is that the axles will likely outlast the rest of the vehicle anyhow, so.

In other words, drive the thing, and don't worry about it. What happens, will happen.
Thanks!

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Unnecessary anxiety. I'm super anal but the reality is it probably doesn't matter. Look at all the rentals, loaners, etc that just get driven and still turn out fine at the end.

With that said I follow the book on break in.
Thank you. I am a worrier. :)

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
When the engine is not past the break in phase would it be bad to sit in the car with the engine running and play with the electronics?

Another way of asking - is letting the car idle before break in period is over bad?

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
When the engine is not past the break in phase would it be bad to sit in the car with the engine running and play with the electronics?

Another way of asking - is letting the car idle before break in period is over bad?
I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going to let it idle for hours and hours and hours.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
My experience with driving from Vegas back home in SoCal. I did drive on the freeway. I varied my speed and didn't use the cruise control. I kept the Jeep below 70 MPH. I figured that was good enough and not too crazy for these modern motors.
Sponsored